GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Switched Fuse in Under Hood Fuse Block

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2023, 05:46 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Mercedes gl450
Switched Fuse in Under Hood Fuse Block

Hi. Can someone tell me which fuse(s) in the under-the-hood fuse block are ignition switched?
Actually, I prefer to use the either the fuse block in the passenger side of the dash or under the passenger seat, but I don't believe any of those are switched? If there is a switched fuse in either, which one(s)?

I do know how to check, but I was wondering if someone knew off-hand as the suv isn't readily available. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2023, 07:18 PM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
Fuses 23 and 25 in the trunk are for Radio systems (COMAND, etc.). Check those.

GL Fuse Chart 2007-2012 Diagram, Chart, Location X164
Old 06-01-2023, 07:21 PM

Mercedes gl450
Originally Posted by Elbeau
Hi. Can someone tell me which fuse(s) in the under-the-hood fuse block are ignition switched?
Actually, I prefer to use the either the fuse block in the passenger side of the dash or under the passenger seat, but I don't believe any of those are switched? If there is a switched fuse in either, which one(s)?

I do know how to check, but I was wondering if someone knew off-hand as the suv isn't readily available. Thanks!
Thanks. But I'm trying to avoid having to run a wire from the front to the back.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Gl450
If you're looking to power something small, the power outlet under the glove box is switched and not hard to get at the wires. That's where I tapped in for my dash cam to hide the wiring. I just used an inline 5 amp fuse becasue the camera wires are smaller and that port I believe was a 10 amp fuse.
Old 06-02-2023, 03:30 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
Originally Posted by Elbeau
Thanks. But I'm trying to avoid having to run a wire from the front to the back.
Another option: you could pull out the COMAND unit and either splice into the power leads on the wiring harness, or tap the 15A fuse in the back of the unit.
Old 06-02-2023, 01:21 PM

Mercedes gl450
Originally Posted by Grape Ape
If you're looking to power something small, the power outlet under the glove box is switched and not hard to get at the wires. That's where I tapped in for my dash cam to hide the wiring. I just used an inline 5 amp fuse becasue the camera wires are smaller and that port I believe was a 10 amp fuse.
After repeatedly being told by others, including mechanics, that the power port you refer to is NOT switched, I now discover you are right. The reason I believed it was not switched is that it does, in deed, stay powered when the ignition is turned off, even when the key is removed. (That and my phone holder has an internal battery that keeps it powered for a short while, which also keeps its power light on for that period). However, as soon as a door is opened, the power port turns off*. Thank you for encouraging me to take another look.

Now, instead of hard wiring, I can plug the battery pack into that socket and my BlackVue into the battery pack.

If anyone sees any problem with this, please let me know. Taking up space in the power port is not an issue as I have a dual port adapter and the only other things that get plugged in there are cell phones.

*If i knewed that before, I wouldn't have hard wired my radar detector, either.

Thanks!

Last edited by Elbeau; 06-03-2023 at 09:05 AM.