GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Airmatic malfunction warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2022, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL450
Airmatic malfunction warning

I've had the airmatic malfunction warning on my dash since I purchased my 2007 GL450 used a few months ago. The guy I bought my car from says that he had the airmatic system replaced with regular suspension, so the sensors think there is an error with the airmatic, but nothing is really wrong. How can I get the malfunction warning to go away? It was briefly mentioned to me by a friend that messing with the fuses in some way can reset the warning, but I wouldn't know how to go about this. I know this isn't much of an issue, but the malfunction warning bothers me, and if possible I would love to get it to go away. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-12-2022, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 606 Likes on 514 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
There’s a lot of ****ery needed to augment the ****ery that’s already been done to your car.
It’s not as simple as pulling a fuse, you’ll need to wire in a resistor to make the car think it still has a functioning airmatic system.
There’s some information on this topic if you just search coil spring conversion on this forum, as well as in the W164 and W251 forums.

Old 10-18-2022, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL450
Sounds like more work than it's worth then? Thank you for the info!
Old 10-18-2022, 05:21 PM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
I just had a thought on this....

I converted to springs some time ago and fooled the airmatic by zip-tieing the sensor arms at/near parallel to ground level (you'd have to find the sweet spot for YOUR sensors). I rarely get an airmatic error, but it does happen occasionally...

However, and here's my "new" thought on this: one should be able to zip-tie the sensors, then code the ride height using STAR so that the computer thinks the current sensor positions are at the "level" setting.

This is just a thought, I have not tried this since I do not have access to STAR/DAS or any equivalent diagnostic tool to set ride height.
The following users liked this post:
eric_in_sd (10-19-2022)
Old 10-18-2022, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 606 Likes on 514 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by Miguk_Saram
I just had a thought on this....

I converted to springs some time ago and fooled the airmatic by zip-tieing the sensor arms at/near parallel to ground level (you'd have to find the sweet spot for YOUR sensors). I rarely get an airmatic error, but it does happen occasionally...

However, and here's my "new" thought on this: one should be able to zip-tie the sensors, then code the ride height using STAR so that the computer thinks the current sensor positions are at the "level" setting.

This is just a thought, I have not tried this since I do not have access to STAR/DAS or any equivalent diagnostic tool to set ride height.
That’s not a bad work around, but if you press the raise button you’ll get the malfunction regardless Because there’s no change in level when commanded to.
and I’m aware there is a quick and easy fix for that which is not pressing the button.

There might be some thing else in star developer mode where you can tell the car it’s an ML instead of a GL and has the steel spring suspension.

Luftfederung nicht eingebaut.