GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

2013 order strategy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
2013 order strategy

Finaly decided to turn over my 2009 GL450 for a 2013. The 2009 has had a LOT of problems out of warranty, but there just isn't a better vehicle out there, so I'll only be driving the next one only under warranty.

After looking at the 2013 this weekend I am ready to place an order tomorrow, but I've got a question on strategy...

I was told by more than one dealer that "some dealers" might jack the price up or play games once the custom order vehicle arrives. There isn't a hard negotiated commitment on either side, so I could see this happening with a hot car. Also, some dealers believe they can get a build slot faster than others (blah, blah, blah).

So, here is my question: Should I order the exact same car from two different dealers? Would this provide leverage and/or a hedge? I am fortune to have about 15 dealers to chose from.

Also, any word from anyone on the accessory delays? Specifically, leather, easy entry, pano roof, etc?

We saw a car with Easy Entry (auto folding second row) this weekend, but one side didn't work. It was a great idea, but a huge fail everytime we tried the passenger side. Bonus points for the driver side backrow auto-folding, that was cool.

Thanks for advice. I'll share what I find out during the order.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by SoCalBenz
Finaly decided to turn over my 2009 GL450 for a 2013. The 2009 has had a LOT of problems out of warranty, but there just isn't a better vehicle out there, so I'll only be driving the next one only under warranty.

After looking at the 2013 this weekend I am ready to place an order tomorrow, but I've got a question on strategy...

I was told by more than one dealer that "some dealers" might jack the price up or play games once the custom order vehicle arrives. There isn't a hard negotiated commitment on either side, so I could see this happening with a hot car. Also, some dealers believe they can get a build slot faster than others (blah, blah, blah).

So, here is my question: Should I order the exact same car from two different dealers? Would this provide leverage and/or a hedge? I am fortune to have about 15 dealers to chose from.

Also, any word from anyone on the accessory delays? Specifically, leather, easy entry, pano roof, etc?

We saw a car with Easy Entry (auto folding second row) this weekend, but one side didn't work. It was a great idea, but a huge fail everytime we tried the passenger side. Bonus points for the driver side backrow auto-folding, that was cool.

Thanks for advice. I'll share what I find out during the order.
My 2013 on order is the 3rd one that I have ordered from the same dealer......each time they have played straight up with me ....the price agreed upon for the new one is "definite". ... The price for the trade is also " reasonably solid" ....given that delivery is 3 to 4 months away. So far they have always stuck with the figures we agreed upon and I have only two dealers to work with......so..... I would think that with the large number you have, you ought to be able to say "I am ready to order and will do so with the first dealer who locks the price of the new one and gives me reasonable assurance on the trade value.....if my dealer were to try to jack up the price of the new one upon delivery he knows I will walk and "talk!"

There is a guy on here with "inside" info on the option delays ( it is an ongoing and month by month issue ) and he will probably comment on it. My order has been pushed into Feb. production because of various option packages I have requested......leather has been a constant issue, 2nd row power is now available but wasn't during the Sept Oct order process, panno roof is not something I have heard anything on.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
I agree with blittle, I don't think you'd have to worry. Get the purchase price for your new vehicle in writing and you should be safe. The trade-in is something I was a little more worried about. In the end I gave mine up when I ordered since I had other vehicles to drive. Others have had success getting what they were told. I wasn't so worried about them changing their mind as I was about getting in an accident, having a major failure and have to put in $x,xxx to get it back to normal, etc.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 S580 Prior: 2012 E350 Bluetec, 2013 GL350 Bluetec, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2006 E320 CDI, 1987 260E
I have had E-mail conversations and then when I went into confirm the order I asked him to E-mail the details which he did. Not sure if it will help but hopefully no games when mine comes in.

That doesn't sound great about the power easy entry. I assume you can still manually fold the seat if the power isn't working?