GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

To Distronic or Not to Distronic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2013 | 08:09 PM

2014 GL350 , 2010 Accord V6, 40' Monaco Dynasty RV, 1971 VW Convertable
To Distronic or Not to Distronic

One final decision before our Yellow turns to Red. GL350
Distronic:

? So lets say I'm following a vehicle and someone cuts in front of me it will back off to its safe distance.
So lets say I want to close the gap to say 2 car lengths distance will it let me, or the gas pedal does not work does it all of a sudden start braking.

What other weird questions could I ask that I haven't .

MORE IMPORTANTLY!!!!!!!!!!!

How does it work when I'm pulling my 6200lb boat. I usual follow safely behind a vehicle but if someone cuts in from of me will it SLAM on the brakes with my big payload.
Old 11-10-2013 | 10:39 PM

18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
I have 200 miles on my new GL63 ...and at first I didn't care for it... But after using it on the highway at 80 and 45 mph on country roads.... Can't imagine how I lived without it.

When you give it the gas to maneuver around cars in three lane traffic...it will suspend (not sure the cue for it to reinstate...but it works well) you can adjust how far between the next car... The closer you are... The more abrupt the brake application is as you don't leave that much space for the car to react in.

And yes... If someone cuts you off... It will apply brakes aggressively to put space between you... Just as you probably would do in real life....I suspect that the system would work fine for pulling a boat too.

I also have active lane assist.... Not really a fan... Maybe I'm a bit of a sloppy driver but it's braking and pushing you back to the center of your lane can be annoying
Old 11-10-2013 | 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
Originally Posted by a330captain
One final decision before our Yellow turns to Red. GL350
Distronic:

? So lets say I'm following a vehicle and someone cuts in front of me it will back off to its safe distance.
So lets say I want to close the gap to say 2 car lengths distance will it let me, or the gas pedal does not work does it all of a sudden start braking.

What other weird questions could I ask that I haven't .

MORE IMPORTANTLY!!!!!!!!!!!

How does it work when I'm pulling my 6200lb boat. I usual follow safely behind a vehicle but if someone cuts in from of me will it SLAM on the brakes with my big payload.
you can increase speed while distronic is on, when you let go of the gas pedal it will slowly go back to the desired speed however when you brake distronic turns off and you have to turn it on again.
Old 11-11-2013 | 09:19 PM

GL350
I wouldn't buy Distronic if I had it to do all over again. In light traffic, it's great. When there is more traffic than that, however, it's very annoying. Every time someone changes into your lane, the Distronic brakes to maintain the preset distance (as it's supposed to do). That true even when the car ahead is moving faster than you such that if you were controlling the throttle, you would never brake or even lift off the throttle.

Unfortunately, that makes for a somewhat abrupt and jerky ride that just isn't comfortable. If I was a passenger in a car and the driver was as abrupt as the Distronic, I'd suggest to the driver that he/she take the bus next time.

On the other hand, the Distronic is pretty nice in stop and go traffic. Again, it's not very smooth, but it takes some of the drudgery out of rush hour traffic so that's a trade off some may be willing to make.

I tow a fair amount with a trailer and load that is about 5000 lbs. The Distronic works just fine, if not very smoothly, to start up and stop with traffic. You still must steer, of course, but the car does all the braking and acceleration by itself.
Old 11-12-2013 | 11:27 AM

2014 GL 350
I love Distronic! I find it to be very well done. It gives me a sense of security as well when it is engaged.

Sometimes, you can get very used to it and forget that the car will not stop at a red light when there is no cards ahead or you.