GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

GL63 /Scorpion winter review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 02:38 PM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
GL63 /Scorpion winter review

I finally had a chance to take the rig out in the snow and icy roads with the new 21 Pirelli Winter Scorpion tires.

a little history... I've had an E500 wagon with dedicated snows and a 08 GL550 with dedicated 20 inch ML63 wheel/ snow tire combo. Both using the Dunlop winter sport 3D. I can say that that tire is unbelievable in its dry / wet/ ice/ and snow performance... all without sacrificing normal performance tire dry feel/ performance/ and comfort. I can honestly say that with the 20 inch Dunlops I could not hardly tell the difference from the 21 Contis on the GL550. The Dunlop 3Ds have pulled me through 16 inches of snow without ever giving issue.

I recently took delivery of my new GL63 with Conti sport tires on it... I have made comments on the forum about how bad the car was with just a dusting of snow... I mean undriveable!

The GL63 has a locked torque split of 40/60. Whereas a standard GL550/450/350 4matic can send almost all the power to which ever wheel needs it... the AMG again is locked .. so it isn't as sophisticated and this is done to deal with the extra power that the AMG puts to the power train.

With the installation of the 21 inch Pirelli Winter Scorpion tires... the car has been transformed into a snow monster for sure!

Whereas the old GL550 with the snow tires would handle any snow and "PULL" you where you were trying to go.. the Gl63 feels like a STI rally car or drift car.. it pushes you in the direction you want to go.. the car handles like a dirt track racer.... it is fabulous.

the Winter Scorpions are fantastic winter tires and for the short time I've had them on feel just as good as the Conti OEM summer tires... (under normal driving conditions)

I don't think the width is a problem (some people recommend going to at 20inch tire that is a little thinner...) The real bummer is that Tire Rack is sold out of this tire for the season... You might be able to try a vendor in Canada.. I would not buy the winter carving ice... that is an old design and will not perform like the Scorpion Winter

stay warm and out of the ditch!
Attached Thumbnails GL63 /Scorpion winter review-wp_20140103_007.jpg  
Old 01-04-2014, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL63
Can I ask how much you paid per tyre? I can get hold of the Winter Scorpions, but they are 650 dollars each at the one vendor I can find in the UK!

Also do any of you snow bound folk use snow chains at all, the manual says you shouldn't on the GL63.

And same question for snow socks.

Cheers

Jon
Old 01-04-2014, 07:50 AM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
I paid something like $583 Canadian for 2 tires, $89 shipping and another $50 in duties... The 2 tires from tirerack were less than $400 each.

I wouldn't consider chains at all and have had no experience with the sock.

You should consider two sets of wheels and tires anyway. If I'm not mistaken..a summer rated tire loses a good percentage of its traction capabilities at colder and wet temperatures.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL63
The trouble with the UK weather is that it never gets cold enough so that everyone buys winter tyres, and never gets hot enough to justify fitting AC to your house.

Therefore we end up with an uncomfortable month or so in the summer and carnage on the roads for a couple of weeks in the winter, then it's all back to boring mildness.

My answer to the two week snow challenge is to leave the GL on the drive and use the wifes Mini Countryman ALL4 for which I do have a set of winter wheels and tyres. They only cost 200 dollars each, 1/3 the cost of the scorpions. The Mini is fantastic in the snow so no worries.

I was interested to see how much cheaper the tyres are in the USA, and no surprises the gap is quite large!