GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Question about 3-zone operation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 09:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 GL450, 2012 Land Rover LR4, 2003 Mitsubishi Montero
Question about 3-zone operation

Our 2014 has the 3-zone climate option. However, I do not know what setting I need to have in order to cause air to flow from the 2nd row vents directly behind the center console. I can hear the fan working, but the airflow coming out would probably not be enough to extinguish a lit match.

All other vents work well and blow forceful when on high. Not so with what I would have considered the main vents for the 2nd row.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2014, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by sbasham
Our 2014 has the 3-zone climate option. However, I do not know what setting I need to have in order to cause air to flow from the 2nd row vents directly behind the center console. I can hear the fan working, but the airflow coming out would probably not be enough to extinguish a lit match.

All other vents work well and blow forceful when on high. Not so with what I would have considered the main vents for the 2nd row.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

What I have found is that once you have activated the "zone control", to get more air out of those vents, the 2nd row passenger has to manually increase the fan speed. AND…. in the cold weather the main air flow is coming from under the front row seats anyway. In hot weather ( AC on ) is when you get max flow from the center console vents. Because they have included the side pillar post vents and roof vents in the 2nd row, the flow from the center vents is not what you might get from a vehicle ( such as the previous GL ) which does not have those additional vents.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 GL450, 2012 Land Rover LR4, 2003 Mitsubishi Montero
Thanks blittle. I had suspected it had something to do with the temperature and turned it down as low as it would go, but I supposed with our cold weather, it still wasn't low enough.

We test drove a GL450 without the 3 zone and it have plenty of flow from the center vents, so that's why I felt something was "off"- well that and the fact that our vents just did not have any flow to speak of.

I guess it is a non-issue as long as it's cold outside anyway. If it doesn't work as you described when the weather warms up, I'll revisit the issue and take to dealer if necessary.

Thanks again!
Old 02-04-2014, 10:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 GL 350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by sbasham
Thanks blittle. I had suspected it had something to do with the temperature and turned it down as low as it would go, but I supposed with our cold weather, it still wasn't low enough.

We test drove a GL450 without the 3 zone and it have plenty of flow from the center vents, so that's why I felt something was "off"- well that and the fact that our vents just did not have any flow to speak of.

I guess it is a non-issue as long as it's cold outside anyway. If it doesn't work as you described when the weather warms up, I'll revisit the issue and take to dealer if necessary.

Thanks again!
We have the 3 zone and I found that the top vents above the heads on the 2nd row were not blowing hot air (in cold weather temps). They actually weren't blowing any air to be exact. I asked the service guy and he said they don't work with the heat. The side vents on the doors (pillars) seemed to blow cold air for a long time, and eventually heat but takes awhile, but the center console in the back on the 2nd row seems to blow the most. The only problem is, if you're cranking the air in the front, I have found it gives less in the back, unless you have the 2nd row crank the fan and you turn your fan down in the front. I have to reach back and do this for my 2 boys all the time. Then it dawned on me last week to try and use the A/C button but turn the temp to the hottest setting. That kicked in the vents that weren't working, and made the heat seem a lot warmer, and I also felt like the fan was pushing out more. I noticed that when I got a loaner car the other day for some service that they had the setting on A/C but the temp on 90 or whatever it is. That is where I got the idea and then tried it on my own. Works great!
Old 02-04-2014, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
Originally Posted by Ntuck
We have the 3 zone and I found that the top vents above the heads on the 2nd row were not blowing hot air (in cold weather temps). They actually weren't blowing any air to be exact. I asked the service guy and he said they don't work with the heat. The side vents on the doors (pillars) seemed to blow cold air for a long time, and eventually heat but takes awhile, but the center console in the back on the 2nd row seems to blow the most. The only problem is, if you're cranking the air in the front, I have found it gives less in the back, unless you have the 2nd row crank the fan and you turn your fan down in the front. I have to reach back and do this for my 2 boys all the time. Then it dawned on me last week to try and use the A/C button but turn the temp to the hottest setting. That kicked in the vents that weren't working, and made the heat seem a lot warmer, and I also felt like the fan was pushing out more. I noticed that when I got a loaner car the other day for some service that they had the setting on A/C but the temp on 90 or whatever it is. That is where I got the idea and then tried it on my own. Works great!
Your advisor is right, the top vents only work with A/C
Old 02-05-2014, 05:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by cookstar
Your advisor is right, the top vents only work with A/C
…and when they are working, the rear ( 3rd row ) vents are also working and the ultimate result is that there is a reduced flow to those center 2nd row vents……. I believe its all by design. I have passengers in the 2nd row in both summer and now (unending) winter and all have said the temp was fine. I do agree with the start of this thread however……at first notice , it does seem like you would need more air from those center vents.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
I think I figured this out. If you have 3-zone climate control, select the "Focus" Air Flow button and air flow will significantly increase from the center vent in the second row, particularly when the cabin is hot and you first turn the car on. The idea is that if you have "Diffuse" selected it points less air on the occupants. "Focus" does the opposite and "Medium" is...well between the two settings.