P0106 and P2279 codes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2023, 08:18 PM
EWT

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts
11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 14 Audi S4
P0106 and P2279 codes

Pulled P0106 (bad MAP sensor) and P2279 (unmetered air) error codes on my M273 GL. I wasn't sure where the MAP sensor was and couldn't figure out the magic search term or section in the WIS to show me so some googling (the only post on here for P0106 wasn't answered) turned up pictures of it on the M272 which has it in the same location. Popping the front engine cover exposes it. The MAP sensor is circled on the right. It is held down by a plastic clip on each side:

After popping the sensor loose (it is easier to disconnect the electrical connector if you wait until the sensor is loose), I noticed that the vacuum hose leading to it from the intake manifold was falling apart from 15 years of sitting atop a hot engine.. It came loose easily from the sensor, but broke off at the manifold connector (circled on the left). I initially tried to remove the connector from the manifold, but while it rotated, it wouldn't come out of the manifold with persuasion from pliers or a screwdriver and started to make "I'm going to break" sounds. More internet research revealed that it was a good thing I quit because the part is not available separately from the manifold. Since there was still a short section of hose inside the plastic housing, I couldn't see it, but there is a metal nipple inside the hose attaches to. I cut one side of the hose remainder with a box cutter through the slot and used some picks at the slot on the other side to get the hose remnant out. A trip to the box of vacuum hose segments found one of approximately the right i.d. The codes cleared and haven't come back so it appears to be a $.20 repair. .

Last edited by EWT; 06-05-2023 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-03-2023, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 593 Likes on 499 Posts
2007 GL450
Good job!

The MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor is available separately. You just have to search for that part and fitment for your vehicle.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/l...des-benz-gl550
Old 06-03-2023, 09:31 PM
EWT

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts
11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 14 Audi S4
Originally Posted by eric_in_sd
Good job!

The MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor is available separately. You just have to search for that part and fitment for your vehicle.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/l...des-benz-gl550
Thanks. The part that isn't available is the connector at the manifold. I'm not sure why MB felt the need to put a plastic shell around the nipple, but it wasn't obvious how the hose connected since access is limited and the little bit of remaining hose covered up the nipple. Cheap fixes are the best fixes.
Old 06-03-2023, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by EWT
Thanks. The part that isn't available is the connector at the manifold. I'm not sure why MB felt the need to put a plastic shell around the nipple, but it wasn't obvious how the hose connected since access is limited and the little bit of remaining hose covered up the nipple. Cheap fixes are the best fixes.
Oh I see now. My bad for not reading more closely.

Nipple connectors like that are easy to fabricate, by the way. I repaired a vacuum valve, also mounted on the manifold, by jamming a segment of syringe needle of the appropriate diameter and length inside, and hot knife welding the broken nipple back in place with the syringe needle fortifying it. Those nipples are often nylon, which is unfortunately not long lived in the engine environment, but fortunately nylon is easy to weld and one can use wire ties as filler stick.
Old 06-03-2023, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Also, silicone spray is great for unhooking rubber hoses.