GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Thoughts on Opti-coat?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 01:11 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 GLS580 all black. 2014 GLK black (kids car). formerly: 2014 GL550 Palladium Silver (US)
Thoughts on Opti-coat?

Is there any reason why I shouldn't do Opti-coat on my GL550?
Unfortunately, I can't garage it and want to protect paint from sprinkler dirt and bird bombs.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
I have it on my M5 and it is fantastic. Strongly recommended IMHO.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 BMW 550ix
I have it on my 550ix and love it. Had the vehicle transported directly to a trusted detailer who prepped and opti-coated it.

Here's a blog post from the detailer that shows my vehicle and some pictures of the process: http://www.reflections-detailing.com...nt-and-wheels/

I will be doing this to every vehicle I order from now on, including the GL (when I finally order it )
Old 08-07-2013, 07:19 PM

2014 GL350-BMW 650-1960 corvette-2009 Mustang
I got it on my 650 I had some chips and stains

Went back to the dealer service advisor turned th contract over and went thru the 2 pages of small print
Told me not covered under the warranty

Took to a body shop had my hood painted

Body shop guy told me there was funky stuff on my hood needed lot of extra work to prep and paint did not charge me extra

I have mixed feelings
Old 08-07-2013, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
For the price and professional installation of course someone who has it done should love it - Einszett Glanzwac (Blue Top) is a great 6 month sealant and can be applied by hand for about $20.. re-apply every 6 months. My personal opinion anything with a buffer on a nano-clearcoat is using "old-school" on new-school finish.

On nano clear coat - think tiny tortise shell armor - sealant fills in the top surface with a bonding sealant - Einszett.. great stuff.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
For the price and professional installation of course someone who has it done should love it - Einszett Glanzwac (Blue Top) is a great 6 month sealant and can be applied by hand for about $20.. re-apply every 6 months. My personal opinion anything with a buffer on a nano-clearcoat is using "old-school" on new-school finish.

On nano clear coat - think tiny tortise shell armor - sealant fills in the top surface with a bonding sealant - Einszett.. great stuff.
I followed your rec. and love this stuff!
Old 08-08-2013, 10:31 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 GLS580 all black. 2014 GLK black (kids car). formerly: 2014 GL550 Palladium Silver (US)
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1

Nano clear coat? Is that what MB has on the paint? Where can I find more info?
Is the Einszett a wax?

I don't see myself as having the ability & skill to do myself the way I'd want it done. I recently had my '07 X5 detailed and waxed and it looks new again with the exception of some bird bomb stains. I can also have the GL waxed vs Opti-coat. But Opti-coat is $100 more and probably lasts 4x longer, so cheaper overall (including labor).

If there is an issue with the product on the MB finish, that's another consideration. I can't find anything other than "buy MB shampoo" recommendations from MB, so please share if you have links to technical info on the finish.

Maybe someday I'll get a carport!
Old 08-09-2013, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
With a fresh MB - the new clearcoat technology will take a "wax" - sure - but witout a sealant the wax will poop out fairly quickly.

Glanzwax (Blue Top) is a German made sealant specifically designed for this type of clear coat - and on it's own you could call it a sealant-wax.

However, if you want have even deeper depth and lustre - you can choose to add a nano carnuba wax on top of it - wait about a week for the Glanzwax to "double cure" and any good spray nano carnuba (here nano means the carnuba is micro homogenized) - and a spray bottle of that is like $10.

All of this is easy hand-applied DIY - since detail shops break out all that buffing equipment.

Some enthusiasts "step-up" to more esoteric products like Black Fire and higher.

The ting to understand - the new clear coat technology is great - and adding to that is a great sealant designed for that clearcoat.

The reason water doesn't "bead" on a MB new clearcoat is the microscopic "scales" think of a tortoise shell.

Sealant makes the tortoise shell smooth, which allows carnuba was to bound even better.

Ganzwax is good on the wheels, and metal trim as well, and doesn't "white cloud" rubber trim if you accidently get on that..

For Amazon total $30... Glanzwax and Eagle Nano Carbuba spray - a couple of microfiber cloths and a afternoon... who is going to review something that affordable ?
Old 08-21-2013, 03:39 PM

VW Jetta
Originally Posted by cincy8
Is there any reason why I shouldn't do Opti-coat on my GL550?
Unfortunately, I can't garage it and want to protect paint from sprinkler dirt and bird bombs.
I am a professional detailer and I was directed here by a forum member.

First of all OPTI COAT is an actual clear coat. Not a special wax or sealant.

Once applied, the coating will stay on permanently, just like your OEM clear coat . There is no other product that can match the durability of Opti Coat.

Of course if you want to have your car detailed few times a year, by all means use a traditional wax or sealant. I am so impressed with Opti Coat, that I no longer offer other options for protection.

As far as the look is concerned, the gloss and shine will come from prep work, not from the wax or sealant, although each LSP will add to the finish. I'd say 90 percent is prep.

Opti coat WILL NOT prevent water spots. You will need to deal with them even with Opti Coat on the car, but the water spots stay on top of Opti Coat, and will be pretty easy to deal with. Same with bird droppings. As soon as you find them, you need to clean the surface.

Another huge plus is how a freshly washed Opti Coated car will look the same as when the car was initially detailed. 6 months or 6 years from now it doesn't matter. Of course you will need to learn how to properly maintain the finish. And because Opti Coat is harder than OEM clear, so it is more mar resistant. If your car is swirl free, you can actually keep it that way.

I hope this helps you a little bit.