GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Rear sensors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 12:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL550
Rear sensors

So - here's a good story about communication (or lack thereof) when a new vehicle arrives home.

After a week of driving and trying to get used to the rear view camera - when my wife was driving I point out that she came awfully close to that car behind us when reversing.

She says she doesn't understand what I mean as the rear sensors didn't beep!

I guess there was a general expectation that, as our previous lowly family hauler beeped when close to objects, a MB would definitely do the same thing

Yep - that's right, I don't have the all around parking camera / sensor system. Lesson to the unwary.

On a side note - I'm still undecided as to value of the rear camera. I find it very hard to look down at it and use it, as I find it prevents me being alert to any cross traffic when reversing (say out of my driveway). Guess I liked the beeping also as you could rely on that as the same time as having your head up looking towards the rear.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by Dalema
So - here's a good story about communication (or lack thereof) when a new vehicle arrives home.

After a week of driving and trying to get used to the rear view camera - when my wife was driving I point out that she came awfully close to that car behind us when reversing.

She says she doesn't understand what I mean as the rear sensors didn't beep!

I guess there was a general expectation that, as our previous lowly family hauler beeped when close to objects, a MB would definitely do the same thing

Yep - that's right, I don't have the all around parking camera / sensor system. Lesson to the unwary.

On a side note - I'm still undecided as to value of the rear camera. I find it very hard to look down at it and use it, as I find it prevents me being alert to any cross traffic when reversing (say out of my driveway). Guess I liked the beeping also as you could rely on that as the same time as having your head up looking towards the rear.
RE the camera..... the backup camera on the GL is one of the best out there in terms of clarity and as an aid in backing up the vehicle. Once you get used to using it ( particularly the lines that define the width of the vehicle ) it becomes a very useful tool. When backing out of my driveway, I use the camera for a quick look at what is immediately behind me and then move to looking for cross traffic and using the mirrors .....however.... when backing into a non-traffic area ( like a parking spot or a narrow driveway in the woods) i find the camera abolutely fantastic! All of this on my current 2011...... I will be interested in learning how to use the 360 cam on the new one!
Old 02-06-2013, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL550
Absolutely - camera itself is great - and the different markings are very helpful to know where you are as you say in a tight spot.

Don't think I'll ever be able to rely on it when going out of the driveway onto the street. Do wish we had sensors actually - just that couple of seconds you have to look away is all it takes for one of the kids to run back there. That's more my point - lack if sensors that beep.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MBs
thats strange the sensors i have beep just like they do on the 1st gen-
i'm sure you have the parktronic turned on- not sure why they dont beep, very strange.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
I think he's saying he ordered it without parktronic but only has the camera...
Old 02-06-2013, 03:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MBs
o ok- i didnt know they even did that--