GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Transmission gasket leak after new seal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
x164
Transmission gasket leak after new seal

I am in the middle of a transmission flush on my X164. I dropped pan, emptied torque convertor. replaced filter, but new transmission gasket seal and when i started pumping first quart of transmission fluid it was leaking in middle bolt passenger side of the pan. I tightened it. get pumping and leaked again and again. I believe I did everything right and all looked good. All bolts were tight.

I assume I need to drop pan again and take a peak at the gasket. (Maybe I bent pan- I dont think I did). Maybe I overtightened it - and crimped gasket. Totally frustrated (but I only used 1 quart so not that bad).

What do you all think
Old 03-24-2023, 06:31 PM

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
GL320 CDI
Correct. Since you already tried tightening the offending bolt, the only remedy at this point is dropping the pan and verifying the gasket. I suppose you could start by loosening all the bolts and re-attempting the torque pattern before removing the pan.
Old 03-27-2023, 07:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
x164
ok. this was the problem. one of the bolt pan holders that hold up the pan did not catch the pan. there are 6 pan holders that are affixed to all 6 transmission pan bolts. One did not catch the pan and it leaked. I warped gasket so I purchased another one for $22 at Mercedes. Transmission fluid flush and torque converter not hard. If you can do an oil change just a tad harder.
The following users liked this post:
texas008 (12-29-2023)