GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

HID Retro kit for 2013 GL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Originally Posted by Mstyle76
It's just weird because when I asked retrofit they said they have reported issues with the 2013 GL and they haven't heard any of the kits working with no issues. They basically said it would't work properly. Now I know you have a X164 GL but I would assume the wiring is the same.
I need to ask what type of resistors do you have to make it work with no "flickering" issues. I have the Retrofit ones with the canbus and the cancelers but it still flickers especially during dusk and in traffic or whenever the brake is applied.

Please let me know as it's just weird that there isn't an alternative solution. I almost feel like trading in the GL with one that has it.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML350
I'm using Hylux aftermarket HID in my W166. You can buy it on eBay not many sellers carry it because it is more expensive than normal kit. I use it because they used to contract with Phillps to make HID kit for them. For around $100 well worth it.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:19 AM

GL450
Originally Posted by zoomx2ian
I'm using Hylux aftermarket HID in my W166. You can buy it on eBay not many sellers carry it because it is more expensive than normal kit. I use it because they used to contract with Phillps to make HID kit for them. For around $100 well worth it.
Do you have any flickering issues? Do you have it an Auto? What is your setup like?
Old 12-26-2013, 12:21 AM

GL450
Do you have any flickering issues? Do you have it an Auto? What is your setup like?
Just looked it up...it's from China. What is the site? Doesn't sound right to me...
Old 12-26-2013, 01:57 AM

ML350
Most of ballasts are made in China same as retrofit source as well. I don't see any things wrong with it. I have no flicker issue. No relay harness, no resistor I don't want to use resistor because of heat since I stuck all into headlight housing. It happened once bulb out warning on in Auto. Now I just leave it ON, I live in Canada I need DRL anyway. I ordered mine from eBay
Very good light output the bulb they use from CN light same bulbs you bought from retrofit source. I just suggest you try it. You can buy the ballasts only to save some money.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:00 AM

GL450
Most of ballasts are made in China same as retrofit source as well. I don't see any things wrong with it. I have no flicker issue. No relay harness, no resistor I don't want to use resistor because of heat since I stuck all into headlight housing. It happened once bulb out warning on in Auto. Now I just leave it ON, I live in Canada I need DRL anyway. I ordered mine from eBay
Very good light output the bulb they use from CN light same bulbs you bought from retrofit source. I just suggest you try it. You can buy the ballasts only to save some money.
What was the outcome when you left it in "AUTO" any issues during dusk or in traffic with it flickering even on the "ON" mode? I know you leave them on the "ON" setting but I would want to use it like an "OEM" is.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:30 AM

ML350
No flickering at all any time. Bulb out warning light on once in dusk that's why I leave it ON.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:20 AM

GL450
No flickering at all any time. Bulb out warning light on once in dusk that's why I leave it ON.
Do you happen to have the seller's user name or a link to who you purchased it from. I searched the Hylux brand and found several and not sure which one is legit.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:31 AM

ML350
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAN-BUS-H7-4300K-Germany-ASIC-chip-slim-HYLUX-Xenon-HID-conversion-kit-/380475267512?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item589617d9b8&vxp=mtr
I bought mine from this seller. You can just buy the ballasts only to use your existing bulbs. I have 4300k, 5000k, and 6000k bulbs. 5000k just perfect color pure white best output in case you order a kit.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:40 PM

GL450
Can Bus H7 4300K Germany Asic Chip Slim Hylux Xenon HID Conversion Kit | eBay

I bought mine from this seller. You can just buy the ballasts only to use your existing bulbs. I have 4300k, 5000k, and 6000k bulbs. 5000k just perfect color pure white best output in case you order a kit.
So, I e-mailed RetroFit Solutions about the HYLUX Ballast and ironically they are getting in a NEW Generation Ballast next week with the ASIC Chip. I am waiting until then to try it out and see the status. I should receive it within 2 weeks, I will let you know the outcome as an alternative to this solution.

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-12-2014, 10:40 PM

2014 GL350 Bluetec
Mstyle76,
Any success yet? I'm also trying to decide on a kit for my 2014 GL350
Old 03-08-2014, 12:19 PM

2014 GL350 Bluetec
OK, I contacted TRS about our 2014 GL350 Bluetec (X166) in regards to their new ASIC chip 2014 Morimoto ballasts and they report no resolution. They couldn't tell me if they had even tried it in a 2014 GL. So today I pulled the USP Motorsports VW Canbus HID

( http://www.uspmotorsports.com/MK6/B7...ersionKit.html )

out of my 2011 VW and hooked it up to the GL and it fired up with the switch in "Auto and On" positions without LED flickering. I haven't gotten the H7 bulb adaptors so I haven't had a chance to drive around yet.

The ballasts are Hylux or Hyluxtek with the little clear window and the visible chip (ASIC chip) as described on the Hyluxtek.com website as genuine vs "fake"

http://www.hyluxtek.com/newEbiz1/Ebi...ff98f33e1ff472
Old 03-13-2014, 11:28 PM

GL450
So, unfortunately i thought I had a winner..but nothing yet, it still flickers after a couple of hours. I must say, TRS though has the BEST customer service "HANDS DOWN". They have been dealing with me returning several things and e-mailing questions about the configuration. They just have been great to deal with, unfortunately just not working. It works fine in "park" when I start to drive between 5 mph and 45 mph it starts to flicker both in the ON and AUTO positions.

I also tried to call my MB Dealer to ask about programming it to a HID headlamps if I pay for the configuration and they said absolutely not. So that's out of the question. For some reason the X166 is quirky with their electrical work.

Let me know if you have anything.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:32 PM

GL450
So, unfortunately i thought I had a winner..but nothing yet, it still flickers after a couple of hours. I must say, TRS though has the BEST customer service "HANDS DOWN". They have been dealing with me returning several things and e-mailing questions about the configuration. They just have been great to deal with, unfortunately just not working. It works fine in "park" when I start to drive between 5 mph and 45 mph it starts to flicker both in the ON and AUTO positions.

I also tried to call my MB Dealer to ask about programming it to a HID headlamps if I pay for the configuration and they said absolutely not. So that's out of the question. For some reason the X166 is quirky with their electrical work.

Let me know if you have anything.
I'm going to try to order that one off eBay to see how that goes.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:57 PM

GL450
Originally Posted by Henn
Mstyle76,
Any success yet? I'm also trying to decide on a kit for my 2014 GL350

Got it!! So far so good...no flickering at all...so this is what I did. I purchased the Hylux Ballast Only from eBay (above link) and used the TRS 5k bulbs and works perfectly...no flickering at all.

I will report back in a few days to give the "dusk" changeover report but I changed them at the dusk from daylight to darkness and out and no issues so far. Hopefully it works 100% as this will be great!
Old 06-17-2014, 11:02 PM

GL450
So far so good...had a slight flicker once when I was in traffic while it was dusk and raining out and switched it to "on" position and back to "auto". Success so far.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:38 AM

2014 GL350 Bluetec
thanks Mstyle76, I also installed the kit I mentioned from USP motorsports after I read that you had done it. I just hadn't got around to doing it until I read your post. Essentially the Hilux CanBus ballasts and it works great. Haven't notice flickering at all. I got the 6000k bulbs as I thought it would match the LED DRLs better but the 6000k HID bulbs make the LEDs look yellow. Unfortunately USPMotorsports only has 4300K or 6000K bulbs. The 6000k bulbs also don't seen to produce as much visible light as my 5000K bulbs on my VW TDI. They seem too blue. Mstyle, how do you like your 5000K bulbs from TRS.

Last edited by Henn; 06-19-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:27 PM

GL450
Originally Posted by Henn
thanks Mstyle76, I also installed the kit I mentioned from USP motorsports after I read that you had done it. I just hadn't got around to doing it until I read your post. Essentially the Hilux CanBus ballasts and it works great. Haven't notice flickering at all. I got the 6000k bulbs as I thought it would match the LED DRLs better but the 6000k HID bulbs make the LEDs look yellow. Unfortunately USPMotorsports only has 4300K or 6000K bulbs. The 6000k bulbs also don't seen to produce as much visible light as my 5000K bulbs on my VW TDI. They seem too blue. Mstyle, how do you like your 5000K bulbs from TRS.
Sounds great! Glad it's working for you. The 5ks from TRS are awesome they look OEM even next to my A6 LEDs both light output (not exactly like the LEDs but close) and the color. I would recommend them but get the "higher" end model which is like $20 extra I believe
Old 06-22-2014, 02:21 AM

Gl450
Hi mstyle can u send me the link for all the parts I need to turn my 2013 gl450 to HID. I am newbie can u teach me the instruction for DIY . Thanks!
Sounds great! Glad it's working for you. The 5ks from TRS are awesome they look OEM even next to my A6 LEDs both light output (not exactly like the LEDs but close) and the color. I would recommend them but get the "higher" end model which is like $20 extra I believe
Old 06-24-2014, 11:34 PM

GL450
Originally Posted by Winston0122
Hi mstyle can u send me the link for all the parts I need to turn my 2013 gl450 to HID. I am newbie can u teach me the instruction for DIY . Thanks!
Sure..i bought my ballast from this on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAN-BUS-H7-4300K-Germany-ASIC-chip-slim-HYLUX-Xenon-HID-conversion-kit-/380475267512?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item589617d9b8&vxp=mtr
I suggest you go to retrofitsource.com and purchase the 5k bulbs. I basically used two manufacturers (the above for the ballast) and (retrofit for the bulbs).

It's fairly easy plug and play and you just remove the headlight and the metal piece on the plug in and squeeze it on the bulb from retrofit source and replace back in the housing and stuff the ballast and wires into the headlight housing and close it up. The install literally will take you maybe 40 mins total from start to finish.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:58 PM

13' GL450
Hi Mstyle, couple of questions:
1. when you mention remove the headlight, are you talking about removing the plastic cover on the side of the headlight inside the hood or did you have to remove the plastic tab under the wheel and reach from there?
2. do you have the link to the ballast? dont we need the can-bus ballast that is connected to the ballast in the above ebay link that you posted?
3. can you please share the link to the 5K bulb to TRS as well?

thank you in advance!
Old 12-17-2014, 12:53 PM

ML350
thank you mstyle76, lots of useful information from this topic.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:13 PM

2013 GL450
Driver's Side Shadow w/ HID Conversion Kit Installed

Thank you Henn & Mstyle76. This discussion just helped me install a Hylux kit from USP & XB35 5500ks from TRS w/ retainer clips from ijdmtoy. Your information was spot on. The hardest thing was to manipulate/bend the clips to securely hold/lock the bulbs to keep them from vibrating while driving.

Only issue I'm having is that I'm getting an annoying shadow on the drivers side. I believe it is due to retaining clips and the position it forces you to rotate the bulbs. Both bulbs cast a shadow between the 7 & 8 o'clock position. However only the driver's side is noticeable because the light from the drivers side fills in the shadow from the passenger side.

Not sure if you guys are anyone else out there has the same issue and was able to remedy it somehow.

I checked the stock retainer clips and they are identical so I think the aftermarket clips were also produced to be identical as well. If the aftermarket clips could be produced as mirror images of each other, possibly the return wire shadow issue would be negated.

Input from anyone out there is greatly appreciated. I'm thinking about modifying the driver's side retainer clip so that I can flip the bulb upside down @ this point, but before I do that, wanted to see what others have done. I also might possibly cut out another grove on the bulb because the notch might be required to stop rotation and lock bulb into place.

Thanks!

Last edited by fooWagon; 12-26-2014 at 11:17 PM. Reason: miss spell
Old 12-27-2014, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,065 Likes on 854 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Sounds like you have your bulb out of position. Just keep trying until you get it right. It is a bear even with the stock H7 bulbs.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:26 PM

ML350
Smile

Originally Posted by fooWagon
Thank you Henn & Mstyle76. This discussion just helped me install a Hylux kit from USP & XB35 5500ks from TRS w/ retainer clips from ijdmtoy. Your information was spot on. The hardest thing was to manipulate/bend the clips to securely hold/lock the bulbs to keep them from vibrating while driving.

Only issue I'm having is that I'm getting an annoying shadow on the drivers side. I believe it is due to retaining clips and the position it forces you to rotate the bulbs. Both bulbs cast a shadow between the 7 & 8 o'clock position. However only the driver's side is noticeable because the light from the drivers side fills in the shadow from the passenger side.

Not sure if you guys are anyone else out there has the same issue and was able to remedy it somehow.

I checked the stock retainer clips and they are identical so I think the aftermarket clips were also produced to be identical as well. If the aftermarket clips could be produced as mirror images of each other, possibly the return wire shadow issue would be negated.

Input from anyone out there is greatly appreciated. I'm thinking about modifying the driver's side retainer clip so that I can flip the bulb upside down @ this point, but before I do that, wanted to see what others have done. I also might possibly cut out another grove on the bulb because the notch might be required to stop rotation and lock bulb into place.

Thanks!
Your bulb may off position, try to adjust it until you feel comfortable, even when i changed OEM H7 at dealership they didn't position it right and i tried several times to adjust it right.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HID Retro kit for 2013 GL