GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Mercedes GL Diesel 320. Intermitent gear selection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2022, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
Mercedes GL Diesel 320. Intermitent gear selection

Hi All

My friends GL 320 has started to have an intermittent gear selection issue, I am looking for some help on!
It has been driving fine for. months, then recently he gets a red error on the dash to drive to work shop, he can move the shifter physically up and down from park to drive etc, however no gears can be selected? Sometimes it can happen when he is on the move, sometimes its when he first starts the car?
I have read that a low battery can can be a possible cause? He advised that the charging voltage is 13.7V this seems a little low perhaps?

Any advise would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-06-2022, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 612 Likes on 519 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by A1EK
Hi All

My friends GL 320 has started to have an intermittent gear selection issue, I am looking for some help on!
It has been driving fine for. months, then recently he gets a red error on the dash to drive to work shop, he can move the shifter physically up and down from park to drive etc, however no gears can be selected? Sometimes it can happen when he is on the move, sometimes its when he first starts the car?
I have read that a low battery can can be a possible cause? He advised that the charging voltage is 13.7V this seems a little low perhaps?

Any advise would be great.

Thanks in advance.
battery charge voltage seems fine, look up speed sensor and conductor plate failure. Similar symptoms.
The following users liked this post:
A1EK (08-06-2022)