GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Dash Cam Conundrum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2023, 10:34 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Mercedes gl450
Dash Cam Conundrum

I am planning to install a 3-Channel dash cam in my GL (or maybe the 4 Channel Vantrue N5 - which isn't released yet - if reviews are positive. At the moment, the Viofo 139A Pro is my top contender. The Vortex Radar guy's comparo including the BlackView DR900X LTE has basically eliminated that cam from consideration). Since I have 2 vehicles and 1 garage space, it is often parked on the street. I am more concerned about a possible break-in/theft than being hit. Obviously, motion detecting park mode is a priority. So, here's the conundrum. On the one hand, the cam can be a deterrent to those who see it and record the thief if not (most break-in incidents around here are to steal items, radios, etc., rather than steal the car). On the other paw, the cam might be the target for a thief. I have only found 2 decent cloud-capable dash cams and have ruled them out for other reasons. And those might help identify the thief, but not stop them any better than the other dash cams. So, if you have/had a dash cam, what is your perspective?
Old 05-05-2023, 12:48 PM

Received 96 Likes on 89 Posts
2006 R500
Large cameras on the outside of your house and motion sensing floodlights would be far better deterrents than cams inside the car, which the thief might not even be able to see in the darkness. Getting a dash cam for deterring theft and catching thieves is almost pointless. Many thieves will wear masks so identifying them from video footage is a long shot.

If you're concerned about the camera being too visible get the Blackvue DR770X. Otherwise, use a dash cam for what it's made for and that is determining liability in an accident. You're probably better off trying one of those car alarms that can detect window breakage.
Old 05-05-2023, 01:30 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Mercedes gl450
Originally Posted by Tsumi
Large cameras on the outside of your house and motion sensing floodlights would be far better deterrents than cams inside the car, which the thief might not even be able to see in the darkness. Getting a dash cam for deterring theft and catching thieves is almost pointless. Many thieves will wear masks so identifying them from video footage is a long shot.

If you're concerned about the camera being too visible get the Blackvue DR770X. Otherwise, use a dash cam for what it's made for and that is determining liability in an accident. You're probably better off trying one of those car alarms that can detect window breakage.
Thanks for your input. As I've said, I ruled out the Blackview, primarily for its inferior video quality compared to some others, which hardly supports "what it's made for." (Not to mention its buffered motion sensing and cloud capabilities suggest it has a different idea of what it's made for.) I live in a condo, and the car is parked away from my unit. Plus, I take frequent away from home trips. But, I'm not concerned about the camera being too visible. I was asking for others' experience/input with regard to whether or not its better to be visible or not. That is, is visibility of the cam more or less of a deterrent for break-ins. Your point about the thief being disguised is helpful (although a large number of NextDoor posts in my area shows that isn't often the case).
Old 05-05-2023, 02:02 PM

Received 96 Likes on 89 Posts
2006 R500
You're better off asking the question on dash cam forums like DashCamTalk. I'm sure the experience of which is better is more or less area dependent.

Also, you don't need great video quality to determine liability, especially if you're sitting around getting the other party's info anyways. Good video quality is only needed for hit and run type of accidents where the other car is constantly moving at high speed relative to yours.