GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Vibration problem with a new GL550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 04:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 CLS550 4Matic; 2014 GL350; 2015 GL63; 2016 GTS; 2021 G63
Originally Posted by Golferry
I purchased a 2014 GL350 and since I drove it off the lot have experienced a vibration at highway speeds. After several trips to the dealer and even having factory rep come and check it out I believe we finally resolved the issue. I have been told a lot of what's been said here, they all do it, too picky etc... I like you all simply refused to take that as answer for this type of vehicle. Without hesitation my service manager agreed to change out the tires and try a different brand. Perellis to Continentals, a world of difference. From the moment I drove out of the lot I could tell a difference in the smoothness over bumps. Highway ride is MUCH improved. Have a nice long road trip planned this weekend and will give the final verdict. Did switch from run flats to non-run flats.
So what's the ride like? My dealer just did a "road-force" balancing. I haven't tested it on the highway yet. My guess that may not do the trick, but I am crossing my fingers.

I also want to clarify that the vibration that I am feeling is a VERY fine vibration in the steering wheel (almost like a light buzzer). The steering wheel is not vibrating to the point that the passenger can see it. My wife says she can barely feel it, but I definitely do and tend to be bothered much more by rattles/creaks/etc in cars.

Anyway, I would love to hear how others are fairing with this especially Golferry.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2014, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
I wonder how much this problem is amplified by the large tire sizes?

I have a 2013 Kia Soul for a run around car and it's loaded and came with large (I think 18") wheels/tires. It road like xrails I road in Cozumel - very rough.

I put 15" snow tires/wheels on it last fall to give it better traction. It did give it much better traction, but I'm also amazed at how much nicer the ride is. I actually like the looks of the more rubber, but I know that is not appealing right now to many.

I'll take a smooth ride over low profile tires anyday.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 GLS450, Previously 2017 GLS450, 2014 GL450, 2012 GL450
Is the vibration everyone is referring to the slight vibration you get through the steering wheel while cruising? I only get it when I hold the steering wheel tight and I feel vibrations through it but the rest of the cabin is solid and quiet.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 CLS550 4Matic; 2014 GL350; 2015 GL63; 2016 GTS; 2021 G63
Originally Posted by Ah_gl450
Is the vibration everyone is referring to the slight vibration you get through the steering wheel while cruising? I only get it when I hold the steering wheel tight and I feel vibrations through it but the rest of the cabin is solid and quiet.
That is exactly what I am referring to. I haven't had a chance to drive my wife's car myself, but she said even after the road force balancing she still feels it. Pretty annoying that we have to deal with that on a $90k+ vehicle.

If it is due to the larger tires, then MB should acknowledge that. However, there are plenty of people with large tires and no vibration.....

I'm thinking about asking for the continentals, but need a solid argument before I do.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 GLS450, Previously 2017 GLS450, 2014 GL450, 2012 GL450
damn, that means I have the issue to, like slight buzzing in the steering.

I don't know if its really due to larger wheels because on my other car, I have very low-profiled tires and don't have this issue at all.

And aren't the contis summer tires?
Old 06-05-2014, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450, E550
I also feel a buzzing in the steering of my 2014 GL450. It’s fairly obvious to me because I just switched from a 2012 GL and it simply feels different. The old GL was smooth on the many freshly paved roads in our area, but the new GL has an irritating vibration in the steering—not as strong as lane keep warning but just enough to be a nuisance.

I have Active Lane Keeping Assist, and my dealer tells me that the vibration I’m feeling is a preliminary stage before the stronger shaking kicks in. It doesn’t make sense because the vibration is nearly constant and persists even if lane keep assist is turned off.

Anyway, this buzzing is just a nuisance and I’m dealing with bigger issues with this GL right now to fuss over it. But, I hope there’ll be enough complaints about this issue to make MB take notice.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carrera S;
2014 GL550 with 3200 miles-no vibration, no buzzing. Continentals

Hank
Old 07-16-2014, 01:17 PM

2013 GL 550
I had the same problem. They found 4 warped rotors. Now smooth as glass. Mine is a 2013 Renntech GL550 with the ECU tune and lowered 3 inches. I am running after market 22inch HRE wheels. Balance is balance, the car should run smooth as glass no matter what tire setup. Mine shook when it was brand new on the way home from dealership. My guess is a huge batch of bad rotors. My car never sat on a lot before purchase. Mine only shakes now in the rain at 65 MPH. No idea why.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:21 PM

Carrera S;
methos 969; could you tell me a little about the Renntech tune. They offer two versions-which did you install. What is difference in usable acceleration (0-60) and how about change in mpg. I have 2014 550 with Active Curve and Off/on road and strongly considering.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks
Old 07-16-2014, 03:24 PM

2013 GL 550
I wish I had before and after numbers for you. When I got the tune I only knew of one option. If there was more than one choice than I am confident my guy would have asked for the most aggressive tune. All I can say is that it pulls much harder than stock. If I did not have the active curve and on/off road setup I would get rid of the car. I only run in sport mode because the auto mode feels disgusting like a car with blown shocks. I actually feel car sick in auto mode. I get about 11.5 mpg right now in city driving. Not sure what is was beforehand because I had the dealership handle the ECU and lowering module with Renntech. The lowering module is a bit of a headache because they cannot get my camber dialed in. It looks cool but eats tires fast. I cannot find camber kits for the 2013 yet. I have a Modified Z06 with 630hp and I swear this GL pulls pretty similar in the mid rpm's. Well maybe not, but it's just as fun. There is no lag off the line. The stock GL had a lot of lag.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:46 AM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by methos1969
I wish I had before and after numbers for you. When I got the tune I only knew of one option. If there was more than one choice than I am confident my guy would have asked for the most aggressive tune. All I can say is that it pulls much harder than stock. If I did not have the active curve and on/off road setup I would get rid of the car. I only run in sport mode because the auto mode feels disgusting like a car with blown shocks. I actually feel car sick in auto mode. I get about 11.5 mpg right now in city driving. Not sure what is was beforehand because I had the dealership handle the ECU and lowering module with Renntech. The lowering module is a bit of a headache because they cannot get my camber dialed in. It looks cool but eats tires fast. I cannot find camber kits for the 2013 yet. I have a Modified Z06 with 630hp and I swear this GL pulls pretty similar in the mid rpm's. Well maybe not, but it's just as fun. There is no lag off the line. The stock GL had a lot of lag.

“I cannot find Camber kits for the 2013 yet”

(K-mac manufacture front Camber and Caster and rear Camber and Toe precisely adjustable kits to suit virtually every model Mercedes 1968 to 2014 Sedans, SUV and Commercials)

Since the mid 90 model’s, there has been no Camber and Caster adjustment facility fitted OEM!

Only current adjustment is front and rear Toe.

To attempt to return vehicle to factory specs to resolve premature inner edge tire wear, improve traction, and fix steering pull the only alternative for Camber and Caster is to fit offset, slotted bolts. But these are inaccurate one only position bolts with a minuscule .3 of one degree adjustment (3mm).

It’s no wonder many owners continually change tire brands or go from one MB Dealer or alignment shop to another trying to get it right/fix the problem.

We saw the need therefore "to fix it right the first time" by designing, developing, patenting (and re-instating from the 1990's) fully adjustable front suspension for virtually all models.

The current K-MAC kits have up to 4 times the adjustment of the one position offset bolts (both Positive or Negative). And unlike these offset one position bolts they can be accurately adjusted - under load, direct on alignment turntable (no need to remove and reinstall each time).

Ongoing precise adjustment of both Camber and Caster settings if altering suspension height, fitting wide profile tires/wheels or for curb knock damage with the unique K-MAC patented design is just a single wrench/no disassembly.

For the rear, similar kits for precise Camber adjustment with additional Toe to compensate for the new Camber facility. Unlike the alternative adjustable Camber arms K-MAC rear kits do not move top of tire outwards - this reducing all important clearance to outer fender when adjusting to fix premature inner edge tire wear/improve rear traction.

Bonus with the four front and four rear bushes is that they are designed with twice the load bearing area and also replace the highest wearing suspension bushings. And with K-MAC no special tools are required to fit.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:45 PM

gl550
I have vibration too

The vibration shows up at 70+ miles/hr.
It is noticeable at 80.

Is it the wind hitting the vehicle?
I just had the car reviewed and it was is top shape.
Id want this repaired before the warrantee expires.

thanks,
terry
Old 08-07-2014, 06:40 AM

2012 GL350
Originally Posted by doctorG
That is exactly what I am referring to. I haven't had a chance to drive my wife's car myself, but she said even after the road force balancing she still feels it. Pretty annoying that we have to deal with that on a $90k+ vehicle.

If it is due to the larger tires, then MB should acknowledge that. However, there are plenty of people with large tires and no vibration.....

I'm thinking about asking for the continentals, but need a solid argument before I do.
Not sure if this is relevant but I'd like to post my finding here. I have X164 2012 350 Desiel in UK. I feel slight vibration on the steering wheel when I do about 60-80m on motoway. Because there are narrow country A road in UK, I normally switch to sport when on A road and comfort on motoway. The vibration won't happen all the time and will be stopped if I switch between the driving mod. i.e. comfort -> sport -> back to comfort again. So I never bother to go to the dealer for it. I guess it might be something to do with the air suspension. Just my two cents. Hope will help.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:18 PM

GL550
GL550 Vibration

I have a brand new 2015 GL550. At 1600 miles the mysterious "vibration" has started. Geez. Are you listening MB headquarters???
Old 10-09-2014, 11:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'14 GL550 , '79 911SC
Picked up a '14 GL550 this week with 12k on it. I had some concerns after reading this thread, but no such issues with the car. However, I had asked the dealer to provide the service history for it, and found that the tires had been changed out In August - now sporting Conti's. So this would appear to be a consistent issue/solution. They're a little noisy, but no other issues.

Btw - I came from an '03 Audi RS6 that I owned since new, this is my first MB and I'm really enjoying it (ok, just 2 days, I know).
Old 10-10-2014, 05:49 AM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
Originally Posted by LIRS6
Picked up a '14 GL550 this week with 12k on it. I had some concerns after reading this thread, but no such issues with the car. However, I had asked the dealer to provide the service history for it, and found that the tires had been changed out In August - now sporting Conti's. So this would appear to be a consistent issue/solution. They're a little noisy, but no other issues.

Btw - I came from an '03 Audi RS6 that I owned since new, this is my first MB and I'm really enjoying it (ok, just 2 days, I know).
Congratulations on the new truck... Buying a CPO is absolutely hands down the best way to own one of these vehicles...
Old 10-20-2014, 03:38 PM

gl550
road vibration

Hi,
I have a 2011 GL550 with 29k miles.
It had vibration too.
At first MB shop said it was brakes/rotors.. $1300.
So I replaced the brakes/rotors/sensors at 27k… but…

I still had a vibration but at 75-80mph.

Shop just replaced front struts Airmatic replaced, and they stated my wheel was out of "true".

took the car up to 95 this weekend… smooth as silk…

Thankfully, all repairs (except truing of tire) were under warrantee. The front repair is ~2250 per side…$4500 total…
Old 10-23-2014, 11:07 AM

GL450, A4, Yari & SV650s
I understand how you feel.
I have had my share.
In your case, you are loosing rubber on the tires to compensate the 21" wheel.
That contributes a small percentage of the vibration.
Try a 4 wheel alignment and 4 wheel balance.
Tell them to remove all the lead weight that are already on the wheels before they start balancing.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:45 AM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by iwinandrew
I understand how you feel.
I have had my share.
In your case, you are loosing rubber on the tires to compensate the 21" wheel.
That contributes a small percentage of the vibration.
Try a 4 wheel alignment and 4 wheel balance.
Tell them to remove all the lead weight that are already on the wheels before they start balancing.

Since the mid ‘90 model’s, full 4 wheel alignment no longer exists - there has been no front or rear Camber (or front Caster) adjustment facility fitted OEM!

Only current adjustment is front and rear Toe.

To attempt to return vehicle to factory specs to resolve premature inner edge tire wear, improve traction, and fix steering pull the only current alternative for Camber and Caster is to fit offset, slotted bolts (for the front only). But these are inaccurate one only position bolts offering a minimal .3 of one degree adjustment (3mm).

It’s no wonder many owners continually change tire brands or go from one MB Dealer or alignment shop to another trying to get it right/fix the problem!

We saw the need therefore "to fix it right the first time" by designing, developing, patenting (and re-instating from the 1990's) fully adjustable front (and rear) suspension for virtually all models.

The current K-MAC kits have up to 4 times the adjustment of the one position offset bolts (both Positive or Negative). And unlike these offset one position bolts they can be accurately adjusted - under load, direct on alignment turntable (no need to remove and reinstall each time).

Ongoing, precise adjustment of both Camber and Caster settings if altering suspension height, fitting wide profile tires/wheels, curb knock damage or being able to quickly fine tune/change specs on race days. Extra Negative (plus track width) to go deeper into the corners/lower lap times. With the unique K-MAC patented design only requires use of a single wrench/no disassembly.

For the rear, similar kits for precise Camber adjustment (with additional Toe to compensate for the new Camber facility). Importantly unlike the alternative adjustable Camber arms K-MAC rear kits do not move top of tire outwards - this reducing the essential clearance top of tire to outer fender when adjusting to fix premature inner edge tire wear/improve rear traction.

Also instead of spherical bearings as used on control arms which prematurely pound out allowing metal to metal contact. At K-MAC we have developed long life elastomer bushings.

Bonus with the four * front and four rear bushes is that they are also designed with twice the load bearing area and replace the highest wearing suspension bushings. And with K-MAC no special tools are required to fit.

* Especially the front lower arm "rear" bushes - first bushes to fail (and OEM bushes very expensive to replace).

Old 11-05-2014, 11:42 AM

GL550, 911 4CS
I have 2013 GL550 with 21's and have exact issues you have. Previously have driven 2009 and 2011 GL 450's with 20's which were flawless from a driveability perspective. The vibrations and shudder are Incredibly frustrating - I've driven 10 year old F150's that have been smoother. Brakes and pads have been replaced, but they've not stepped up to try new tires. Will be back in the shop for 4th time to try and resolve. Not what I expected for a $100K ride. Instead of enjoying what should be a great ride, I'm mostly irritated when I drive it now. It may be time to go back to BMW's
Old 06-23-2015, 02:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 GL450
vibration at highway speed and vibration when braking

Here is my share of story on this issue:

Bought a 2013 certified 450 with appearance package (20" rims with Pirellis scorpion verde). First time drive it home I can feel the vibration on brake and also at highway speed even when not braking.

Took it back, they checked and said the rotors were out of spec and replaced both front rotors and pad. They also found left rear tire was bad and replaced it. Brake vibration was gone but still can feel some vibration driving highway speed.

Took it back again, they checked again and said the right rear tire was also bad as well and has to be changed (you would think they should have checked all for tires / wheels the first time round?!). Just get the car back this morning this time it seems to be better. I have to find a nice flat stretch of highway (which in NY can be challenging) to be really sure. But hopefully it will be good for now...

A little frustrating to have to go back a twice to get it straight. Good that it didn't cost me anything as they good willed everything for it to be a CPO just went out of door. But I surely will be irritated if the problem comes back again. The brake rotor, brake pad, and also the 21" Pirelli seems to have quite bad rep from what I read online?

Last edited by byroncheung; 06-23-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:27 PM

gl550
What wheels? I have 21 chrome.

Hi Bryan,
I have the 21 Chrome wheels, and was wondering if you have the same. My concern is that now at 41k, I will have wheel trueing issues..

Other than this, the car and MB have been great to me.
No regrets at all.
t
Old 06-23-2015, 03:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 GL450
Originally Posted by tmurphy25
Hi Bryan,
I have the 21 Chrome wheels, and was wondering if you have the same. My concern is that now at 41k, I will have wheel trueing issues..

Other than this, the car and MB have been great to me.
No regrets at all.
t
Hey sorry murphy I got my fact wrong - I had 20" not 21". Mine car was 30+k when I bought it. From the notes I got they said 2 tires were replaced in the CPO certification process (although it doesn't say if those 2 where the two they found faulty later when I brought it back), it was possible those tires was bad from the the get go.

I will be at lost of I were to change the tires when my current set wears out. From reading online, seems like every tire got some complains from someone, be it conti, michi or pirelli, there is no consensus on which one is better. One thing for sure is the bigger the rims the high chance of having issue... Good luck to both of us...
Old 09-15-2015, 08:52 PM

Mercedes-Benz 2013 GL550 CPO
Hey just wanted to add my story in:

Benz: 2013 GL550 CPO --> purchased 01/15 at 12k miles. Currently 20k miles. Issues first started at ~15k miles (around 05/15). They have the stock 21" rims & Pirelli's from the original purchase 2 years ago.

Issue: I first experienced the vibration in May 2015. I got into my benz in the morning, drove onto the highway, started to reach 50mph, when all of the sudden vibration starts. You know those speed bump indentations on the side of the highway, built into the shoulder? Thats what it felt like. It felt like I was constantly driving on a never-ending strip of that. Entire car and steering wheel shaking.

Vibration Service Trips to MB Manhattan :
1. June 2015 - They balanced the tires and aligned the wheels.
2. July 2015 - Changed the two rear tires to brand new Pirellis.
3. September 2015 (Car at dealer right now) - Finally acknowledged that they felt the vibration (they didn't feel it on the 1st 2 visits), and changed the remaining 2 tires. Now I have 4 brand new Pirellis. They road-tested it, and still felt the vibration. Service manager calls me, says that its a "feature of the vehicle". I got "upset", and told him I refuse to pickup the car unless he provides me in writing that this vibration is a "feature" of my car, after which I will most likely Lemon the vehicle, maybe even sue them for not disclosing this feature in any manual when I purchased the car. He said he will get back to me, and hung up. I do not think he knows what to do, either he has to fix the problem or give it to me in writing, neither of which I think he wants to do.

NY lemon law states acceptable grounds for filing a claim (I think my vehicle falls under the "new" category since it had less than 18k miles at time of purchase): Defect must have tried to been repaired at least 4 times, or the vehicle was with the dealership for more than 30 calendar days in total.

At this point, I'm pretty sure he's had my car for 30 days, has been over a week for each visit. If it doesn't get fixed after this 3rd time, I am most likely filing a claim.

And just to add to this, another issue: The driver and passenger seat move during turns/cornering, with about a 1cm wobble room to the left. Every time I turn, I get this big kick as the seat moves and then abruptly stops after moving that 1cm. This is also the 3rd time attempting to fix this issue. They "fixed" it the first 2 times by adding padded rubber felt underneath the seats. I did not buy a CPO benz so that the dealer can do some patch work and add padded felt. I bought a CPO because I assumed it was supposed to almost be like Factory-new. This doesn't seem like it. Am I wrong? Thanks for reading guys. Feels good to vent.

Last edited by slaydemon; 09-15-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:23 PM

gl550
Hi, the dealership replaced all the struts in my car. rebalanced an out of true tire. and I haven't had a complaint since. (did get a giant speeding ticket, but that was my fault).
The GL is awesome, no complaints at 44k (GL550 2011). I am putting on snows as the Conti UHP tires are almost done, they may be good for 4 months next spring summer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vibration problem with a new GL550