GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Factory build time?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 03:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 GL 350 blue tec
Factory build time?

Does anyone know how long does it take them to build a GL ? Ours was second decade of feb when we ordered, then we were told production is Feb 16th, now we hear it is scheduled for Feb 20 th which technically is still second decade but curious how long does it take them to build one and get it ready for shipping?
Old 02-12-2014, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Since 1st week January Vance - for the 1st time since introduction - Vance has been "backed up" a bit on production.

There was a serious delay in January starting end-1st-decade January - unrelated to coming back from NY holiday.

Specifically there were "many" 2nd-3rd decade January GL that were "produced" - but there was unexpected shortage of several components - including running boards - so technically many GL's were backed up uncompleted awaiting those parts.

Vance stated these unexpected "shortages" would be corrected with the specific vendors involved - and that production would be back on schedule before the end of February.

So that you know what your dealer can and cannot see:

1) When factory order is assigned - that order has a "expected production decade"

2) About 3-4 weeks out that expected "production decade" is converted to "expected production date". That production date is a target - meaning in "smooth" production times the "expected date" can be considered a production completion date - in "not-so-smooth-times" that expected production date becomes more of the date the GL goes into that weeks production schedule.

3) Once production is really "started" - that is signaled by assignment in the system of the VIN# - once the dealer see's the VIN# appear in the system that is confirmation the GL will be "real" and reasonable expect to be completed and "released to VPC" in the follwing 2-3 working days.

The 2014 GL's had been running on schedule - and in Oct and Nov not uncommon to run up to 4-5-6 even 7 days ahead of schedule on particular GL's.

How "rough" was this January backup ? I had a GL350 that started production in the system Jan 8 - due to running board shortage completed production Feb 10.

Other the other hand I have had my two GL63's and three GL550's for Janauary come thru spot on - GL450/350 has been touchy - with that one GL350 my toughest nut and the most extreme case.

Now - the MB system is firm - the dealer does not have direct access to factory by intention - and we do not have direct access to transport either or 370 MB dealers would be calling Vance non-stop in response to specific customer inquiries even in "smooth" times.

Please don't track this back to me -a lot more than most I have a stronger "informal" communication with several of the good people at Vance - and frankly Vance has a very squared away top team.

That said - the information the dealer can see in the system is the most accurate available - again, Vance has been doing a incredible job with both the W166 and X166 - and this recent "burp" caught everybody flat footed.

It is not in the best interest of the customer to say - "waiting for parts" - shoot as a customer I would go ballistic - production/transport of a new MB SUV is triggers similar deep emotions to the birth of your 1st grandchild !

Everyone upstream into Vance I truly know are doing the very best - personally you should be fine on the production side once you have a VIN - and there will be internal "pressure" to make sure GL's built this month get transported - invoicing to their respective dealers happens as shipped - that part should happen quite smoothly.

Keep the beat !
The following users liked this post:
dukester34 (02-27-2017)
Old 02-12-2014, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Since 1st week January Vance - for the 1st time since introduction - Vance has been "backed up" a bit on production.

There was a serious delay in January starting end-1st-decade January - unrelated to coming back from NY holiday.

Specifically there were "many" 2nd-3rd decade January GL that were "produced" - but there was unexpected shortage of several components - including running boards - so technically many GL's were backed up uncompleted awaiting those parts.

Vance stated these unexpected "shortages" would be corrected with the specific vendors involved - and that production would be back on schedule before the end of February.

1) When factory order is assigned - that order has a "expected production decade"

2) About 3-4 weeks out that expected "production decade" is converted to "expected production date". That production date is a target - meaning in "smooth" production times the "expected date" can be considered a production completion date - in "not-so-smooth-times" that expected production date becomes more of the date the GL goes into that weeks production schedule.

3) Once production is really "started" - that is signaled by assignment in the system of the VIN# - once the dealer see's the VIN# appear in the system that is confirmation the GL will be "real" and reasonable expect to be completed and "released to VPC" in the follwing 2-3 working days.

The 2014 GL's had been running on schedule - and in Oct and Nov not uncommon to run up to 4-5-6 even 7 days ahead of schedule on particular GL's.

How "rough" was this January backup ? I had a GL350 that started production in the system Jan 8 - due to running board shortage completed production Feb 10.

Other the other hand I have had my two GL63's and three GL550's for Janauary come thru spot on - GL450/350 has been touchy - with that one GL350 my toughest nut and the most extreme case.

Now - the MB system is firm - the dealer does not have direct access to factory by intention - and we do not have direct access to transport either or 370 MB dealers would be calling Vance non-stop in response to specific customer inquiries even in "smooth" times.

Please don't track this back to me -a lot more than most I have a stronger "informal" communication with several of the good people at Vance - and frankly Vance has a very squared away top team.

That said - the information the dealer can see in the system is the most accurate available - again, Vance has been doing a incredible job with both the W166 and X166 - and this recent "burp" caught everybody flat footed.

It is not in the best interest of the customer to say - "waiting for parts" - shoot as a customer I would go ballistic - production/transport of a new MB SUV is triggers similar deep emotions to the birth of your 1st grandchild !

Everyone upstream into Vance I truly know are doing the very best - personally you should be fine on the production side once you have a VIN - and there will be internal "pressure" to make sure GL's built this month get transported - invoicing to their respective dealers happens as shipped - that part should happen quite smoothly.

Keep the beat !
…and there you have it!
Old 02-12-2014, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 GL550, '14 BMW 650iX GC MSE
I think we've all noticed and many have commented that Fab is one of if not the best source of info on this forum (thanks Fab, much appreciated!). My own personal experience closely mirrors what he said above. I have a GL550 on order that had a 1st decade January build. VIN was assigned in early Jan and MB system originally indicated it completed production on or around Jan 10. That's when the info stopped coming and MB went dark. Long story short, my dealer (who has been great thru all this) has had to nearly beg, borrow and steal to get any info of substance out of MBUSA. They were finally able to get a back door confirmation of what the actual holdup was middle of last week. Just as Fab said, they made me promise not to disclose to anyone or quote them because it could get them in trouble with MB, but the long and short of it was multiple component part shortages for my build along the way. It was literally down to just one small specific part needed up until Friday of last week. It officially/fully completed production and was released end of day 2/7/14. Not sure how the transport process works normally, but my dealer was able to arrange a faster transport than the normal 2+ weeks for their dealership. Car is supposed to be to my dealer this evening or tomorrow morning. Excepting for any possible further delay caused by the crappy weather were about to get hit with on the east coast, I should be able to finally take delivery by Friday/Saturday. I can understand logistical issues happen and we have to be flexible, but the lack of communication was painful. I've ordered many cars from different manufacturers over the years. In my personal past experience MB is the worst in general on the communication aspect, most especially with this specific order.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:37 PM

2014 GL 350 blue tec

Keep the beat !
Hi Fab,
Thank you so much for such detailed explaination. As always your insights are much appreciated.
Regards,
Sandeep
Old 02-12-2014, 08:38 PM

2014 GL 350 blue tec
Originally Posted by jgc650i
I think we've all noticed and many have commented that Fab is one of if not the best source of info on this forum (thanks Fab, much appreciated!). My own personal experience closely mirrors what he said above. I have a GL550 on order that had a 1st decade January build. VIN was assigned in early Jan and MB system originally indicated it completed production on or around Jan 10. That's when the info stopped coming and MB went dark. Long story short, my dealer (who has been great thru all this) has had to nearly beg, borrow and steal to get any info of substance out of MBUSA. They were finally able to get a back door confirmation of what the actual holdup was middle of last week. Just as Fab said, they made me promise not to disclose to anyone or quote them because it could get them in trouble with MB, but the long and short of it was multiple component part shortages for my build along the way. It was literally down to just one small specific part needed up until Friday of last week. It officially/fully completed production and was released end of day 2/7/14. Not sure how the transport process works normally, but my dealer was able to arrange a faster transport than the normal 2+ weeks for their dealership. Car is supposed to be to my dealer this evening or tomorrow morning. Excepting for any possible further delay caused by the crappy weather were about to get hit with on the east coast, I should be able to finally take delivery by Friday/Saturday. I can understand logistical issues happen and we have to be flexible, but the lack of communication was painful. I've ordered many cars from different manufacturers over the years. In my personal past experience MB is the worst in general on the communication aspect, most especially with this specific order.
Hi ,
Thank you for sharing your experience. Hopefully the parts issue is resolved and we will see our car in early March
Old 02-12-2014, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by infamily
Hi ,
Thank you for sharing your experience. Hopefully the parts issue is resolved and we will see our car in early March

If the "back door" info my guy got middle of last week was accurate, there were at the time 250+ Jan builds sitting in hold status due to various parts shortages. But, they also said issues were resolving and they expected them to get closed out and caught up quickly, which lines up with what Fab said above. If all that holds up, would think your timing looks good. Good luck!
Old 02-12-2014, 09:25 PM

2014 GL350, 2008 535i
Fabb - you are the best - thanks for your insight on this.

Got notice the our GL production date is Feb 26 - hoping it gets here soon!
Old 02-12-2014, 09:30 PM

Location: Long Island, NY / Mississauga, Ontario / Changhua, Taiwan
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
11 S550V4
my GL350 "expected" production date went from 2/10 to 2/16 when I checked with the dealer today, and the VIN number has been released. Hope it doesn't get pushed back any further!
Old 02-13-2014, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
My GL 550 was a Jan 3rd decade - got pushed to Feb 1st decade - arrived at dealership yesterday.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:26 PM

My long, and extended several times, wait is finally over! Took delivery this evening of my new GL550. Can't say I'm happy about all the production delays and poor communication along the way, but what can I say. . . this car is so worth it!
Old 02-15-2014, 10:00 AM

'14 MB GL550 Diamond White/designo Porcelain/Black Leather w/ Bang & Olufsen BeoSound
Originally Posted by jgc650i
My long, and extended several times, wait is finally over! Took delivery this evening of my new GL550. Can't say I'm happy about all the production delays and poor communication along the way, but what can I say. . . this car is so worth it!
Isn't it?!!! It took what seemed like ages to get ours & it was only weeks but ahhh, I'm still in love!!
Old 02-15-2014, 02:46 PM

2014 GL 350 blue tec
Update on our order progress

Just got email from our dealer. Car is in production as of yesterday. We have the vin number and the spec sheet. Since earlier in the week they told us production is 2/20, I assume that date must be production complete date, or maybe Vance is catching up on orders and moving production up
Old 02-15-2014, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
":In production" is quite a broad term - the key here is when the GL (a) GL gets released to VPC and (2) when VPC releases to transport carrier.

On the bright side - yes, on track if "in production" today.

Keep the beat !
Old 02-16-2014, 11:48 AM

2014 GL 350 blue tec
":In production" is quite a broad term - the key here is when the GL (a) GL gets released to VPC and (2) when VPC releases to transport carrier.

On the bright side - yes, on track if "in production" today.

Keep the beat !
Thanks for your insights, so I assume dealer gets updates when the car is built and when the car is released for transport?
Old 02-16-2014, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
If the dealer "looks" into the system - yes, release to VPC, and release to Transport, and "Carrier shipped" are updated in the system the evening that each of those things happens.

would suggest you pull back a bit - stress less - it will all work out in just a few days - and you don't want to get too edgey - you are getting a custom factory built luxury Mercedes SUV - enjoy the experience !
Old 02-16-2014, 07:39 PM

2014 GL 350 blue tec
If the dealer "looks" into the system - yes, release to VPC, and release to Transport, and "Carrier shipped" are updated in the system the evening that each of those things happens.

would suggest you pull back a bit - stress less - it will all work out in just a few days - and you don't want to get too edgey - you are getting a custom factory built luxury Mercedes SUV - enjoy the experience !
Thanks, not stressing I know it will all work out, but being like a kid anxiously waiting for new toy though it is for my wife. First time ever for us to order a vehicle, always bought cars off the lot so not sure how things work.
Always appreciate your insights and knowledge of MB process.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:30 PM

2014 GL 350 blue tec
So 2/20 production date for us was in fact the production complete date. Car is ready and waiting for transporter as of this morning. Expected to arrive in 2 weeks.