GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Missing Command manual?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 09:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
GL350
Missing Command manual?

I just noticed that I did not get a separate book for the Command operator's manual with my 2014 GL350 and am wondering if I should have. The general Operator's Manual contains a section on the Command system, but MBUSA.com has a download for a separate 2014 Command Manual. My dealer says that he checked another GL they had on the lot and it also didn't have a separate Command manual.

If other 2014 GL owners will let me know if they got a separate Command Manual, it will be helpful. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I think both manuals have been consolidated for the GL - if not you can download the separate 2014 COMAND manual good for all models from mbusa.com Owner's Section.

Keep the beat !
Old 09-21-2013, 01:42 AM

GL350
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
I think both manuals have been consolidated for the GL - if not you can download the separate 2014 COMAND manual good for all models from mbusa.com Owner's Section.

Keep the beat !
I saw that there is a separate Command manual on MBUSA.COM. That's mostly the reason I'm inquiring about whether I should have received a separate Command manual with the general Owner's manual.

Sure, I can always print out a copy from the website, but that's pretty cumbersome...I think there are 200 or so pages... and it's more difficult to keep an unbound sheath of letter size pages in the car even if they are held together by a folder than it is to keep a smaller book. Nonetheless, that's what I'll do if I confirm that there is no paper Command manual from MB.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL450
Originally Posted by Dog hauler
I saw that there is a separate Command manual on MBUSA.COM. That's mostly the reason I'm inquiring about whether I should have received a separate Command manual with the general Owner's manual.

Sure, I can always print out a copy from the website, but that's pretty cumbersome...I think there are 200 or so pages... and it's more difficult to keep an unbound sheath of letter size pages in the car even if they are held together by a folder than it is to keep a smaller book. Nonetheless, that's what I'll do if I confirm that there is no paper Command manual from MB.

There is a hard copy of the COMAND manual, at least for the 2013 GL450. But I had to request for it from the dealership after I had found out that it wasn't normally included in the portfolio kit.

And it should be free.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 GL450
I checked and mine also didn't have a separate Comand manual. Seems that's how it is on the 14s.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
There is no hard copy COMAND manual in the factory portfolio pack - there is a "short section" in the Operator's Manual - more explanation in the integrated Operator's Manaul in COMAND (I understand the mind bending on that).

By no means am I suggesting you download and "print" the pdf copy of Owner's Support - I was assuming one might be smart and download and "save" the pdf - since the pdf is searchable by word/phrase - and certainly easier to manuver thru than a 280 some odd page paper manual..

If you want to challenge your dealer for a printed copy - have at it - as compared to the useability of the pdf - that's ego.

It's been 4 weeks since mbusa.com updated/added the 2014 COMAND pdf copy - which had been unintentionally overlooked until other owner's pointed that omission on this board - and got that fixed.

Not hassling you - just putting facts in order as best I can for you.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:36 PM

2013 GL450
There is no hard copy COMAND manual in the factory portfolio pack - there is a "short section" in the Operator's Manual - more explanation in the integrated Operator's Manaul in COMAND (I understand the mind bending on that).

By no means am I suggesting you download and "print" the pdf copy of Owner's Support - I was assuming one might be smart and download and "save" the pdf - since the pdf is searchable by word/phrase - and certainly easier to manuver thru than a 280 some odd page paper manual..

If you want to challenge your dealer for a printed copy - have at it - as compared to the useability of the pdf - that's ego.

It's been 4 weeks since mbusa.com updated/added the 2014 COMAND pdf copy - which had been unintentionally overlooked until other owner's pointed that omission on this board - and got that fixed.

Not hassling you - just putting facts in order as best I can for you.

Again just for reiteration, a hard copy of the COMAND manual is available but is not normally included in the portfolio kit UNLESS you've requested it. As a matter of fact, the MY2013 GL450 COMAND manual that I have has the same cover photo (center console pic) as the MY2014 COMAND manual and with 'Edition B 2013' printed on the back as opposed to 'Edition A 2013' that you see online for the MY2013.

I have the COMAND manual per se and the PDF as well and I'm just trying to help the OP on how to get his own real book, that is, ask the dealer politely. It will not hurt trying.

Last edited by reddcer; 09-22-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:06 PM

GL350

I'm smart enough to download the pdf and already did so. But for me, the easiest way to learn is to sit in the car with a copy of the printed manual in my lap so I can execute instructions as I read. And the easiest way for me to have a printed manual in my lap is to have the factory book.

Not sure what you meant by printed copy vs. pdf being an ego thing.

Last edited by Dog hauler; 09-22-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:08 PM

GL350
Originally Posted by reddcer
Again just for reiteration, a hard copy of the COMAND manual is available but is not normally included in the portfolio kit UNLESS you've requested it. As a matter of fact, the MY2013 GL450 COMAND manual that I have has the same cover photo (center console pic) as the MY2014 COMAND manual and with 'Edition B 2013' printed on the back as opposed to 'Edition A 2013' that you see online for the MY2013.

I have the COMAND manual per se and the PDF as well and I'm just trying to help the OP on how to get his own real book, that is, ask the dealer politely. It will not hurt trying.
So you have a 2014 Command manual or at least saw one? Sounds like it. I'll contact my dealer again and see if they'll get one for me. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:37 PM

2013 GL450
Originally Posted by Dog hauler
So you have a 2014 Command manual or at least saw one? Sounds like it. I'll contact my dealer again and see if they'll get one for me. Thanks.
What I have is the MY2013 COMAND manual Edition B 2013. It has the same cover photo as the MY2014, hence, I am pretty sure you could also get your own book. I suggest that you convey your request to the Parts Department other than the SA.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GL550, 2015 Ghibli S4
The COMAND manual in my 2014 GL has been downloaded into the COMAND module itself. Look under the globe at the top right of your COMAND main screen and find "operator's manual."