GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Removing 2nd Row Headrest

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 04:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 GLS450, Previously 2017 GLS450, 2014 GL450, 2012 GL450
Originally Posted by john5099
Here is the new headrest compared to the old. The new one sticks out a tad bit, but as you can see at its highest setting, it sits much higher on the chair then the old headrest.

The old headrest at its highest setting was pushing up on top of my 8 year old's head. This new head rest is at least 3-4 inches higher and does not come close to pushing up on her head. On its lowest setting it sticks out a lot less and feels much more comfortable. I also like the fact that it moves up and down in 4 increments.
What was the part number for this? And what did it cost?
Old 02-03-2015, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tundra
Originally Posted by jenz
Find a different dealer
I wish it were that easy. Not a lot of choices where I am.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:37 PM

tundra
TSB

Is there really a TSB out there? For the ones that had their dealer help them out can you ask them for the number or something we can give to our dealers? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:53 PM

tundra
Pulling headrest back

My wife wants to know if you can put some sort of strap on the headrest to keep them back? I told her that you shouldn't have to on a $75K vehicle.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:39 AM

2015 GL450, 2014 BMW 640 xDrive Convertible
This is in response to Ah_gl450 and pdt84.

1. I didn't get the part number or the TSB number. They charged me Zero, Zip, Nada for the service.

2. Before I swapped the headrest out, I tried couple of times to remove the pin from the headrest so that it can fold flat, but could not do it. I did try to see how far it would go back and was able to force it close to being flush, but I didn't want to put a strap on the headrest and make it look all fugly.

It could be that your dealer has not had too many complaints on this matter so far to even search for a TSB. Try them one more time and tell them that there is a TSB out there for this issue. If they still don't do anything about it, give them the finger and buy a BMW or a Cadillac.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:09 AM

tundra
John5099,

Thanks for the response. We finally decided last night to get the GL with the EZ entry. The dealer still won't do anything about it, but they referred us to a custom shop that works on their cars that will charge me $200 to remove the pins. From what I have read about how difficult it can be I think it is money well spent.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
My dealer removed them at no charge as they new this GL was not coming home if theyear didn't. I find it appalling that your dealer refuses to help And sends you somewhere else and get charged for it. I would leave that GL there until they accommodate you and your family.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:47 AM

tundra
1st AMG,

I felt the same way, but after not making progress and my wife wanting the car we took it. I haven't taken the pins out yet as we are trying it out as is. I will say that for adults the headrest are very comfortable. For my my kids use it in the down position and say it is comfortable for them. I even put some other kids in the up position and they said it was ok so the plan is to leave it alone for now and take it day by day.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 GLS450, Previously 2017 GLS450, 2014 GL450, 2012 GL450
Originally Posted by pdt84
John5099,

Thanks for the response. We finally decided last night to get the GL with the EZ entry. The dealer still won't do anything about it, but they referred us to a custom shop that works on their cars that will charge me $200 to remove the pins. From what I have read about how difficult it can be I think it is money well spent.
Call MB headquarters.

I took my car in last week, initially the dealer refused to do any work saying it was illegal in NJ to modify the headrest. I pushed back and he said he'll find out from his manager. Couple of minutes comes back and says 'we can change it but you'll have to sign a waiver and pay for parts and labor.'

I asked how much it was, and he comes back few minutes later saying the dealer has done it for two people, one had to pay while the other was completely free. It was $954 for parts and labor, but told me to call MB to have it done, and they may authorize it as complimentary.

Called MB, and they knew exactly what the situation was and said they'll contact the dealer to explain how to handle the situation and that it's complimentary. So as of right now, the parts are on their way from Germany, so hopefully comes sometime this week.
The following users liked this post:
steh-fan (07-11-2022)
Old 02-10-2015, 10:03 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
Originally Posted by pdt84
1st AMG,

I felt the same way, but after not making progress and my wife wanting the car we took it. I haven't taken the pins out yet as we are trying it out as is. I will say that for adults the headrest are very comfortable. For my my kids use it in the down position and say it is comfortable for them. I even put some other kids in the up position and they said it was ok so the plan is to leave it alone for now and take it day by day.
If you loved the vehicle, then so be it, but I would never have given that dealer my business. If this is how you're treated before you actually bought the vehicle, imagine how you'll be treated now.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:02 PM

2015 Lexus LX570
Angry Easy Entry Second Row Headrests

I purchased a 2014 GL350 Bluetec with easy entry. The headrests were terrible and Mercedes refused to admit a problem or remove the clip so the headrests could be replaced with the ML350 headrests that work manually and do not cause your passenger to sit at an angle that is totally uncomfortable. Bottom line, I traded the car after 10 months and went back the a Lexus LX570.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:09 PM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
I started a new thread showing how to take the pins out... it is a 20 minute process per side and no big deal.

it simply turns the easy entry into a semi easy entry.

please people..don't remove your headrests and you don't have to sell your GL and have to buy a Lexus....

btw.. I have a set of manual headrests in black that are brand new and will be available for sale soon!

Last edited by cyclrder; 02-15-2015 at 09:11 PM. Reason: forgot
steh-fan (07-11-2022)
Old 04-23-2015, 02:15 PM

Mercedes benz GL450
Problem with the Headrest and 2nd row bench easy fold GL350

Originally Posted by vmmckee
I purchased a 2014 GL350 Bluetec with easy entry. The headrests were terrible and Mercedes refused to admit a problem or remove the clip so the headrests could be replaced with the ML350 headrests that work manually and do not cause your passenger to sit at an angle that is totally uncomfortable. Bottom line, I traded the car after 10 months and went back the a Lexus LX570.
Hi vmmvkee: I too have a headrest problem on my 2014-GL350. I posted below to another thread at MB World. I wish i could get out by selling the car, but the depreciation is heavy in 12 months of owning car at 12K miles. So I will have to wait out for a while.

I have had MANY problems with 2014 GL350 2nd row bench easy option, where the top portion folds but the actual bench will not fold, though front row will move forward to make room for the 2nd row bench. I took it to MB dealer twice and was told to have problems taken care of. But it didn’t so this time I took it back to dealer and complained hard. Dealer replaced the motor and problem still exists. Dealer called MB engineers and they decided to install a new frame while keeping the covers same. Will let you know how it works when I receive my GL350 back after using it for few days.

My BIGGEST problem with 2nd row easy option is the Headrest. They are SUPER TERRIBLY designed headrests, where it only goes up and down, no other setting or adjustments. This creates a BIG problem for my average height adult daughter, where her head is not resting on the headrest instead elongated in mid-air. It is not a rocket science, but now I have to deal with this poorly designed headrest. Does anyone with GL 2nd row easy option has this problem with headrest? I would appreciate your experience and please share if there is any remedy to fix this issue, as dealer has not offered any help on it. I called MB and they referred back to Dealer.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by gdsmart
Hi vmmvkee: I too have a headrest problem on my 2014-GL350. I posted below to another thread at MB World. I wish i could get out by selling the car, but the depreciation is heavy in 12 months of owning car at 12K miles. So I will have to wait out for a while.

I have had MANY problems with 2014 GL350 2nd row bench easy option, where the top portion folds but the actual bench will not fold, though front row will move forward to make room for the 2nd row bench. I took it to MB dealer twice and was told to have problems taken care of. But it didn’t so this time I took it back to dealer and complained hard. Dealer replaced the motor and problem still exists. Dealer called MB engineers and they decided to install a new frame while keeping the covers same. Will let you know how it works when I receive my GL350 back after using it for few days.

My BIGGEST problem with 2nd row easy option is the Headrest. They are SUPER TERRIBLY designed headrests, where it only goes up and down, no other setting or adjustments. This creates a BIG problem for my average height adult daughter, where her head is not resting on the headrest instead elongated in mid-air. It is not a rocket science, but now I have to deal with this poorly designed headrest. Does anyone with GL 2nd row easy option has this problem with headrest? I would appreciate your experience and please share if there is any remedy to fix this issue, as dealer has not offered any help on it. I called MB and they referred back to Dealer.
1. the reason the seat isn't flipping forward is that it is rubbing too close to the other seat. (my 2015 GL63 had the same issue).. your dealer should have adjusted the seat away from the other seat.. it isn't a motor problem (obviously)

2. Headrests... the reason the headrests are so substantial is for safety reasons (think of the headrests that Volvo use to have in 240s being tall and substantial)... these headrests will keep crap from the back of the car flying forward (or heads of people in the third row from flying forward) when you have a collision... I know the design sucks and is certainly "under cooked" but I suspect the costs of adding a system to make the easy entry headrests flop back flat would have been quite expensive...as I said.. "under cooked"

anyway.. if you have the easy entry option (which is a must if you have kids) you have two options. 1. you can fold back the top cover of the headrest and remove a pin that allows the headrest to flop back. this will allow the head rest to be semi manual. 70% of the time the mechanism will still pull it down onto the seat when flipping forward. That is the option I did and it works fine most of the time (or at least so far since I have done it)

2. my dealer ordered me a whole new set of manual headrests .. they can swap them.. the catch is that you will have to push them down just like normal in a non easy entry equipped car.. but the system will push the seat forward and over. So you then would have a hybrid folding seat.. certainly better than the manual version but not quite as easy as the normal easy entry.... (MB even has a waiver to sign that you take responsibility if the seat system damages itself if you put the seat down without the headrest dropped.)

both of these options will fix the uncomfortable back seat problem (including car seat issues)

pleeease people... don't go back to the Lexus... we can all hold hands and fix this problem!

btw..
I have a detailed post of how to remove the pin... and I also have a set of brand new manual black nappa leather head rests.. first $350 takes them.

Chedman13 (04-28-2016)
Old 04-23-2015, 04:27 PM

Mercedes benz GL450
Hi cyclrder - Thanks for your detailed response on how to remove 2nd row headrest. I just called MB manufacturer and complained about this. Mfgr. and dealer, both are looking into this problem to see if they can fix the issue since they are replacing the frame of the 2nd row bench seat. MB has fixed this headrest problem to some extent where passenger can at least push the headrest into make it bit comfortable. However, it only stays in until pass is resting the head and will come out if nothing is pressed against. I think it is a little improvement. I will update it here with the status.
Thanks.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by gdsmart
Hi cyclrder - Thanks for your detailed response on how to remove 2nd row headrest. I just called MB manufacturer and complained about this. Mfgr. and dealer, both are looking into this problem to see if they can fix the issue since they are replacing the frame of the 2nd row bench seat. MB has fixed this headrest problem to some extent where passenger can at least push the headrest into make it bit comfortable. However, it only stays in until pass is resting the head and will come out if nothing is pressed against. I think it is a little improvement. I will update it here with the status.
Thanks.
Wow... If they were spring loaded "out" instead of "in"... That would solve all the problems!

People need to understand the the large headrests serve a major safety feature.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
i wonder if a headrest from a E class can be swapped in to the GL slots , to get rid of those nasty ones
Old 10-10-2015, 05:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E350 ; GL450
2nd row headrest - PIN removal

First, thanks to post # 152 and # 208; another thread was also started in this forum by Cyclrder, thanks to his/her photos.

Here's my take and photos to help anyone who wants to remove the headrest pin and to allow the headrest to swivel fully. Please read those posts first if you ever want to try this, understand what you are trying to do. Then, read my post for addition instructions.

First, unlike others, I took a shortcut - without unwrappring any headrest leather cover/foam. And, I only pulled down ONE tab - each headrest cover has two tabs hook on to the retainers.

1. I found it easier to undertake this task by climbing back to the 3rd row seats. As mentioned in post#208, pull the right end of the front tab about 3/4 inch to the RIGHT (sitting in 3rd row, facing front of the car), simultaneously, pushing the left end of the tab. The leather cover has certain lubricant, so, you want to get a good grip of the tab when you pull and push without tearing the seam.

2. When the tab is "curved" or "off" sufficiently, it can be pulled DOWN from its retainer track. The hardest part of this job is done.

3. There is another back tab holding in the rear part of the headrest cover, I found this tab harder to pull off, so, I did not remove it as others did (see photo).

4. The pin can be seen just with one tab pulled down. Use a hammer and a screw driver to knock the pin forward and completely off from the pin hole. Since I did not unwrap the headrest cover, my pin is remained inside the headrest. But, with the thick foam, I feel it will not bother anyone or make the headrest uncomfortable.

5. Insert the left end of the tab back in around the middle part of the retainer and simply push the whole tab back in. The tab will snap back in relatively easy.

About 20 - 30 min for both headrests on my first and only attempt.
Attached Thumbnails Removing 2nd Row Headrest-img_0800a.jpg   Removing 2nd Row Headrest-img_0801a.jpg   Removing 2nd Row Headrest-img_0808a.jpg   Removing 2nd Row Headrest-img_0811a.jpg   Removing 2nd Row Headrest-img_0812a.jpg  

Removing 2nd Row Headrest-img_0815.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by G Wagen:
Chedman13 (04-28-2016), mustbebenz (03-19-2016)
Old 10-11-2015, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL550
Good work! I initially tried what you described with a nail punch and hammer somewhat gently, and the pin was stuck in and couldn't free it. So removed the full cover and pulled it out from the other side per the posts you referenced.

I was worried about hammering and bending / damaging the headrest poles and EZ entry system if I used too much force.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:46 PM

BMW, Audi, MB, Nissan
I was afraid this would cause a problem with car seats but my 2016 with easy entry apparently has a different design on the headrest. It does move all the way back to touch the posts.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:31 PM

Received 322 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by gotzillar
I was afraid this would cause a problem with car seats but my 2016 with easy entry apparently has a different design on the headrest. It does move all the way back to touch the posts.
Easy Entry or Power Easy Entry?

If the power version is improved that would be great news.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:33 PM

BMW, Audi, MB, Nissan
Power Easy Entry.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:36 PM

Received 322 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Power Easy Entry.
Excellent news!

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2015, 11:07 AM

GL550
I followed this thread https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...drest-fix.html
Old 10-18-2015, 11:08 AM

GL550
Do you have the GL yet or is this what the salesperson told you?

Please post photos.

Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Removing 2nd Row Headrest