GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

where can I find technical info on on/off road package?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 12:40 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 GLS580 all black. 2014 GLK black (kids car). formerly: 2014 GL550 Palladium Silver (US)
where can I find technical info on on/off road package?

I can't seem to find any detail on the on/off road package for GLs. Can you help me find it?
Old 07-07-2013, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by cincy8
I can't seem to find any detail on the on/off road package for GLs. Can you help me find it?
I know there is some tech info out there....but unfortunately, I can't recall where I saw it....however, I have owned three GL's since 07 and all with the "off-road package" perhaps I can answer most questions?
Old 07-07-2013, 09:10 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 GLS580 all black. 2014 GLK black (kids car). formerly: 2014 GL550 Palladium Silver (US)
Thanks.
This will be our first MB. I'm trying to figure out what we get with the 4 wheel drive as it comes vs. the additional capability with on&off road package.
We will not off road. But I am interested in equipping the car to deal with <8" snow and Ice.
I've had a couple Suburbans with Traction Control and 4wd. I now have an '07 X5 4.8i.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by cincy8
Thanks.
This will be our first MB. I'm trying to figure out what we get with the 4 wheel drive as it comes vs. the additional capability with on&off road package.
We will not off road. But I am interested in equipping the car to deal with <8" snow and Ice.
I've had a couple Suburbans with Traction Control and 4wd. I now have an '07 X5 4.8i.
The currrent generation of the ON/OFF road package is more functional than the previous version as it includes a "snow" program that changes the throttle response, shift points, and traction control system as well as the auto locking center differential.... to better respond to slippery conditions. While in the snow program you can also put the system into "low range," raise the vehicle to get a maximum ground clearence of 14in. Also with the system is the ablility to put the system into maximum off road which keeps the vehicle in low gear and locks the center differential equalizing torque to to both axles all the time. For me....traveling the dirt/mud roads of Vermont which turn into snow in the winter, this system is perfect. The extra added benefits ( on road ) are: an enhanced "sport" mode that not only changes the behavior of the suspension but also changes the throttle response and shift points.....really makes the vehicle handle and accelerate beyond what an SUV is all about! Also with the package is a full "manual" mode that allows you to do all the shifting! (within reasonable limits ) Very few people order the package....but if you need it, it really turns the vechicle into a "mountain goat in a tux!" The only capability that it does NOT have that the previous gen had is the ability to lock the REAR diff. Hope this helps....
Old 07-14-2013, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda Odyssey
Question Why dealer hates on/off road package

Originally Posted by blittle
Very few people order the package....but if you need it, it really turns the vechicle into a "mountain goat in a tux!"...
I am building a new GL and wanted to put on/off road package on it. But my dealer is asking not to go for it. He is even saying that he will not buy back the car any time in the future or even trade in for a car like this. When I asked to look for within an existing 2013 inventory, he told me that they never keep those types of cars. When I asked for the reason, he could not give much convincing answer but sounded as if such car can not be trusted as the owner might have driven it on all types of terrains which might depreciate the car too much due to excessive wear and tear.

Please advise if such a car with on/off road package will fetch me any inferior reselling price versus the one without this package. If I sell my car after 5 years, would there be any buyers jumping for this car since this one has on/off road package which is so rare to find? Why dealers hate this package so much? I really wanted to have this package. I live in Ohio which has a lot of snow and icing on the road for 6 months in a year and visit West Virginia quite a few times a year which is quite hilly.

I would highly appreciate your response and any knowledge\truth that could be brought forward.

Thanks a million in advance.

Last edited by ceo2b; 07-14-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ceo2b
I am building a new GL and wanted to put on/off road package on it. But my dealer is asking not to go for it. He is even saying that he will not buy back the car any time in the future or even trade in for a car like this. When I asked to look for within an existing 2013 inventory, he told me that they never keep those types of cars. When I asked for the reason, he could not give much convincing answer but sounded as if such car can not be trusted as the owner might have driven it on all types of terrains which might depreciate the car too much due to excessive wear and tear.

Please advise if such a car with on/off road package will fetch me any inferior reselling price versus the one without this package. If I sell my car after 5 years, would there be any buyers jumping for this car since this one has on/off road package which is so rare to find? Why dealers hate this package so much? I really wanted to have this package. I live in Ohio which has a lot of snow and icing on the road for 6 months in a year and visit West Virginia quite a few times a year which is quite hilly.

I would highly appreciate your response and any knowledge\truth that could be brought forward.

Thanks a million in advance.
Well here is my take...... the package is limited availability, slows things down a bit which of course, slows down the process of the dealer getting his final payment for the vehicle..... MY DEALER was great, said "get what you want " which i have done since my first GL450 purchase in 2007. My second purchase was a 2011 with the "OPR" In each case I had to order the vehicle because there were none in the "pipeline" with the "ORP" When I traded the 07 on the 11 and then the 11 on the 13 I got an extra "bump" in trade value BECAUSE it had the ORP! My cars were in beautiful condition, not beat up, and they knew it..... my ORP use was to deal with mud and snow...not rocks and logs! The ORP on the current gen. is fantastic....with "on road" benefits! For me ..... in a northern climate, with monthly treks to a cabin in the hills of Vermont..... I would not be without it! But that said...the on road programs in the "off road package" give you some amazing performance capabilities! Its all in what you want........