GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Suspension/Brake Problems--Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL 450
Suspension/Brake Problems--Help!

MB Team---Need some help.

Have a very early build 2013 GL 450 (new body). It's our second GL and we have had 2 MLs. So, pretty familiar with the vehicle over the past 7 years.

The dealer just replaced the front rotors and brakes for the 2nd time--we are only at 21K. That's three rotors/pads since brand new. Dealer indicates that MB has the problem solved now… I can only tell you that this is a major issue as many have reported on the forum. The replaced rotors are now cross-drilled front and rear. I am told there is a new pad design.

My bigger issue is now the suspension. The car feels like I am floating on over-inflated tires. I had the dealer check the airmatic suspension--they said no problem--they claim to have let the car sit over night looking for leaks or any faults. Tire pressure front tires at 32 and rear at 36. Today, in a rain storm with wind, the car felt like it was completely disconnected from the road. Front end floated. If I had to make an evasive maneuver, it felt like the car would have rolled. My 11 year old even said the car is making him car sick.

Driving on 19"s. Continental 4x4. Original tires. Still have about 3-5K left on tread.

I am at the point of tossing the keys back on this one.

Has anyone had any suspension problems on the early 2013 builds?

Thank you!
Old 04-20-2014, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
You might consider fresh tires - 20K on 1st set is spot-on replacement time - the good news is the 2nd set/same tire will last about 5K-7K longer - I suspect from my experience that the tires shipped by the tire manuf to car manuf are "softer" than labeled spec..