2011 GL450 - Hissing noise without stop while car is parked

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2024, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
2011 GL450 - Hissing noise without stop while car is parked

Hi Folks,

I have a 2011 GL450. I recently replaced the airmatic air compressor and valve myself, what happened is that the air hose tore open at the elbow near the compressor so dirt got in and damaged the valve/compressor. I replaced both with Arnolt units.

However, before and after I did the repair, whenever the car is locked and parked there is a hissing noise without stop coming from the front passenger wheel well. It cannot be the compressor or the valve as both are new and the noise is not coming from there. I sprayed down the air lines I could find with soapy water but found nothing. The front passenger shock looks good, no tears and soapy water does not show anything.

What is super strange is that when I remove the Airmatic relay/fuse the noise stops. Is there any other mechanical part of the Airmatic system that has a vale that is electronically controlled except for the pump/valve?? I am so stumped by this. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!!! And have a good weekend.

Last edited by John82; 06-15-2024 at 12:23 AM.
Old 06-15-2024, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 612 Likes on 519 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
There is only one valve, and that is the valve block. Excess pressure is vented overboard thought the compressor’s intake pipe in the front passenger wheeel well. That sounds more like a whoosh.

if it’s persistent and leads to the car lowering it’s a leak in either the air spring or one of the valve block connections.