GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Amazon OBD2 Scanner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 01:11 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2009 GL450
Amazon OBD2 Scanner

I need help in selecting an affordable but still well functioning device for my MY09 GL450.

Just way too many choices.

Thanks.
Old 02-24-2023, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 612 Likes on 519 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Autel or some other Das clone system.

do not buy an OBD two scanner off of Amazon, and think it will be able to talk to Mercedes.
Old 02-24-2023, 11:50 PM

2009 GL450
Originally Posted by Max Blast

do not buy an OBD two scanner off of Amazon, and think it will be able to talk to Mercedes.
Any specific recommendation or link. Thanks.
Old 02-25-2023, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 593 Likes on 499 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by Prince Somorin
Any specific recommendation or link. Thanks.
It is a difficult field to navigate. Every tool developer is tasked with copying the interfaces present in manufacturer-specific tools. Some get part way there, others further.

The best read-only tool I am aware of is the MBII ($200). The developers went to the trouble to learn how to query things like the pressure sensor reading in Airmatic. This is a huge leap beyond the simple OBD2 query tools ($10), which you ought to have anyway.

The best bidirectional - that is, reads from and writes to the various modules - tool that I am aware of is the Autel MP808 ($800) and higher. The benefit of this versus Xentry/STAR/DAS ($900) is that it is useful for makes other than just MB. The cost is that it is nowhere near as sophisticated, and one can never be quite certain of its veracity. But everything I have worked with and tested on it tells me it is legit.

The MB factory tool is dodgy, as it is a Chinese clone of the MB system, but that is the best one can do short of the genuine MB system, which costs more than the house you take photographs of air springs in.
The following users liked this post:
BlackML550 (02-26-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 593 Likes on 499 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by Max Blast

To be fair, the Autel MP808 is sold through Amazon. But I get your point; there are innumerable THIS DOES EEEEEEVERYTHING tools, call 'em Autel clones, which terrify me. There is no way of knowing where they fall short without exhaustive testing.
Old 02-25-2023, 03:25 PM

2009 GL450
Originally Posted by eric_in_sd
It is a difficult field to navigate. Every tool developer is tasked with copying the interfaces present in manufacturer-specific tools. Some get part way there, others further.

The best read-only tool I am aware of is the MBII ($200). The developers went to the trouble to learn how to query things like the pressure sensor reading in Airmatic. This is a huge leap beyond the simple OBD2 query tools ($10), which you ought to have anyway.

The best bidirectional - that is, reads from and writes to the various modules - tool that I am aware of is the Autel MP808 ($800) and higher. The benefit of this versus Xentry/STAR/DAS ($900) is that it is useful for makes other than just MB. The cost is that it is nowhere near as sophisticated, and one can never be quite certain of its veracity. But everything I have worked with and tested on it tells me it is legit.

The MB factory tool is dodgy, as it is a Chinese clone of the MB system, but that is the best one can do short of the genuine MB system, which costs more than the house you take photographs of air springs in.
Thanks for the detailed technical response. Lots to decipher there.

Regarding the value of my house, I’ll take that as a joke.