GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Ordering GL450 - questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL450
Ordering GL450 - questions

I'm new to this forum and currently ordering a 2013 gl450. I have some questions that hopefully will garner opinions and answers.

1. I've read a lot about poor visibilty with the standard halogens. Is it really worth the extra money for the lighting package with xenons?

2. I get a fleet discount through the AMA of $3000. Can I expect this discount on top of whatever price I agree on with the dealer, or will the dealer try to give me their deal or the discount but not both? I haven't told them about the discount yet, as we won't talk price until my options are picked.

3. I don't want to start another thread about mb tex vs. leather, and I think I'm ok with the tex, but I still have a hard time believing that I'll be happy paying top dollar for the car and getting vinyl seats. I did notice a difference in the showroom (leather felt softer), but most owners seem to swear by the mb tex. Just venting there.

Thanks in advance for all responses.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by rmemory
I'm new to this forum and currently ordering a 2013 gl450. I have some questions that hopefully will garner opinions and answers.

1. I've read a lot about poor visibilty with the standard halogens. Is it really worth the extra money for the lighting package with xenons?

2. I get a fleet discount through the AMA of $3000. Can I expect this discount on top of whatever price I agree on with the dealer, or will the dealer try to give me their deal or the discount but not both? I haven't told them about the discount yet, as we won't talk price until my options are picked.

3. I don't want to start another thread about mb tex vs. leather, and I think I'm ok with the tex, but I still have a hard time believing that I'll be happy paying top dollar for the car and getting vinyl seats. I did notice a difference in the showroom (leather felt softer), but most owners seem to swear by the mb tex. Just venting there.

Thanks in advance for all responses.
Im sure there will be various opinions, but I will give you mine based on having owned a 2007 450, now owning a 2011 450 and a 2013 450 on order.

1. The xenons are incredible! I have had the lighting package on each of the 450's I have owned and have ordered it on the 2013..... the "range" and clarity of the light beam ( particularly when you kick on the high beams) is beyond anything I have ever had before.

2. I get a USAA discount and that is in addition to the deal. I'd work the best deal first and then see what they do with the discount.

3. MB Tex is great....more durable than the leather....BUTTT....it doesn't smell right (not bad, just not like leather ) sorta feels a tiny bit rubbery too , and, something doesn't sit right with me about having a car in the league of the GL and NOT having leather so all mine have had leather. That being said.... if I had young children and/or dogs, etc. ...the MB Tex might be the way to go. Just my opinion.....

Last edited by blittle; 12-05-2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-05-2012, 05:07 PM

2013 GL450
Originally Posted by blittle
Im sure there will be various opinions, but I will give you mine based on having owned a 2007 450, now owning a 2011 450 and a 2013 450 on order.

1. The xenons are incredible! I have had the lighting package on each of the 450's I have owned and have ordered it on the 2013..... the "range" and clarity of the light beam ( particularly when you kick on the high beams) is beyond anything I have ever had before.

2. I get a USAA discount and that is in addition to the deal. I'd work the best deal first and then see what they do with the discount.

3. MB Tex is great....more durable than the leather....BUTTT....it doesn't smell right (not bad, just not like leather ) sorta feels a tiny bit rubbery too , and, something doesn't sit right with me about having a car in the league of the GL and NOT having leather so all mine have had leather. That being said.... if I had young children and/or dogs, etc. ...the MB Tex might be the way to go. Just my opinion.....
Thanks for the response. I have both young kids and dogs and so I think I'll go with tex, even though my heart says leather.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
1) check out my review of the lighting package for more information, but frankly I wouldn't get a MB without it unless I did all city driving

2) You should get that in addition. I only got stuffed once by the dealer when they were using some other factory discount that didn't allow for the fleet discount. I didn't buy as a result.

3) I too have only had leather, but most are happy with MBTex
Old 12-05-2012, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
1. Get it, even for all city driving it's very helpful.

3. Honestly not impressed with MB's leather available for this GL at all. The quality difference/ feel is not noticeable to me. The grade is a very rough leather and is not a very high grade leather such as the supple nappa leather found on higher end MBs. I find MB Tex and leather for the GL to be the same in terms of feel which is more of a testament to the low quality leather rather than MB Tex being "amazing" or how some swear by it. Just my opinion though, as that's the impression I got when seeing/ feeling them side by side at the dealer.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:17 PM

2005 SL55 Pewter-Charcoal, 2016 GLE300d Palladium-Espresso, (2013 GL350BT White-Almond:returned)
Leather vs MB-Tex

Also to consider is the richer, slightly reddish burl wood that comes with leather compared with darker, slightly duller and browner eucalyptus that comes with MB-Tex. Take a look at both at the dealer to see if this might sway your preference.

Also to consider is how long you plan to keep the vehicle. MB-Tex will look like new for a longggg time. Leather will show signs of wear after just a few years. As noted above, kids and especially dogs would favor MB-Tex.

Finally, there is the issue of ventilated seats which can be had only with leather.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
"Finally, there is the issue of ventilated seats which can be had only with leather."

Forgot that one..... and that is something i absolutely wanted this time around!