GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Swapped a assisted steering Rack n pinion with one that has no sensor is this bad?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2024, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL450
Swapped a assisted steering Rack n pinion with one that has no sensor is this bad?

Hey guys. So what’s done is done. My 07 450 has sensor on rack. Mechanic ordered same as I heard him on phone. But it turns out they sent one without assisted steering and no one caught it until I went to get the car and asked did they plug it in. Then found this out. So what negative consequences should I expect how bad is this situation?So far it’s driving normal. I really appreciate if someone can give me a realistic answer. At this point complaining or doing things by the book like removing and replacing again is not really a option. It was a big job. Now if it’s going to cause dangerous issues then he’s willing to do it again. It’s a friend of mine. We agreed I’ll drive it and see if anything goes wrong.
Thanks for any help
Old 06-04-2024, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 593 Likes on 499 Posts
2007 GL450
Isn't that "sensor" for the speed sensitive power steering?

The effect would be either there is too much assist at highway speeds or too little at parking speeds. The wheel should be pretty light when parking and rather heavy on the highway.
The following users liked this post:
The Basics (06-07-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 09:36 PM

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by eric_in_sd
Isn't that "sensor" for the speed sensitive power steering?

The effect would be either there is too much assist at highway speeds or too little at parking speeds. The wheel should be pretty light when parking and rather heavy on the highway.

Yes that sensor. I’ve not been on Highway yet to test but what I’m feeling after you mentioned it is actually tighter steering overall. I only drove it home so I didn’t really notice anything but checking it right now it’s definitely much harder steering. If that’s all that will happen I’m fine with that as I really only drive local and tow my boat with it so harder steering for towing is not a bad thing.
Old 06-04-2024, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 612 Likes on 519 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Yes, some 164s did not have the variable speed steering that lightens it up at low speed.

You now have one of those.

You should be fine unless the steering is overly sensitive at high speed, which it doesn’t sound like it is. I would be prepared for possible ESP or BAS code and/or stored and current faults related to “implausible value” from the variable speed sensor.
Old 06-04-2024, 10:01 PM

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by Max Blast
Yes, some 164s did not have the variable speed steering that lightens it up at low speed.

You now have one of those.

You should be fine unless the steering is overly sensitive at high speed, which it doesn’t sound like it is. I would be prepared for possible ESP or BAS code and/or stored and current faults related to “implausible value” from the variable speed sensor.
Thanks for your input. Your right about what you said. I have been driving it now and that’s the negative effects so far. Much Harder steering..Actually Very noticeable now that I’ve put few miles on it.But better then nothing as I’ve been driving it for a month with 0 steering because rack wasn’t holding fluid it was pouring out immediately and I just stopped adding fluid and drove as is.
Old 07-04-2024, 03:48 AM

2007 GL450
Update

Last edited by USNAVY; 07-04-2024 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Update