GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Removing 2nd Row Headrest

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW, Audi, MB, Nissan
Originally Posted by Dalema
Do you have the GL yet or is this what the salesperson told you?

Please post photos.

Thanks!
We have a 2016 GL450. Saleperson had no clue when I told him so.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:28 PM

BMW, Audi, MB, Nissan
Here you go,

Old 04-28-2016, 11:05 AM

Received 111 Likes on 93 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG
Thanks for posting this, I have the same car seat and couldn't get it to fit and now seeing this post, it has to with the ez-entry!

I had my kids in the 3rd row, which makes for quite a distance to watch the Rear Entertainment...

I'm going to look at cyclrder's DIY (thanks!) now.

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...drest-fix.html

Originally Posted by chinhster
I have the Britax Pinnacle Clicktight booster which is massive. It's so large that I couldn't fold down the seats (I have it installed on the right side). If I move the booster to the driver side, I can fold down the seats but then I have myself and my child exposed to traffic when I take her in and out of the car. I decided to get a smaller Britax booster (Parkway SGL) without all the padding and harness. After removing the Pinnacle to install the Parkway, I noticed that the side impact padding could be removed from the Pinnacle. I removed the padding on one side of the Pinnacle, reinstalled it, and now my seat folds down (it's still a bit snug though).

Even though I removed the pins so that the headrests would tilt, I didn't have any problem with the headrests pushing the booster too far forward before then. And the booster reclines just fine.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:29 PM

MB GLS550/BMW 550/2017 Acura NSX
I just "fixed" our 2nd row headrests last weekend. Due to the info I found here, it was easy.

Just detach the leather cover at the top, then pull it down in front enough to expose the silver pins, then I used a flat screwdriver to pry them out. Then attached cover. Done.

Thanks to all who put this info together.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 Honda Odyseey Touring Elite
Originally Posted by gotzillar
Here you go,

Does the headrest stay in the more flush position on its own or do you have to hold it there?
Old 05-01-2016, 05:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 Honda Odyseey Touring Elite
Originally Posted by G Wagen
First, thanks to post # 152 and # 208; another thread was also started in this forum by Cyclrder, thanks to his/her photos.

Here's my take and photos to help anyone who wants to remove the headrest pin and to allow the headrest to swivel fully. Please read those posts first if you ever want to try this, understand what you are trying to do. Then, read my post for addition instructions.

First, unlike others, I took a shortcut - without unwrappring any headrest leather cover/foam. And, I only pulled down ONE tab - each headrest cover has two tabs hook on to the retainers.

1. I found it easier to undertake this task by climbing back to the 3rd row seats. As mentioned in post#208, pull the right end of the front tab about 3/4 inch to the RIGHT (sitting in 3rd row, facing front of the car), simultaneously, pushing the left end of the tab. The leather cover has certain lubricant, so, you want to get a good grip of the tab when you pull and push without tearing the seam.

2. When the tab is "curved" or "off" sufficiently, it can be pulled DOWN from its retainer track. The hardest part of this job is done.

3. There is another back tab holding in the rear part of the headrest cover, I found this tab harder to pull off, so, I did not remove it as others did (see photo).

4. The pin can be seen just with one tab pulled down. Use a hammer and a screw driver to knock the pin forward and completely off from the pin hole. Since I did not unwrap the headrest cover, my pin is remained inside the headrest. But, with the thick foam, I feel it will not bother anyone or make the headrest uncomfortable.

5. Insert the left end of the tab back in around the middle part of the retainer and simply push the whole tab back in. The tab will snap back in relatively easy.

About 20 - 30 min for both headrests on my first and only attempt.
So now that you did this...do the headrests just flop around...or do they sort of move in an out with a little effort?
Old 07-03-2021, 04:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
new to Mercedes; looking for 1st one
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Sorry about the delay - and if the 2nd row seat is EZ-Entry then the 2nd row headrest (at least on each end of the row) are NOT user removable - since they are integrated into the EZ-Entry mechanical system inside the seat back.

However, if your 2nd row does NOT have the EZ-Entry feature, then the outboard headrests are removable per the instructions in the manual.

That's what's happening... keep the beat !
Hi, I'm looking at either the GLA or GLB as my 1st Mercedes... I noticed the head rests in 2nd row obstruct my vision when I test drove them.. do u know if these 2 models have the EZ - entry & are not removable? That could help make my decision... Thanks!
Old 11-11-2021, 10:07 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 GLS 63
Does anyone have any good information about the TSB, who they worked with or the dealer they used that can verify it? I tried to work this issue through my dealer and Mercedes and they say they see nothing about it. Thanks all