GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Check filters!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2023, 11:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
gl350 , Dodge Grand Caravan, Hundai Tucson
Check filters!

As a Gl350, I know about complexity of engine filter replacement, that's why I asked MB delaer ship to check it @ service appt and always they told me it's in good shape!
but don't trust the dealership mechanics!
I open the housing and I found it:

The following 2 users liked this post by mabab:
ChrisHimself (06-27-2023), StradaRedlands (10-15-2023)
Old 06-25-2023, 08:19 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
GL320 2007
Insane!

Why is it so black. It looks like it's sucked a whole bunch of oil through it.

The engine filter change is actually pretty easy. Take off cross bar, remove to firewall panels, remove Y piece intake duct, take filter boxes out. Yes time consuming, but pretty easy. The key is removing the firewall panels. So many youtube videos show people trying to houdini these out with the two panels still in.

Don't forget to reset the air filter adaptation after changing these. The engine won't know what to do with soo much air.
Old 06-25-2023, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 612 Likes on 519 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by alive19
Insane!

The engine filter change is actually pretty easy. Take off cross bar, remove to firewall panels, remove Y piece intake duct, take filter boxes out. Yes time consuming, but pretty easy. The key is removing the firewall panels. So many youtube videos show people trying to houdini these out with the two panels still in.

Don't forget to reset the air filter adaptation after changing these. The engine won't know what to do with soo much air.
it figures it out on its own, just like it learns if it’s running high or low octane fuel.
Old 06-26-2023, 10:59 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Mercedes gl450
Originally Posted by alive19
Insane!

It may not be difficult, but when virtually every other vehicle on the road involves nothing more than releasing a few spring clips and dropping in a new filter, I wouldn't call it easy. I would call it another case of MB intentionally making routine maintenance more difficult than it needs to be to encourage use of dealership service. After all, if you can afford a Mercedes, you can afford to be ripped off, right?
Obviously, even the dealership finds it too much of a hassle unless it can be worked into a larger repair/service.
The following users liked this post:
BlackML550 (07-07-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by Max Blast
it figures it out on its own, just like it learns if it’s running high or low octane fuel.
No, this is the diesel and it doesn’t.
Old 07-06-2023, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 689 Likes on 501 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
Are you saying there's no way the engine senses the Mass of Air Flowing into the engine?

(do you see what I did there?)