Rain leak onto passenger floor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2022, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
Rain leak onto passenger floor

I noticed the front passenger floor getting damp. I checked the windshield cowl drain (the actual "tube" that drops down below the car) and it was clogged (thanks to a "messy" neighbor's tree). I pulled the seat out and pulled the carpet up and sure enough there was a bit of water down there. Not horrible - maybe an inch or so. Not really enough to cause a concern with any of the electronics since they were higher up (although sloshing could be a slight concern). But, I cleared the clog, dried everything up under the floor and let it sit for two days to further dry and sprayed down things with WD40 (this is one of the few times when WD40 IS good!). I even pulled apart a bunch of lower electrical connectors and physically cleaned/protected them. Put it all back together.

That was 5 days ago. Had a good rain last night... there was a little water on the floor mat. I just now checked to see if the cowl drain was clogged... it was not. So... did the drain tube clog up temporarily and then unclog as the rain softened the "clog"? OR... is there another drain area that can clog and cause water to show up on the front passenger floor?

I can run water from a hose down the windshield at a later time... when I have that thing that I hear is referred to as "free time"

Last edited by DennisG01; 06-02-2022 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-02-2022, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 612 Likes on 519 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
When this happens the cabin air filter box is the culprit. Since you’ve cleared the clog, what is left is residual moisture in the filters - they may be waterlogged.

you should check and replace them if so.
also go through the battery compartment again.
Old 06-02-2022, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
Thanks, Max. I did check the air filter last time and it was dry. The clog was definitely in the cowl drain - which is different than the filter box drain. But I'll check that again just to be sure. I'll check under the floor for water again - that's easy enough to do by parking on an incline and just removing the battery cover.

If it's not the cowl drain or filter box drain, I'm kinda stumped, though.
Old 06-03-2022, 09:33 AM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
In the market
Any links to a good article on which drains need looking at from time to time for maintenance reasons? (Mine never sits outside, but I would love to stay ahead of any potential problems)
Old 06-03-2022, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by not2fast
Any links to a good article on which drains need looking at from time to time for maintenance reasons? (Mine never sits outside, but I would love to stay ahead of any potential problems)
The two that have been mentioned, of course. Also the sunroof drains. Something like weed whacker line is usually pretty good at clearing clogs. You can just pour water into them to do a quick check, though, to make sure the water dumps out below the car... and not into the car!
Old 07-17-2022, 12:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 GL450
You can go find my magical journey to Narnia and the “fun” you’ll have. Doesn’t mean JUST that spot is leaking. I’ve stopped mine like I took it to a strip club and made it rain… It could be your roof rails as well. I’m currently trying to remove mine. Anything I can get out I’m pulling and driving it back in with black silicon adhesive. Once you get done you HAVE to purchase a ionizer to kill all of the bacteria, mold and mildew. It’s just sitting there and will make you sick. It’s pretty cool! I used it and there was NO smell. It’s insane. READ the directions and use caution!!!!! Once I get finished I will post the 3rd leg of the journey.

Amazon Amazon

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...e-gl-leak.html
Old 07-17-2022, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,084 Likes on 871 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Have the same ozone machine. There is definitely a smell but it is an ozone smell. It does work wonders on odors but, keep in mind, ozone is something you want to avoid breathing.
Old 07-18-2022, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 593 Likes on 499 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by DennisG01
The two that have been mentioned, of course. Also the sunroof drains. Something like weed whacker line is usually pretty good at clearing clogs. You can just pour water into them to do a quick check, though, to make sure the water dumps out below the car... and not into the car!
Do you know how the water gets inside the passenger compartment when the drains are stopped up?
Old 07-19-2022, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,084 Likes on 871 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
This killed my car so take action if you notice a leak or blocked drain. It may go down the A pillar and onto the floor or it could drip down from the roof onto the seat and then onto the front SAM. From there, all hell can break loose. Water dripping on the SAM caused the windows to roll down and the car got flooded in a severe rainstorm.