GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Removing 2nd Row Headrest

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 10:29 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 GLS580 all black. 2014 GLK black (kids car). formerly: 2014 GL550 Palladium Silver (US)
Originally Posted by cordoor
I talked to one of my two local/area dealerships and as of right now it sounds like they will not remove it because of "liability issues." I have not talked directly to the service manager yet. I have also not talked to the other dealership yet.

But also, I have not placed an order, either. I have no problem going out of state for my purchase as I've had to do this before with other vehicles in the past so I will simply not purchase from a dealership that does not put in writing that they will resolve this issue before I take delivery.
Why not order and simply NOT get the POWER Easy Entry feature? That was my solution. Even with the power option, you still have to muscle the seats back up. The base Easy Entry latch is not difficult to do.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 MB GL450, 13 P Panamera 4
Removing the pin works!

This is my first post on this board. This thread has been tremendously helpful and I hope I can add some information. I ordered a '14 GL450 in August when Power Easy Entry was still part of P1. After I read about the headrest issue and realizing that I have a 6 year old who might have a problem with it, I tried to remove the option but the build was already finalized. I then started the long negotiation process with my salesman to address the issue, bringing my daughter in to demonstrate the problem, and mentioning the "clip" and "pin" solutions that I read about here which he forwarded to the service manager. The car came in last week and the service manager started to contact MB USA for instructions, and of course he was told that safety law prohibits him from doing any modifications to the headrest. Even though I like the GL very much having owned one from '07, I was adamant that I would not take delivery until the headrest issue can be addressed. So today my salesman asked me to bring my daughter to the dealership again to show the problem to the service manager, and while he was still talking about MB's corporate legal mumbo jumbo, I was prepared and armed myself with hard copies of all of Ntuck's posts. I asked the service manager whether he could work out with me how to remove the pin from the headrest if I were to do it myself, and he actually said yes with a chuckle! So I witnessed the whole process as he tried to figure it out for the first time himself. Unfortunately I wasn't allowed to take pictures, but the process is actually simple enough to DIY.

Put the headrest in its top-most position. It doesn't need to be removed from the seat. The leather wrapper needs to be completely removed first. The wrapper is secured under the top part of the headrest by two tabs which you can feel with your fingers that they slide horizontally in a slot. It takes some force, but you can slide the tabs out of the slot and from there start to unwrap the whole thing. Once the wrapper comes off, you can then remove the cushion and the frame that is mounted on a pivot that swivels. When you get a clear view of the pivot, there is a pin inside that is secured by adhesive tape around the pivot. Remove the pin and the pivot will now swivel both forward and back. Putting everything back requires precise adjustments and patience as all the components fit very tightly, but the whole process is pretty straightforward. We didn't explore removing the "clip" inside the seat because this is enough to make the headrest usable.

Many thanks to everyone who posted useful information, especially Ntuck. And I'm thankful that my dealer, who shall remain anonymous, really stepped up to the plate when MB failed. I hope what I described above can be of use to someone in a similar situation.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 GL 350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by algtrd
This is my first post on this board. This thread has been tremendously helpful and I hope I can add some information. I ordered a '14 GL450 in August when Power Easy Entry was still part of P1. After I read about the headrest issue and realizing that I have a 6 year old who might have a problem with it, I tried to remove the option but the build was already finalized. I then started the long negotiation process with my salesman to address the issue, bringing my daughter in to demonstrate the problem, and mentioning the "clip" and "pin" solutions that I read about here which he forwarded to the service manager. The car came in last week and the service manager started to contact MB USA for instructions, and of course he was told that safety law prohibits him from doing any modifications to the headrest. Even though I like the GL very much having owned one from '07, I was adamant that I would not take delivery until the headrest issue can be addressed. So today my salesman asked me to bring my daughter to the dealership again to show the problem to the service manager, and while he was still talking about MB's corporate legal mumbo jumbo, I was prepared and armed myself with hard copies of all of Ntuck's posts. I asked the service manager whether he could work out with me how to remove the pin from the headrest if I were to do it myself, and he actually said yes with a chuckle! So I witnessed the whole process as he tried to figure it out for the first time himself. Unfortunately I wasn't allowed to take pictures, but the process is actually simple enough to DIY.

Put the headrest in its top-most position. It doesn't need to be removed from the seat. The leather wrapper needs to be completely removed first. The wrapper is secured under the top part of the headrest by two tabs which you can feel with your fingers that they slide horizontally in a slot. It takes some force, but you can slide the tabs out of the slot and from there start to unwrap the whole thing. Once the wrapper comes off, you can then remove the cushion and the frame that is mounted on a pivot that swivels. When you get a clear view of the pivot, there is a pin inside that is secured by adhesive tape around the pivot. Remove the pin and the pivot will now swivel both forward and back. Putting everything back requires precise adjustments and patience as all the components fit very tightly, but the whole process is pretty straightforward. We didn't explore removing the "clip" inside the seat because this is enough to make the headrest usable.

Many thanks to everyone who posted useful information, especially Ntuck. And I'm thankful that my dealer, who shall remain anonymous, really stepped up to the plate when MB failed. I hope what I described above can be of use to someone in a similar situation.

Algtrd - glad you were able to get them out eventually! Also, I'm sure it will be helpful for others to remove them based on your description. I really think it did come down to the dealer given that everyone is complaining that MB won't do anything. I agree with some of the others that it's a liability for the headrest to not lay flush with the seat if you have a small child. It truly is a ridiculous and unsafe design, and the interesting thing is, when I do push the button to put the headrest down, it basically collapses on it's own anyway. I don't know their method for why it couldn't lay flat, yet still fold down on it's own when you push the button. For the amount we all pay for these, everything should be seamless and work just right. I think my dealership is VERY customer service oriented, so I know they wanted my first experience to be good.

We have had no issues with the headrests since the pins have been taken out, and just so thankful we said something. I really had a huge pit in my stomach once we took the car home after purchasing, to find that my 6 year old had to slump down. Thankfully we could have returned the car if they weren't able to fix it ,and get our money back. So that was comforting to know...even when we told them we were driving 1000 miles round trip to Vermont. They said no problem.

Hope you enjoy your new ride! I've loved mine!
Old 09-26-2013, 07:35 AM

GL 350 Bluetec
I'm convinced that every dealer knows of this problem in full but is instructed to take the "I had no idea" route when asked. The reaction at every dealer is identical. Further, if MB is not reading forums such as this for information on their product, they really are not in touch with their client. Its a shame that such a stalwart in the automotive industry takes actions such as this.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Originally Posted by CaptFett
I'm convinced that every dealer knows of this problem in full but is instructed to take the "I had no idea" route when asked.
I think you are exactly right. They way to think about this issue is to do it from a legal perspective. First, I'm not a lawyer. Headrests are part of the passenger safety system. We all know car companies submit their cars to safety tests to insure their cars meet minimum standards, and in fact get rated on their safety ratings. It's an important part of a car's specifications. Our GL's have completed their testing and have their ratings with the headrests as designed. They are ruled 'safe' from a legal perspective by passing these tests.

Now it's discovered that junior isn't comfortable in the GL as designed. The remedy involves a modification to the headrest, and the headrest's function is to protect the passenger's head during a crash. What are the options? MB could issue a service bulletin and publish instructions on how to modify the headrest. But without spending significant money to re-certify in crash tests, etc. they are opening themselves up to a legal issue if it's discovered removing the pins causes a higher likelihood of a traumatic brain injury in a crash. So MB chooses not to acknowledge a fix. Next option is the dealer to do it based upon what they've heard, read, been told. For the dealer to do this, now the dealership is taking on the responsibility for an legal issues instead of MB. MB is clean because they said there is no change, but the dealership has some liability because they tampered with it. The last option, and the one you see above, it a dealership passively permitting the modification by the owner. This limits their liability, and I'll bet any work order/receipt has no mention of the modification. This puts the liability on the owner since the work wasn't performed/authorized by MB or the dealership. Sorry that was long winded, but perhaps it puts things in perspective.

I don't know enough about the car business and crash tests, but I suspect that the MY14 changes allowed MB to do a minimal sort of safety compliance test due to minimal changes in the model. I would guess that when it comes time to do a full suite of tests, MB will have a modification in place for this headrest.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Ntuck
Algtrd - glad you were able to get them out eventually! Also, I'm sure it will be helpful for others to remove them based on your description. I really think it did come down to the dealer given that everyone is complaining that MB won't do anything. I agree with some of the others that it's a liability for the headrest to not lay flush with the seat if you have a small child. It truly is a ridiculous and unsafe design, and the interesting thing is, when I do push the button to put the headrest down, it basically collapses on it's own anyway. I don't know their method for why it couldn't lay flat, yet still fold down on it's own when you push the button. For the amount we all pay for these, everything should be seamless and work just right. I think my dealership is VERY customer service oriented, so I know they wanted my first experience to be good.

We have had no issues with the headrests since the pins have been taken out, and just so thankful we said something. I really had a huge pit in my stomach once we took the car home after purchasing, to find that my 6 year old had to slump down. Thankfully we could have returned the car if they weren't able to fix it ,and get our money back. So that was comforting to know...even when we told them we were driving 1000 miles round trip to Vermont. They said no problem.

Hope you enjoy your new ride! I've loved mine!
I'm glad I found out about the problem before taking delivery. Otherwise the initial ownership experience could have been seriously dampened! The dealer is still preparing the vehicle, including tinting the 3rd row portion of the panoramic sunroof glass. Another bad design on MB's part!
Old 09-26-2013, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
I think you are exactly right. They way to think about this issue is to do it from a legal perspective. First, I'm not a lawyer. Headrests are part of the passenger safety system. We all know car companies submit their cars to safety tests to insure their cars meet minimum standards, and in fact get rated on their safety ratings. It's an important part of a car's specifications. Our GL's have completed their testing and have their ratings with the headrests as designed. They are ruled 'safe' from a legal perspective by passing these tests.

Now it's discovered that junior isn't comfortable in the GL as designed. The remedy involves a modification to the headrest, and the headrest's function is to protect the passenger's head during a crash. What are the options? MB could issue a service bulletin and publish instructions on how to modify the headrest. But without spending significant money to re-certify in crash tests, etc. they are opening themselves up to a legal issue if it's discovered removing the pins causes a higher likelihood of a traumatic brain injury in a crash. So MB chooses not to acknowledge a fix. Next option is the dealer to do it based upon what they've heard, read, been told. For the dealer to do this, now the dealership is taking on the responsibility for an legal issues instead of MB. MB is clean because they said there is no change, but the dealership has some liability because they tampered with it. The last option, and the one you see above, it a dealership passively permitting the modification by the owner. This limits their liability, and I'll bet any work order/receipt has no mention of the modification. This puts the liability on the owner since the work wasn't performed/authorized by MB or the dealership. Sorry that was long winded, but perhaps it puts things in perspective.

I don't know enough about the car business and crash tests, but I suspect that the MY14 changes allowed MB to do a minimal sort of safety compliance test due to minimal changes in the model. I would guess that when it comes time to do a full suite of tests, MB will have a modification in place for this headrest.
What do you think is the likelihood that if/when MB comes up with a modified design, it will be offered as a retrofit to existing owners?
Old 09-27-2013, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What do you think is the likelihood that if/when MB comes up with a modified design, it will be offered as a retrofit to existing owners?
Probably depends on the fix. If it's easily retrofitted and doesn't alter the safety, perhaps.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:37 PM

Today when I was taking delivery, my salesman said MBUSA has officially released a TSB for the headrest issue. Customers have to sign a waiver, which I was aske to do.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Today when I was taking delivery, my salesman said MBUSA has officially released a TSB for the headrest issue. Customers have to sign a waiver, which I was aske to do.
Now there's a good idea - a waiver!
Old 09-29-2013, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
Would you have any info regarding this TSB such as a number etc, that is great news, thanks for posting
Old 09-29-2013, 12:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 GL450
So does this TSB use the "pin fix" or the "clip fix"? I'd prefer the pin fix I think so the headrest can swivel backwards and be flush with seat.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:28 PM

2007 R63 and a few P cars
Headrests in NO power entry seats

Just picked up my GL63 on Friday. I deleted the power entry from my order. It was somewhat of a pain as it was standard at the time....

Confirmed the headrest seats do swivel. They look the same as the power entry headrests. However, they are all or none so they stick up pretty high (just like the power entry headrests). The second row headrests (all the way up) are not to bothersome but the third row headrests are so high it interferes with rear vision. One would think they would have designed these things with a little more thought. My 2007 GMC was designed better.

The 2nd row is a pain to get up and down. I see a lot of flipping over the seat in the future.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:20 PM

2013 GL 450
Whats a TSB?
Old 09-30-2013, 12:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
Originally Posted by bimbocoles
Whats a TSB?
technical service bulletin

i wonder if it will include both? i'd really like to remove ours completely. the swivel would be a decent compromise but i just don't even need them up 350 days out of the year and prefer to take them out.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:17 PM

GL
Hi, I am about to finalize my order on the to be built GL. The order does include power entry for the second row as it was added at no extra charge by SA!
Should I remove this option so that I won't have to deal with this issue? Kids will be using the second row using booster seats.
I already drive a 2011 GL450 with no issues in and out of the third row using the manual lever.
Thanks
Old 10-05-2013, 11:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 GL 350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Walidtik
Hi, I am about to finalize my order on the to be built GL. The order does include power entry for the second row as it was added at no extra charge by SA!
Should I remove this option so that I won't have to deal with this issue? Kids will be using the second row using booster seats.
I already drive a 2011 GL450 with no issues in and out of the third row using the manual lever.
Thanks
I would recommend not getting power entry if you are used to manual already. You have to manually push the seat back up and pulling the lever to put them down manually is not difficult. To save you the hassle of you dealing with the headrests, just go w/o ez entry power. If you truly want it, then ask your dealer about the headrest issue first beforehand. I have 2 boys in boosters...and you definitely don't want to see what it's like with power and w/o headrest fix. Pushes their heads forward.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:50 PM

12 ML63, 13 GL450
TSB

Originally Posted by 1st amg
Would you have any info regarding this TSB such as a number etc, that is great news, thanks for posting
Ditto, my dealer could not find a TSB and he looked hard. Anything to help him find it would be appreciated.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by jjparkusa
Ditto, my dealer could not find a TSB and he looked hard. Anything to help him find it would be appreciated.
OK I have more information. I brought my vehicle in to have roof rack installed and 3rd row pano roof tinted, and I asked the service manager about the TSB. Turns out the TSB suggests the "clip" removal method only. He likes the "pin" removal method better and it's a simpler and more effective procedure. Told me that although the first headrest took him 30 minutes to figure out (I was there to witness) the second one took under 10 minutes in the shop.

So if you are satisfied with the "clip" removal, which allows you to manually take the headrest out but not swivel it back, your dealer should be able to find the TSB to do it. If you prefer the "pin" method that makes it swivel, you'll have to convince them that the spirit of the TSB allows for modifications, and show them printouts from this thread about how to do it.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:17 AM

GL 350 Bluetec
Has anyone who has power seats had an issue with the lever being caught in the full up position when the auto mechanism actuates the seat? I have, on a number of occassions, had the lever get stuck and not allow the seat to be secured to the floor again because the lever is in full up, held by the fabric of the seat. I manage to push on the seat and get the problem to clear, but it comes back. The power entry gets used daily as kids are in the back. (I did the full headrest removal myself.)
Old 10-12-2013, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
Go to 3:33

Old 10-12-2013, 04:13 PM

GL 350 Bluetec
QX

That's some force they kick forward with. In the MB showroom my 8 year old got slammed by the seat when her sister pushed the button on the top of the seat. Kids learn quick. No one gets in the way now.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
Originally Posted by cookstar

that is really scary
Old 10-13-2013, 12:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 S580 Prior: 2012 E350 Bluetec, 2013 GL350 Bluetec, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2006 E320 CDI, 1987 260E
Originally Posted by wamochi
that is really scary
Yeah seems even worse that someone could unintentionally press it in the first row counsel.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:46 AM

Toyota
putting second row back in place

*great* stuff here...very informative... I saw mention only once or twice about putting the second row back down. I test drove recently and experienced all the issues noted in this thread but I found it most annoying and potentially show-stopping regarding how hard it was put put the seat back down. I had to use some serious effort to do this...I can't image my kids being able to do this themselves..and possibly not even my wife... Which leaves me with a bigger problem... the pin/swivel/bump issue on the headrest and now I would have to act like a chauffeur and wait until my kids get into the 2nd and 3rd row so that I can personally put the 2nd row back down. Seriously??

Does anyone else have any feedback regarding this process? Work arounds? Frustrations? thx!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Removing 2nd Row Headrest