GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Issues with new 2013 GL 450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Originally Posted by blittle
averaged 20.2 mpg at speeds ranging from 65mph to 80 ( )
That's great! Fuel efficiency does seem to be improved on the gas models then, I would get in the low 19's on longer drives with my GL. Could be the terrain, weather, etc., but good to see over 20.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL450
Question on MPG

Just a general report on issues or the lack thereof....... finished a 400 mile trip yesterday ( will go back on thurs )....no issues! All systems worked as advertised ..... averaged 20.2 mpg at speeds ranging from 65mph to 80 ( ) 800 total miles on the meter now! Really like the intelligent headlight system and the Distronic Plus!
Is this based on calculated mpg after filling up then doing the math or is this based on what the onboard computer stated?
Old 03-26-2013, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by Steve Maislin
Is this based on calculated mpg after filling up then doing the math or is this based on what the onboard computer stated?
Onboard......on my 2011, the difference between the onboard and "do the math" ran about -2 I'll do the math on the next leg of the trip coming up on Thurs.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:29 PM

2013 GL 450 & 2011 E350 Cab
I have MANY problems with my 2013 GL450 purchased in Oct 2012
1-Vibration at breaking , they have changed the rotors at 5000 mile now at 9800 mile same thing again!!
2-door lock issue which was also reported by few peoples in this forum !
3- vibration while driving very noticeable at 75 MPH. regular balance and rotation by dealer. Road force balance, Change 2 front tires, Road force balance again , changed all 4 tires and road force balance again now at 9800 mile still vibration exist and road force balance shows all 4 tires were off again
4- Ac stop working and or goes hay wire! dealers have received the alert but no fix as of yet !
5- issue with multi contour seats the massage feature was keeping the lumbar support back to zero on Driver side!
anyone else have issues as such ??

Thanks
Old 05-11-2013, 09:50 PM

2013 GL 450
Dude, lemon your car!! If you truly have all those issues I would look into that for sure.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:35 AM

gj 450
GL 450 rotor problem

I have same problem here at 6000 dealer replaced the front rotors and installed back the same brakes and the problem got fixed.Now at 10000 miles I have the same problem again . This is insane is driving me crazy .I have only one thing to say NO MORE MB is my first and last one.Going back to BMW love those cars.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:56 AM

Gerti, good Luck with that. Just keep documenting it as soon as you see it happens again which it will! need to take to dealer , Unfortunately MB USA Inc , is not much of help either and they keep denying the issue . I just file a Suite under Lemon Law

best wishes , Please keep me inform of any other issues!
Old 07-08-2013, 03:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GLS580 & S63 Cab
Originally Posted by Sarsharmo
I have MANY problems with my 2013 GL450 purchased in Oct 2012

4- Ac stop working and or goes hay wire! dealers have received the alert but no fix as of yet !

anyone else have issues as such ??

Thanks
My AC issue was fixed with a software update.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:30 PM

Angry Already Filed Lemon Law !

Originally Posted by bimbocoles
Dude, lemon your car!! If you truly have all those issues I would look into that for sure.
Already Have as the MB USA is no Help !
Old 07-08-2013, 09:08 PM

gj 450
What does it take to file a lemon with MB ?

Last edited by gerti; 07-08-2013 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-09-2013, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by gerti
In NC the car has be repaired over 4 times for the same problem or in the shop 21 days within first 2 years. then you have to request the final repair request from the MB USA Inc ( which they declined it !) after that hire a Lawyer who specialized in Lemon Law 1
The process is a lengthy process and MB USA will drag it as much hoping the owner get tired of the problem and go elsewhere and trade the car! as some folks this is their only means of transportation ! good thing I have another car ! and if I have too I will park the car and get another car while process is taking place

Good luck !
Old 07-09-2013, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by gerti
Gerti, I don't have any first hand knowledge, but there were 2 X164 GL's that were lemoned with threads about the experience in the X164 forum. You should read them for background. One has the subject of 'wind noise' by a person with the name TamZ. The other is from Momsbenz. It's not easy, it takes persistence and it takes extensive record keeping. TamZ got a buy back and went to a QX56, Momsbenz, took another GL and I think is now happily on her 3rd GL.

The lemon laws are state laws, so assuming you live in the US, you need to look up the laws in your state. They have criteria that must be met. In all cases this is really a legal remedy to the problem. You will have to provide the burden of proof as to how you satisfy your state's lemon law. Since MBUSA is the adversary in your legal battle, they will only do what is legally required, and will take their time doing it. Your dealer may align with you, with MB, or try to remain neutral. Their position will depend on their relationship with you, whether they expect future business, etc.

If you proceed I'd suggest starting a thread for your situation alone. We'll provide help, advice, moral support, etc. You will need it to get through the process. Good luck!

Last edited by JimBarnhart; 07-09-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:44 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
Originally Posted by LeicaMan
My AC issue was fixed with a software update.
LeicaMan - what was your A/C issue? just curious

a few weeks ago i experienced a weird A/C blip. when i turned on the car, none of the A/C controls were lit or working, and it stayed that way for about 1-2 min until it just decided to turn on again. after it turned on by itself, it was back on the setting i had left it when i parked and working normally.

that was the only incident and thankfully it hasn't happened again because it's summer and cabin gets so dang hot.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GLS580 & S63 Cab
Originally Posted by wamochi
LeicaMan - what was your A/C issue? just curious

a few weeks ago i experienced a weird A/C blip. when i turned on the car, none of the A/C controls were lit or working, and it stayed that way for about 1-2 min until it just decided to turn on again. after it turned on by itself, it was back on the setting i had left it when i parked and working normally.

that was the only incident and thankfully it hasn't happened again because it's summer and cabin gets so dang hot.
My front & rear blower regulator malfunctioned and required a software update.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
The Climate control "issue" is solved by wiping the programming and doing a fresh install - the programming process takes about 2hrs uninterupted...

I have seen "some" brake problems requiring rotor replacement - techs also need to "enter" request for fresh pads on that warranty service request - which gets uploaded and approved by MB - if tech/service doesn't "enter" the pad request then fresh rotors with "oroginal" pads can cause reoccurence with fresh rotors.... there were some "iffy" rotors from Fall .. shipped in from Germany they don't have coating/protection and open toro surfaces from storage "seem to me" to have caused some contamination issue.. my best "guess"... on "vibration" I have seen one GL wheel with "micro cracks" meaning the structural integrity of one wheel - in this case a front wheel - was compromised and was a b*tch to diagnose but rotating wheels and specific extended road testing identified that wheel which MB Fedx'd in from Germany for replacement under special/dealer/request/super-VIP expedite.. I have not personally seen door lock problem..personally have not seen seat/lumbar problem..
Old 07-11-2013, 03:39 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 Porsche Panamera 4, 2017 Mercedes GLS550, 2015 Porsche 911 4S
I'm kind of getting a wind noise at 30+ MPH. It feels like a window is partially open. I'm not sure if I can term it as vibration but I hope everyone understands how it feels when a glass is half way down. Does this have something to do with rotors/brakes as many have this problem here or is this some new problem? At higher speeds of 80+ its gone! Any inputs!

Also I've a rattling sound from the passenger side as if something loosened up! It happens only when I go over small bumps or potholes. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2013, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by vkk0210
I'm kind of getting a wind noise at 30+ MPH. It feels like a window is partially open. I'm not sure if I can term it as vibration but I hope everyone understands how it feels when a glass is half way down. Does this have something to do with rotors/brakes as many have this problem here or is this some new problem? At higher speeds of 80+ its gone! Any inputs!

Also I've a rattling sound from the passenger side as if something loosened up! It happens only when I go over small bumps or potholes. Thanks!
Don't have a comment on the wind noise.....But re: rattles - rattles on this vehicle can drive you crazy, not because the vehicle has loose parts, etc. but because they can be caused by something as simple as a pair of sunglasses sitting in the cup holder, a ballpoint pen in the passenger door pocket, etc. .....any small object can like that ( I have had 'em!) can vibrate against the plastic and make a sound far louder than you would expect. In addition....the acoustics of the vehicle make the sound "appear" to be coming from where its NOT.....what I thought was coming from the overhead console was actually coming from the cupholder and what I thought might be in the glovebox area was in the door pocket! In short.....you will need to take a look around, maybe with a passenger! Every "rattle" I have had on this one and on my previous model was due to something I had introduced..... nothing on the vehicle. Good luck!
Old 07-11-2013, 04:34 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 Porsche Panamera 4, 2017 Mercedes GLS550, 2015 Porsche 911 4S
Don't have a comment on the wind noise.....But re: rattles - rattles on this vehicle can drive you crazy, not because the vehicle has loose parts, etc. but because they can be caused by something as simple as a pair of sunglasses sitting in the cup holder, a ballpoint pen in the passenger door pocket, etc. .....any small object can like that ( I have had 'em!) can vibrate against the plastic and make a sound far louder than you would expect. In addition....the acoustics of the vehicle make the sound "appear" to be coming from where its NOT.....what I thought was coming from the overhead console was actually coming from the cupholder and what I thought might be in the glovebox area was in the door pocket! In short.....you will need to take a look around, maybe with a passenger! Every "rattle" I have had on this one and on my previous model was due to something I had introduced..... nothing on the vehicle. Good luck!
Thanks blittle! I'm pretty sure this rattling wasn't there when I drove from NJ to IA after taking the delivery. I'll clear everything I've in the vehicle and check it again.

The wind noise is definitely an issue and its there from day one. Recently my friend was behind the wheel and asked me if there's a window open in the back! I may have to visit the dealership.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:17 PM

Gl 450 2013
Brake problem

My Gl 450 2013 has only 7k miles.. and it looks like it has a problem with the brake.. On the local is hard to feel it, but when i speed up on the free way and push the brake pedal my car vibrates in a unsafe manner..
I will go to the dealer in a couple days.. lets see what they say..
Old 09-26-2013, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SeungHwan
My Gl 450 2013 has only 7k miles.. and it looks like it has a problem with the brake.. On the local is hard to feel it, but when i speed up on the free way and push the brake pedal my car vibrates in a unsafe manner..
I will go to the dealer in a couple days.. lets see what they say..
This is a common issue, search this forum on rotors. There was a bad bunch of contamination. Also, when finding those threads they will tell you to make sure your dealer replaces both the rotors and the pads, or a re-occurrence is likely.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:08 PM

Gl 450 2013
Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
This is a common issue, search this forum on rotors. There was a bad bunch of contamination. Also, when finding those threads they will tell you to make sure your dealer replaces both the rotors and the pads, or a re-occurrence is likely.
Thanks for the info~~ I will make sure to replace the rotor and the pads~~