GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

2013 GL450 Navigation Update???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL450
2013 GL450 Navigation Update???

Just got an email suggesting a $250 update for my navigation system. What do you guys do regarding this? It showed what appeared to be a DVD in the picture. It says to go to the dealer. Who has done this and are there any options? I do believe in keeping my system up-to-date.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
I also just got this e-mail.

Just couple weeks ago I needed to find Wall mart to buy ADBLUE fluid for my E bluetec. I googled it at work on my computer, got the address and e-mailed it to myself to see it on my IPhone. After work I entered this address on my 2013 GL navigation and this freaking thing could not find it.
I took my IPhone, pressed the address in the e-mail and my MapQuest app got it in 3 seconds, showing me in details how to get there.

Now somebody tell me - do I need to pay to MB $250 for the things my IPhone does for free ?
Old 10-28-2013, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
The Nav system is based on NavTeq database - which is overall good - however the DVD cost is $250 from MB - same price as NavTeq DVD's for their non-brand systems.

So you know, NavTeq DVD is updated ongoing monthly - so "smart" dealers don't keep them in stock - and order as needed assuring you of the most updated "month" within the past 40 days if shipped in.

Woould I update at 1yr - not necessarily - depending on local neighborhood expansion/new streets in your area - remember you can download specific addresses thru the app to your Nav - or thru mBrace customer service if you maintain premium mBrace plan.

Keep the beat !
Old 10-29-2013, 05:22 PM

2013 GL450
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1

Woould I update at 1yr - not necessarily - depending on local neighborhood expansion/new streets in your area - remember you can download specific addresses thru the app to your Nav - or thru mBrace customer service if you maintain premium mBrace plan.

Keep the beat !
I don't plan to do the update at this point. And I typically load my destinations from google maps. Thanks for the advice. I did call the dealership and the version number they gave me had nothing to do with what comes up when you bring up the version information on the COMAND system. So, I am going to have to investigate how to order the latest when the time comes.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
The Nav system is based on NavTeq database - which is overall good - however the DVD cost is $250 from MB - same price as NavTeq DVD's for their non-brand systems.

So you know, NavTeq DVD is updated ongoing monthly - so "smart" dealers don't keep them in stock - and order as needed assuring you of the most updated "month" within the past 40 days if shipped in.

Keep the beat !
"Woould I update at 1yr - not necessarily"

Best advice!
Old 09-03-2014, 04:26 PM

13' GL450
Originally Posted by Steve Maislin
Just got an email suggesting a $250 update for my navigation system. What do you guys do regarding this? It showed what appeared to be a DVD in the picture. It says to go to the dealer. Who has done this and are there any options? I do believe in keeping my system up-to-date.
Do you have the Part No? I am thinking of getting one off ebay and might share here as well.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:35 PM

2013 GL450
Originally Posted by rathna
Do you have the Part No? I am thinking of getting one off ebay and might share here as well.
Got another email this month, but the dealer does not know anything about an update. This is the thread I started a long time ago. I am going to sit tight on these updates.

Trending Topics

Old 09-03-2014, 04:48 PM

13' GL450
Originally Posted by Steve Maislin
Got another email this month, but the dealer does not know anything about an update. This is the thread I started a long time ago. I am going to sit tight on these updates.
okay. does the email take you to any link or something? My house is disconnected on the map right now and I am looking to get it on the map! lol.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:34 PM

2013 GL450
Originally Posted by rathna
okay. does the email take you to any link or something? My house is disconnected on the map right now and I am looking to get it on the map! lol.
Nope, just says to call your dealer. Very little information and nothing as to the actual value of acquiring the update. No way to know if there are really changes that would make it any better at your local geography.