GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

PRE-SAFE Functions Currently Limited

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
cannot replicate the issue. I hate when they come back with this. How many times will it take. Its not like we have all the time in the world to take off and drop off the vehicle.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB GL550
Repost - of my 1st mbworld post - from other sections, but just happened to me last week:

Quick hello from a, new to me, Obsidian Black 2015 GL550 (all options except night vision, B&O, and illuminated star).

Been a long time (35 year) VAG client, but the diesel scandal - and the need for a real 3rd row - caused me to convert.

So far so good, (albeit a bit too soft, when not in sport mode) until last week, when the ESP systems went kafluey (pulling out of a parking lot, and the distronic plus started fighting me to stop, even though it wasn't on) and after shutting down and restarting, all the ESP systems were disabled, and the brakes felt like even the slightest touch would cause them to lock up.

MB of Manhattan said the control unit would require 2 month build from Germany, but instead they would switch out the whole ABS unit (which includes the control unit).

Seems like a pretty big fail for a 5,000 mile, 1YO GL550? Any advice, comments, and/or similar experiences would be appreciated.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
S550
Hi Carl

Hi Carl

I have just encountered the same identical issue as the one you listed
pre safe features currently unavailable
blind spot assist not working

any help regarding the same would help a lot ..

also it would help me before I make an actual appt with the stealership.

thanks Carl

Originally Posted by carlosamg50
Hi all

Just bringing this subject back up as I have this issue with my 2013 GL63 AMG.

I only get the pre safe and blind spot assist error messages but know that the distronic and park sensors are also off at the moment.

Have restarted several times, no change, comes on a few seconds after start up.

It will be going in but anyone have any ideas, seems strange that my par sensors are off when reversing if the front radar can be the cause of the pre safe message?

Thanks

Carl

Last edited by kunzy80; 05-28-2018 at 01:20 AM.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
S550
Hi Carl

Hi Carl
I was wondering if you received my previous message.

I had the same identical problem
in the same identical car as yours..

any updates on this situation?

thanks again

K

Originally Posted by kunzy80
Hi CarlhHi

I have just encountered the same identical issue as the one you listed
pre safe features currently unavailable
blind spot assist not working

any help regarding the same would help a lot ..

also it would help me before I make an actual appt with the stealership.

thanks Carl

Old 08-02-2018, 05:39 PM

2014 E350
Pre-Safe Functions Limited

I had the same problem on my wife's 2014 E350 (message: Pre-safe functions limited). car would die out at a stop t and crank right back up on its on after a few seconds. it happened every time she went somewhere. I took it to MB dealer, and after running diagnostic and finding nothing (other than outdated unrelated softwares), they decided to check the battery. It showed good at first, but after a "more in depth test" they found one cell was starting to go bad. It has been over a week since they installed the nee battery and thus far the car has been running flawlessly. so if you are having the same problem, make sure to test your battery.

Good Luck.

Last edited by lindner_cls; 08-03-2018 at 08:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
WestyOfPoole (07-03-2024)
Old 02-20-2021, 12:39 AM

V Class
Originally Posted by JoeMa
Update: The dealer had the car all day Thursday and half a day Friday but could not find the cause of the power loss. Their head technician was on vacation this week so they scheduled the car to be brought back in next Wednesday for more diagnostic analysis. I hope they can figure out what happened (twice). They agree with me that it should never lose power to the point of being unsafe on the road. The system was almost acting like a collision was about to happen.
IT happened to me also! Mercedes V Class, at 100 kmh the message Pre Safe is Disabled and the car entered limp mode with no possibility to accelerate! This is madness. I have my car stucked in dealership since November 2020 with no resolution so far!(4 months)
The following users liked this post:
Vultch (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CL550
CL550 pre-safe limp mode stalling - super dangerous

I have this beautiful 2012 CL550 I recently bought in Vancouver only 32,000 kms.

Unfortunately it has the dangerous intermittent stalling issue that generally happens at slow speeds going up a hill or on the highway at 120km or so. I lose about 80% of power. Both situations completely unacceptably dangerous.

I turn it on and off and the car performs normally until it happens again.

Mercedes Richmond has had my car for almost a month, multiple visits, and over $6k, but no fix.

Can someone advise me what to do?

Last edited by Vultch; 06-18-2024 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-19-2024, 12:04 AM

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
GL 450
Mine did this today driving home in the rain, a 500 mile trip, pouring rain for much of it. All of sudden it gave me the error message, power fell off, would not turn off with out the physical key. I drove it home last 120 miles, was not too bad, just slow. I thought I read somewhere about resetting the ECU, I found the below, has anyone tried this?

ECU reset procedure: ECU adaptation reset will make your car faster if it's been driven slowly for a while.

1. Enter the car and close the doors. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.
2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds.
3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.
4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset.
5. Drive the car and you will most likely notice it's a bit more peppy

https://www.benzworld.org/threads/re.../#post-2217418

I currently disconnected both batteries and will check to see what happens in the morning. I think my batteries are only a couple years old, given the amount of rain, I am inclined to believe that something got wet and will hopefully dry out tonight. I will test them tomorrow however.

Aside from the dealer, any other thoughts on scanning it? In the current situation, it will not let you access the service menu, so I cannot resset the service intervals or access the codes.

Any other thoughts are appreciated.
Old 08-19-2024, 01:20 PM

GL 450
I checked all the fuses, all three boxes,
Cleaned all 8 sensors in the bumpers, I noticed that several days ago the presafe went off in traffic, the car in front was going slower than I was and it probably thought an impact was coming. That was 1200 miles ago, so not sure that is the issue. I also noticed the front right sensor was illuminated on the dash erroneously, It thought that there was an obstacle I was about to hit, even though there was nothing.
Batteries were disconnected for 10 hours
The dash voltage display shows 12.5v and 9.x for A and B, Does anyone know what the A and B designation is in the diagnostic display?

The error codes are:
Parking Brake, see operators manual
DSC inoperative
Cruise Control inoperative
Blind Spot assist inoperative
All the dash lights are lit

My cheap OBD reader has no codes, not surprisingly.

One note is that the dash lights for the sensors, below stay lit, the front right side, makes me think that the front right sensor is bad? Do the lights correspond to the front right and side right sensor? I think I may be on to something here, if I swap the Left and Right ones, perhaps the lights swap sides?

Old 08-26-2024, 09:50 AM

GL 450
To follow up on this. After four days it appears to have dried out, the errors went away when I started the car up. There were supposedly 28 codes saved, the only one we saw was for Implausible Data, 12100, 42700 and 41500. Also some communication codes around the CAN signal. It was fine for a day or so, then the Presafe warning came on and when I restarted it the code was gone. I am hopping it was just water in the system somewhere.
Old 08-27-2024, 09:14 AM

GL 450
It's back

I found another board post that disconnecting the front radar sensors fixed theirs. I am going to give that a try. It seems to me the right front sensors are acting up, by the leds on the dash.

Originally Posted by silvergl
To follow up on this. After four days it appears to have dried out, the errors went away when I started the car up. There were supposedly 28 codes saved, the only one we saw was for Implausible Data, 12100, 42700 and 41500. Also some communication codes around the CAN signal. It was fine for a day or so, then the Presafe warning came on and when I restarted it the code was gone. I am hopping it was just water in the system somewhere.
Old 09-04-2024, 08:38 PM

GL 450
Just to close the loop on this, I took it City Auto in Hightstown NJ, cleared the codes, there were many of them, most related to communication and ABS errors. They were able to clear them and all seems to be in good order.