GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

First thoughts on the GL450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL450
First thoughts on the GL450

Just picked up the car tonight. Still have plenty of things to learn and figure out, but these are just some quick first impressions.

First, my dealer put my car in the middle of the showroom and went through all of the features there. It was a little awkward but also funny that other customers were walking around the car checking it out as I was going through the systems with my salesman.

On the ride home the first thing I noticed was how light the steering was. On the highway I felt like I really needed to turn the wheel to change lanes. It's effortless, but more of a maneuver than with my previous suv's.

This ride feels like you're on a hovercraft. So smooth I wasn't sure the tires were even there.

One tiny nitpick: For a pricey luxury car, the door lock **** might be the cheapest I've ever seen. I think the ones on the Toyota I had in high school were fancier! Doesn't really bother me, but they just don't match with anything else in the interior as far as quality.

As I'm coming from a Ford Explorer with very little technology, this is clearly a HUGE step up for me. I couldn't be happier so far. I don't understand the negative comments about the Comand system. 15 minutes with the salesman and I feel likes it's a breeze to operate. It took me much longer to get used to my wife's Audi MMI system in her A4.

Can't wait to drive this baby around over the next few days. Looks like we'll get some more snow around here soon so I can test the traction out.

My build:
GL450
Black
Almond-beige leather
Burl walnut trim
P1
Keyless Go
Driver assistance package
Parking assistance package
Lighting package
Wood/leather steering wheel
On/off road package
Trailer hitch
Illuminated running boards
Power easy entry
Rear entertainment pre-wiring
Old 03-06-2013, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Congrats! Don't forget to post some pictures in the pictures forum. I think many would like to see the black/almond color combo.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL450
Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
Congrats! Don't forget to post some pictures in the pictures forum. I think many would like to see the black/almond color combo.

Will do as soon as this storm passes through. Could be a few days.