GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

GL350 non-wood trim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL350
GL350 non-wood trim

Looking to order a 350 and i don't like wood grain trim. I've spent many hours on this forum, with dealer and general web to find a non-wood option other than black piano trim. Any suggestions on other options, I don't like 2 things about the black piano 1) too shinny, 2) the price. I'm going with all black interior so i want the trim to just "blend".

At 1 point I thought there was a Black ash that i could live with, that had a small amount of wood grain but wasn't too obvious but dealer is telling me i can't order it on a GL.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 808 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
My best recommendation to you is this - order Black Leather - make sure you order MB-Tex wrapped lower dash - then your "best" choice is to order Anthracite Poplar - also get the Wood/Leather wheel - you will be fine - the "grain" is very sophisticated - that is the best option for you based on your comments - period.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:22 PM

GL350
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
My best recommendation to you is this - order Black Leather - make sure you order MB-Tex wrapped lower dash - then your "best" choice is to order Anthracite Poplar - also get the Wood/Leather wheel - you will be fine - the "grain" is very sophisticated - that is the best option for you based on your comments - period.
aligned on your 1st 2 suggestions.

Dealer said you can't even pop those trim pieces off and replace, that on the doors you must replace the whole door panel, any truth to this? I'm thinking i pop off whatever is on there and pay somebody to reproduce it or 'cover it' with some other paint or material. At $120 option wonder if i can order an extra set to paint.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
i agree w/ Fab too - anthracite poplar is the way to go. i have the black leather interior w/ the anthracite and it's very understated and not wood grainy 95% of the time. only when the sun hits it can you see the grain and even then it's quite beautiful. the other times it looks like glossy piano black.

i don't remember how much it costs now but always better to add it on to the order b/c that is probably 10% of the cost vs trying to pop off and replace pieces later ...
Old 12-05-2013, 11:27 PM

GL63
I have black interior and I'm thinking to replace the standard walnut trim as well. I prefer the factory poplar wood but I heard it's too expensive. So I'm considering just wrap the wood with carbon vinyl instead of replacing them. Its something look like this and very cheap to do.

Could anyone please enlighten how easy/hard to remove all the wood pieces(dash and all four doors) in the car? What do I need to be careful with when doing so?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 808 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Let me be clear - the wood trim is not at all user removable - and replacement wood trim pieces are all special order - like for replacement of accident damaged vehicles - and way pricey as replacements.

Someone might choose to have a interior custom guy do a overlay vinyl wrap of the wood trim pieces - frankly that direction is not my thing - but to each it's own.

I think the anthracite poplar ML/GL is a elegant and sophisticated look - especially with the wood/leather wheel to make the cabin trim "pop".
Old 12-18-2013, 04:16 PM

GL350
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
I went with Anthracite Poplar, thanks everybody for the feedback.