GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Questions on Distronic, Lane Keeping Assist, Blind Spot

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota 4Runner
Questions on Distronic, Lane Keeping Assist, Blind Spot

Hey everyone,
I’m in the market for a good and fairly new 3-Row SUV. The last car I bought has remained with me for a long time (been driving a ’97 4Runner Limited for 17 yrs and 295K miles) and I’m hoping the next one will also… thus am seriously considering the value/worth of my two current options: I’m considering a CPO 2013 GL450 with Distronic Plus and Active Lane Keeping Assist (both part of the Driver Assist Pkg) and Blind Spot Assist, but wasn’t sure how good MB is with these features compared to Acura’s 2014 MDX with Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS), and Blind Spot Information options.
Here’s a demo video for MB’s Lane Keeping Assist via E-class:

Here’s a couple of demo videos for Acura’s ACC and LKAS via RDX/RLX:
and

Of the above features, here are what I’ve come to understand:
Distronic Plus vs ACC: An Acura MDX with ACC will be active once speed is set between 20-95mph (ref: Acura website). For a MB, I’ve been told various speeds (18 mph, 40 mph, 55 mph) of when Distronic Plus is activated (anybody know the correct?). An MDX with ACC enabled can apparently automatically self-brake to a complete stop if need (i.e., driver didn’t brake at all or not enough) (ref: Acura website). A MB with Distronic and Brake Assist will assist braking to reduce collision impact, but may not actually automatically self-brake to a complete halt (i.e., it requires human braking) (ref: MB website). Differences: Activation speeds of MB: 18/40/55 mph vs Acura: 20+ mph and complete braking vs braking assist. (question: can the MB’s Distronic/Brake assist actually provide auto self-braking to a complete stop, especially if the driver didn’t apply any braking?)
Lane Keeping Assist: A MB with Lane Keeping Assist will help detect unintended drifting by alerting the driver via vibrating the steering wheel as well as automatically applying the brake to a single rear wheel as need to help guide the car back into its lane (ref: MB website and Youtube video demos). An Acura with LKAS will slightly tug the wheel and automatically guide the car to the center of the lane (ref: Acura website and Youtube video). Difference: MB’s Lane Keeping Assist via opposite/rear braking vs Acura’s auto-corrective steering function. (question: does MB’s version also have auto-corrective steering? Which is better, LKA via autocorrective steering or braking?)

Blind Spot Detection: For MB, blind spot indicators/warning activate when traveling above approximately 20+ mph (ref: MB website). For MDX, blind spot indicators/warning activate when traveling 6+ mph (Acura website). Difference: activation speeds.

What are people’s thoughts on the effectiveness of the above features in the 2013-2014 MB GL class vs 2014 Acura MDX? Some specific questions I have are:
Are the differences in the activation speeds (for Distronic/ACC, Blind Spot warning) a big issue?
What’s the effectiveness of each MB or Acura? (e.g., one works with solid lanes only and the other in both solid/dotted lines Is LKAS better via auto-braking or auto-steering correction)
Which manufacturer’s feature above is thought to be more reliable than the other?
Where is the above understanding correct and incorrect (clarification welcome)?
Are the above capabilities even good enough that they’re worth purchasing the associated packages? (or are the feature not quite ready/mature yet?)
Are there other references on the above for clarification? (more MB info would be great actually)

I really want the GL and am willing to pay the extra as long as I can understand the above feature better with higher confidence in the value (i.e., it is just as good or better than the Acura’s in terms of the above features [for other areas, no question that MB is higher in quality/luxury]).
Thanks so much for reading and thanks in advance for any info and insight you can provide for a prospective buyer.
-Tony
Old 01-23-2014, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by tsk_2980
Hey everyone,
I’m in the market for a good and fairly new 3-Row SUV. The last car I bought has remained with me for a long time (been driving a ’97 4Runner Limited for 17 yrs and 295K miles) and I’m hoping the next one will also… thus am seriously considering the value/worth of my two current options: I’m considering a CPO 2013 GL450 with Distronic Plus and Active Lane Keeping Assist (both part of the Driver Assist Pkg) and Blind Spot Assist, but wasn’t sure how good MB is with these features compared to Acura’s 2014 MDX with Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS), and Blind Spot Information options.
Here’s a demo video for MB’s Lane Keeping Assist via E-class: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VSSHpvUOWA
Here’s a couple of demo videos for Acura’s ACC and LKAS via RDX/RLX: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdJryr0ZWKg and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef0KRWJwA2Q

Of the above features, here are what I’ve come to understand:
Distronic Plus vs ACC: An Acura MDX with ACC will be active once speed is set between 20-95mph (ref: Acura website). For a MB, I’ve been told various speeds (18 mph, 40 mph, 55 mph) of when Distronic Plus is activated (anybody know the correct?). An MDX with ACC enabled can apparently automatically self-brake to a complete stop if need (i.e., driver didn’t brake at all or not enough) (ref: Acura website). A MB with Distronic and Brake Assist will assist braking to reduce collision impact, but may not actually automatically self-brake to a complete halt (i.e., it requires human braking) (ref: MB website). Differences: Activation speeds of MB: 18/40/55 mph vs Acura: 20+ mph and complete braking vs braking assist. (question: can the MB’s Distronic/Brake assist actually provide auto self-braking to a complete stop, especially if the driver didn’t apply any braking?)
Lane Keeping Assist: A MB with Lane Keeping Assist will help detect unintended drifting by alerting the driver via vibrating the steering wheel as well as automatically applying the brake to a single rear wheel as need to help guide the car back into its lane (ref: MB website and Youtube video demos). An Acura with LKAS will slightly tug the wheel and automatically guide the car to the center of the lane (ref: Acura website and Youtube video). Difference: MB’s Lane Keeping Assist via opposite/rear braking vs Acura’s auto-corrective steering function. (question: does MB’s version also have auto-corrective steering? Which is better, LKA via autocorrective steering or braking?)

Blind Spot Detection: For MB, blind spot indicators/warning activate when traveling above approximately 20+ mph (ref: MB website). For MDX, blind spot indicators/warning activate when traveling 6+ mph (Acura website). Difference: activation speeds.

What are people’s thoughts on the effectiveness of the above features in the 2013-2014 MB GL class vs 2014 Acura MDX? Some specific questions I have are:
Are the differences in the activation speeds (for Distronic/ACC, Blind Spot warning) a big issue?
What’s the effectiveness of each MB or Acura? (e.g., one works with solid lanes only and the other in both solid/dotted lines Is LKAS better via auto-braking or auto-steering correction)
Which manufacturer’s feature above is thought to be more reliable than the other?
Where is the above understanding correct and incorrect (clarification welcome)?
Are the above capabilities even good enough that they’re worth purchasing the associated packages? (or are the feature not quite ready/mature yet?)
Are there other references on the above for clarification? (more MB info would be great actually)

I really want the GL and am willing to pay the extra as long as I can understand the above feature better with higher confidence in the value (i.e., it is just as good or better than the Acura’s in terms of the above features [for other areas, no question that MB is higher in quality/luxury]).
Thanks so much for reading and thanks in advance for any info and insight you can provide for a prospective buyer.
-Tony
Frankly….. I think you have all the info you need to make your decision….as much as or more than most of us! I have all of those features….they work as advertised within the given limitations. I appreciate what they do and am glad they are there…..that being said, I am always 100% in charge of my vehicle….you can't be less on todays roads. The differences you note between manufactures do exist….so you must choose…..however, whichever you choose the underlying technology is the same.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:10 AM

'14 GL550, '14 BMW 650iX GC MSE
As blittle said, it ultimately comes down to your own personal preference as the underlying technology and functionality is very similar if not identical for these systems across the manufacturers. I've owned cars/SUV's with all of these features from Mercedes, BMW, and Infiniti. Just my personal opinion/experience, but while they've all basically done the same thing I think the Mercedes implementation is the most responsive and "smooth" of them all. With regard to braking, if Distronic Cruise Control is active the car will come to a complete stop if necessary. If cruise control not active, Distronic will engage the "Pre-Safe" braking function if necessary, but that is meant as an accident prevention system and has more of a not-so-smooth emergency engagement when driver not breaking quickly enough or with enough pressure.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:38 AM

2014 GL550, 2007 Audi A6, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I can't compare the systems versus other vehicles, but I was very impressed with the Mercedes version. The first time I ever drove a car with this technology was at Mercedes World outside of London. At one point in the driving experience I went down a long straight and the instructor told me to let go and mash the brakes as hard as they would go. I went from around 70mph to zero quickly and perfectly straight on the wet pavement. It was a very impressive display.
http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/cont...periences.html
Old 01-23-2014, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by jgc650i
As blittle said, it ultimately comes down to your own personal preference as the underlying technology and functionality is very similar if not identical for these systems across the manufacturers. I've owned cars/SUV's with all of these features from Mercedes, BMW, and Infiniti. Just my personal opinion/experience, but while they've all basically done the same thing I think the Mercedes implementation is the most responsive and "smooth" of them all. With regard to braking, if Distronic Cruise Control is active the car will come to a complete stop if necessary. If cruise control not active, Distronic will engage the "Pre-Safe" braking function if necessary, but that is meant as an accident prevention system and has more of a not-so-smooth emergency engagement when driver not breaking quickly enough or with enough pressure.
Exactly!
Old 01-23-2014, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
It's kind of humorous actually... one guess who "makes" the Acura system... since MB's CPO warranty is now mileage unlimited, all the helter skelter aside.. the unlimited mileage cap on the Mercedes CPO should be viewed as impressive ! Be forthright and in depth with the dealer to understand exactly what items are not covered by CPO...

I personally have had hard core Acura customers - systems aside - who are definitely not fans of the "new" MDX..
Old 01-26-2014, 10:34 PM

Toyota 4Runner
Thanks everyone. Is there anything else I may have missed about how the said features work in the '13 GL? Of the lane keeping assist, I wasn't sure if the opposite/rear braking was any good (seems a bit counter intuitive vs corrective steering). Also, I had heard from some that the 2013 GL450 active Lane Keeping Assist does have corrective steering (true at all?). If I can't get Distronic, is the Lane Keeping Assist Package (blind spot warning, Lane Keeping assist) worth it?

So, I was initially considering a '14 MDX Base AWD... but then started considering the safety assist options after thinking about the fact that I'm trying to keep the next car as long as possible and the fact that I have two kids I'd like to keep safe during our many car trips. I figured a used '13 GL450 with nice features (e.g., Premium 1 Pkg, Lane Dep Assist, Parktronics, Appearance, others...) wasn't too much more in cost than a '14 MDX Advance package. Of the difference, a used '13 GL450 is definitely much nicer than the MDX in MANY other typical ways.

My only issues right now is trying to find the CPO gl450 in the target color (Steel Grey), mileage (Under 14K mi), and price range ($60K-$65K) I'm considering. Also, finding a used '14 GL450 with Distronic is apparently hard to come by. I missed out on a couple of opportunities several months ago (didn't quite know what of a GL450 I wanted)... now I do. but since I'm not in a particular rush (the 4Runner keeps ticking somehow), I may just stay patient... keep looking/waiting for that right GL450. But I need to move fast once it comes about.

-T
Old 01-31-2014, 10:15 AM

2014 ML350 BlueTEC
Originally Posted by tsk_2980
Thanks everyone. Is there anything else I may have missed about how the said features work in the '13 GL? Of the lane keeping assist, I wasn't sure if the opposite/rear braking was any good (seems a bit counter intuitive vs corrective steering). Also, I had heard from some that the 2013 GL450 active Lane Keeping Assist does have corrective steering (true at all?). If I can't get Distronic, is the Lane Keeping Assist Package (blind spot warning, Lane Keeping assist) worth it?
Lane keep assist does not do steering with steering wheel, but it works perfectly with breaking. I have a daily commute of 115 miles and sometimes stop paying attention. Active lane keeping assist gently puts you back into the lane when you cross a solid line without blinking.

When you cross a dotted line it will just vibrate the steering wheel. I have "adaptive" mode selected.

Distronic works at any speed and will fully stop you. It's especially great when I get stuck in slow moving traffic. It will just speed up, slow down and stop if needed. If the car completely stops for 3 seconds it will suspend itself and you'll have to flick the lever to resume it.