GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Wet musty smell

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 10:25 PM
SSI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW
I am having this same problem with my 2014 GL450. I've had it for about 13 months (8k miles) and have noticed a terrible odor a minute or so after the air conditioner comes on. It is disgusting, and not to mention embarrassing when others are in the car. I left a message at the service department and haven't heard back yet. I also worry this could be a health hazard if mold is circulating through the air of our family car? Has anyone dealt with this recently? Will the service department know how to fix this and I assume it should be free of charge, right?
Old 06-02-2015, 10:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 GL450
Originally Posted by SSI
I am having this same problem with my 2014 GL450. I've had it for about 13 months (8k miles) and have noticed a terrible odor a minute or so after the air conditioner comes on. It is disgusting, and not to mention embarrassing when others are in the car. I left a message at the service department and haven't heard back yet. I also worry this could be a health hazard if mold is circulating through the air of our family car? Has anyone dealt with this recently? Will the service department know how to fix this and I assume it should be free of charge, right?
Check for dead squirrels or rats in the engine compartment.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E550C
can someone please post PDF of this TSB? LI83.30-P-059119 thanks
Old 01-03-2016, 08:05 PM

GL350
Filthy Odor GL350

Bought a new 2015 GL350 3 months back. Recently, experiencing filthy odor in the vehicle. Read some posts on mold odor, appears that I have very similar issue. Paying 80K to have such as these is redeculus. Hope this could be fixed.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cls550
I am currently going through this problem. I sprayed lysol. But i watched a video on youtube and it is a long process to remove the dash board. I hope the odor doesn't come back or I would have to remove the dashboard.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:01 PM

2010 G55, 2010 C250, Volvo S40 T5, Pajero, Passat, 1995 SL500
Heading to dealer tomorrow morning for the same problem on my 2010 G55. Service Manager told me over the phone today that the evaporator needs to be changed every about 5 years... (at a horrendous cost)!! Mike, who had two G's here in Dubai and does almost all work himself on the cars, told me he changed two condensors but never the evaporator! One garage (trusted) told me evaporator needs to go! Who do you believe in this day and age! Will get to the bottom of it (hopefully) tomorrow! Heat has kicked in! Just remembered that both my mother's C250 and my sister's B200 had smell issues that were resolved by changing the air filter.
Update: dealer says evaporator bust! Must be changed! Dam. Has anyone ever needed to change their evaporator on their G?? Thanks

Last edited by Amnaggar; 05-02-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:57 AM

2015 GL 550
MB bulletin for Funky Smell

The Smell and issues are real. Here is the MB "alert". It is hidden like the secret formula for Coke (could not find after spending hours trolling for it on-line but luckily received it from a local MB tech adviser). I believe that all cars have this smell at one time or another but the MB (if you experience it) occurs much more often and at amuch "stronger" level of funk. With all the current studies of the potential negative health impacts from molds around your home or work place, does it make sense to ignore or chalk this up to "Normal".

MB bulletin #L183.30-P-059119
Old 05-18-2016, 09:03 AM

2010 G55, 2010 C250, Volvo S40 T5, Pajero, Passat, 1995 SL500
And no, you won't have MB come and say we've redesigned the evaporators and we'll change them all for free, but instead we, and I just last week, get charged something to the tune of $4,000 to fix it!! Every 4 years, as MB service manager said to me!!
Old 05-18-2016, 11:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
The only way I've found to mitigate this issue, and yes, it exists on all GL's and ML's, perhaps all MB cars, particularly ones in humid climates, is to turn off the AC and run the blower on high a minute or so prior to reaching your final destination for the day. You will see a ton of condensation form on the vents when you do this. Basically, by doing this, you are drying out the duct work prior to shutting your car off for the night. It almost seems like there is frost on the cooling coils that melts and then evaporates when you turn the blower on high. It is ridiculous that this needs to be done, but it is the only way I've found to keep the smell from occurring.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 GL450
Originally Posted by Patch123
MB bulletin #L183.30-P-059119
So what kind of work do they do for this? And has anyone had it done yet?

My car is in the humid South and does suffer from this in warmer months mostly.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:16 AM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
on GLC300 #2 (GL350 before those)
Patch, for the community (no personal need), might you scan and post that bulletin? I believe others will appreciate the help.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:41 AM

2012 E350 Coupe 3.5
Originally Posted by dtk92657
Leetom, you and I know that replacing cabin air filter is not a permanent solution. This is a fundamental design problem that somewhere in the AC system (i.e. evaporator) is trapping moisture and providing a haven for mold to grow. I am an engineer by profession and at work we deal with many difficult problems and we don't stop until we root cause the underlying issue. Spraying disinfectant foam such as Lysol will only be a termporary solution and mold will return as long as there is a moisture. My tech advisor initially told me that they are replacing the evaporator with newly designed one. It turned out they didn't. They just cleaned with warm water. So my problem of mold smell may return in future. When I asked him why evaporator was not replaced with new design, he also learned that even 2015 GL class cars are coming in for the same problem. So it is evident Mercedes didn't address the fundamental issue. I don't know whether every GL class has the same problem or not, but according to the advisor, there are quite a bit of GL class with the same problem. Some are really really bad he said. I don't know whether people know it or not, but the mold is a serious health threat. It can cause all kinds of health problems. Perhaps not for everyone according to my research but about one third of people (30%) who have certain genetic marker will develop serious health issues including auto immune disease and cancer. Simply google search under "mold and health" you will find so many articles. If your home has mold, then you cannot sell the home until you do complete mediation and show proof of mold free. Car is a more confined space and you will inhale everything through the vent. I was thinking about filing the case with "Consumer Watchdog Lawyer". Then at least the dealer did something major and my problem of mold smell stopped for now. So I cannot pursuit any longer.
I have been a owner of mercedes for past 30 years. I have owned 1988 190E, 2000 E320, 2003 S550, 2014 S550, and 2014 GL350. All prior to 2014 models that I owned I didn't have this problem.
My wife complained that our 2014 S550 also had musty dirty socks smell 7 months after purchase. I confirmed the smell and my wife's multiple friends confirmed the "sour stinking socks smell". I took the car (S550) to the FJ Newport but they say unable to comfirm the smell and told us to pick up the car. They also say that they don't have any known problem with 2014 S550 and further say that the advisor is told to not take the car in the shop unless they can verify the smell. I guess all dealer techs are very insensitive to smells.^^ So we had to pick up the car and bring the car back home. We stopped driving the S550 for a while (weeks) until we are sure of mold free. Because both my wife and I have a certain genetric marker and also have compromised auto immune system and we cannot deal with any mold issue if there exists.
So when we came home we turned on the fan to the maximum speed with max heat for hours with engine running (without us in it). We did it a few times, and at least the smell in S550 subsided quite a bit over time. Then we hired mold testing lab technician did the testing on both GL350 (after the repair) and S550. It showed that the mold elevation was not significant enough and we concluded it is at least safe to drive the car until the problem develops more seriously. It costed me ~$600 for both mold and VOC testing. Too bad we had to go through this much headache. I spent so much time and money agonizing over both mold and chemical smell issues after spending $200K for purchasing both mercedes. I wasn't going to purchase any more mercedes but my collegue told me that he learned through review that the new mercedes improved so much in reliability. Well .... I don't know about that... Both S550 and GL350 is a super car. I really like it. I think it is the best car if it didn't have these problems. Well... let me put it this way. Having a problem is one thing but trying to save money by denying the problem is another. I also learned that local dealers hands are tight as they only get paid for the work Mercedes manufacturer approves.
When people purchase cars of this caliber, chances are that people are entrepreneur of some businesses. If I am a mercedes CEO, I would accept and address the issues at all cost. I would recall the cars and examine and make sure there is no problem. Perhaps the Mercedes CEO doesn't know about this issue. I took my other issue (chemical smell) to the highest case manager in MBUSA but didn't think of reaching the CEO. If I have enough evidence, then I will. I will even contact consumer protection agencies and even news media including 60 minutes if needed.
If people develop some serious health issues due to this known problem, they may face a big law suit, eventually if it gets to the media, they will lose a lot of buyers. There may be so many people turned away from the dealer as the dealer says "unable to confirm the problem". According to my research so many people are suffering from this mold (dirty socks smell) issue.
My car is so bad I dont turn on the ac in the summer because I truly feel it will make me sick. FJ Merc is blowing me off also.