2011 GL350 CPS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL350 BlueTec
Question 2011 GL350 CPS

Hello forum.

For about a month my car was driving sluggish, loosing power, and it felt like boost was cutting out, long revs.. all the classic symptoms of a bad CPS.

Ordered a camshaft and crankshaft sensor. I located the CPS but there's a cover over it without any sort of way to remove it. So I wanted to know how does it come off. Engine om642 diesel.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 01-10-2022, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
I'm subscribing to find out the procedure for future use!

Pete, how did you diagnose it was the culprit? Can you better describe how the car was driving? Would it still rev up to full RPM's? Was the check engine light on? Thanks!

EDIT: Just to add a better clarification of why I'm asking... I had also thought that a failing CPS (aside from setting a code) would cause idling problems and possibly even the engine cutting out/dying?

Last edited by DennisG01; 01-10-2022 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-10-2022, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL350 BlueTec
Question

Originally Posted by DennisG01
I'm subscribing to find out the procedure for future use!

Pete, how did you diagnose it was the culprit? Can you better describe how the car was driving? Would it still rev up to full RPM's? Was the check engine light on? Thanks!

EDIT: Just to add a better clarification of why I'm asking... I had also thought that a failing CPS (aside from setting a code) would cause idling problems and possibly even the engine cutting out/dying?
Hello DennisG01.
The symptoms were as follows, loss of power, boost was cutting out and it felt as if the car was in limb mode. Also while driving at highway speeds, sometimes it would not accelerate properly while merging and after driving at speeds it would feel that the car simply was sluggish. Once I was driving back from the store, the car simply became very sluggish and died. I was able to pull over to the curb and leave it there until I can get to the CPS and change it out.

I did have a check engine light on. I don't know what codes are there as my mb obd2 reader is arriving this week. I was able to get full rpm's out of the vehicle, but it's very sluggish. So at this point it's more of a preventive maintenance for the camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensor as they both should be changed out at 100k miles.

To answer your question, yes, it will do all of the above.

Now, it could also mean a lot of other things in the vehicle especially with the emissions recall that's pending, but you can fix that by implementing a 4.7k ohm resistor it'll run fine. But I know the vehicle and it's maintenance and that is what lead me to diagnose that the CPS is the problem.

Hope this helps and GL.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
R&I CKP Sensor 642 Eng..pdf (96.7 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by StenoPete1911; 01-10-2022 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-11-2022, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
Thank you, Pete, for the extra information. That is helpful and I will log it in my "mental" toolbox for future use!