GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Tranmission shifting too abruptly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 07:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
GL350
Tranmission shifting too abruptly

I have 2014 GL350 with transmission issues, one of which the dealer denies exists. In order to satisfy myself that the dealer is really wrong, I'd like to drive another GL350 back-to-back with my GL to compare how it behaves compared to mine. I've asked my dealer to provide a vehicle for such a comparison but I'm being stonewalled with a claim that all their inventory GL350s are presold so they don't have a vehicle to do the comparison drive. That claim is despite that fact that the dealer web site listed at various times over the last 4 or 5 months several GL350s in available inventory.

Which brings me to the point of this post: if there is someone in Phoenix, AZ or surrounding area (even Tucson or Flagstaff) with a 2013 or 2014 GL350 who is willing to let me drive it (or let me ride in it while you drive it) so I can compare it to mine, I'd really appreciate it.

Here's the rest of the story. After four trips to the dealer, it looks like they finally fixed an intermittent problem where (in very brief terms) the transmission would stick in a gear and the paddles wouldn't work. If the ignition was cycled, those problems went away for a while. The dealer finally figured out the problem was caused by a malfunctioning filter in the exhaust. Yes, that sounds goofy, but it looks to be true because they fixed the filter and the transmission episodes haven't occurred since.

What's still going on is that downshifts from 4>3>2 are a bit abrupt, especially before the trans is at operating temp. Upshifts before the trans is at operating temp are also sometimes pretty abrupt, though upshifts tend to be smoother when the trans is up to temp. Also before the trans is up to temp, it seems pretty easily confused and clunks into gear with a bit of a jolt sometimes when I'm moving along at fairly low speed, lift off the throttle then immediately and gently apply it again.

I thought this abruptness would be cured once the bigger trans problems were fixed, but that didn't turn out to be the case. The abruptness is still there.

Which brings me to what the dealer is doing about it. Nothing. They deny there is a problem. Their tech drove the car and pronounced it a fine example of MB workmanship. I contacted MBUSA customer service and after some cajoling, they agreed to have a field tech go for a drive. He also pronounced the vehicle as being within normal operating parameters.

But it's not. I drove a GLK350 and it is much smoother. Yes, I know it's not the same drivetrain, but it makes no sense that the little/cheaper SUV is smoother than the GL. And it not being the same drivetrain brings me to the real point which I discussed at the beginning of this post. I want a comparison drive in another GL350.

I've been asking for months that the dealer provide an inventory GL350 for a back-to-back comparison drive. It seems to me that would be the end of the story, one way or the other, on whether my GL doesn't shift properly. But, the dealer keeps telling me that the GL is one hot commodity and they don't have a single one that isn't pre-sold notwithstanding that the dealer's web site says otherwise. I know that GL350s are in demand, but it's hard to believe that in the last 4 or 5 months they haven't had a single one they could drive back-to-back with mine.

So if anyone out there with a GL350 is willing to let me drive or ride along in their vehicle for a few miles to compare it to mine, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 GL 350 Bluetec
The only thing I have noticed on my '14 GL350 is that when it's cold or cooler in the mornings, and I just start the car and go down the road, that it sticks from 3rd to 4th gear. It gives a little jerk and I have to do the same as you and release my foot off the pedal. It kind of drives me crazy but I have gotten used to it. It only happens in the morning though so thankfully it's not every time.

I live in VA, otherwise I would let you try mine!
Old 05-20-2014, 07:05 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
14 GL 350, 23Chevy Bolt EV and 22 EUV
Exactly my issue, when the car is just starting out, the shift between 3rd to 4th is harsh and pronounced. It lasts about 10 minutes until the car is warm, then no problems after that. My dealer said there is no software update available for this minor problem.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 GL350
I just got my car this past Monday, and I have noticed it to. However, the shift between 2nd to 3rd seems a little harsh (gives a little jerk as if it wants to go faster)especially when I'm moving at a low speed, lift off the gas pedal then immediately and gently apply it again. Although its a little annoying, I am just going to monitor it and bring it the dealership's attention if it gets worst.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
My 09 Bluetec does the same thing you all are describing (I think). I believe it is holding the lower gear to warm up the catalysts for emissions reasons. The SCR system can't produce ammonia if the catalyst is not up to a certain temp. Without ammonia, it can't reduce nitric oxides.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:19 PM

Location: Long Island, NY / Mississauga, Ontario / Changhua, Taiwan
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
11 S550V4
My 14 GL350 has the same issues with the transmission. Of course, the dealer said it's operating as designed. I haven't had a chance to try another one, so I'm not sure if it's only mine (apparently not). It happens at operating temperature while sitting in traffic, as well. Abrupt shifts enough to make you think you're riding one of those bucking bulls where they try to shake off the rider......
Old 06-04-2014, 07:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by captivabenz
Exactly my issue, when the car is just starting out, the shift between 3rd to 4th is harsh and pronounced. It lasts about 10 minutes until the car is warm, then no problems after that. My dealer said there is no software update available for this minor problem.
I have noticed this issue on all three of the GL's I have owned....to a greater or lesser degree. Talked it over with my tech at the dealership who is a good friend and he said that 1. the auto trans technology has become VERY complicated as the manufactures look for ways to maximize economy and yet maintain performance.... 2. in the MB, the computer analyzes all the ambient factors affecting engine performance before telling the trans to "shift" and at the same time, is constantly going through a "learning process" where by the trans "adapts" to your particular driving situation at any given moment....for insntance, I regularly travel a 3 mile route that requires I not exceed 15mph and sometimes need to slow to 5.....the trans, after about 1/2 mile knows this and maintains 2nd gear and does not attempt to go beyond that. 3. the ultimate goal of the programming is to get out of the lower gears as quickly as possible to get the best possible fuel mileage. My tech guy said , for the most part it works wonderfully....but there will be times when the computer is dealing with "borderline" data, particularly in early start and the first couple of shifts that you may "feel" it "getting its act together!" Just came back from a 400 mile run and got 21mpg...... I am happy with it!
Old 06-05-2014, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450, E550
I have a new GL450 which was shifting roughly and dealer was able to reproduce the problem downshifting between 3rd and 2nd. There is apparently a software update, at least for the GL450, specifically for this issue.

However, the first update crashed badly and it took more than a week for the engine to be recovered. It's working now, so I'm assuming there's now a proper fix that perhaps you should also ask about from your dealer.