GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Feeling unsafe driving in the rain

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,073 Likes on 860 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Few things at play here. The Ebrakes are known to fail and will stick closed either partially or fully. The rear brake calipers are also known to seize due to corrosion if the sliding pin is not lubricated properly. Lastly, the cars with lane keep assist use the rear brakes to help keep the car in the lane. The effects are not as bad on the GLS as the GL but it is still a possibility that the car is braking one side and causing the car to slide.

I would take the car in to have the pins on the rear brake calipers lubricated. Then, turn off the lake keep assist in the rain. If still sliding, the Ebrake is partially sticking.
The following users liked this post:
CDShack (07-21-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 08:21 PM

Received 143 Likes on 127 Posts
GL550 X164
The ebrake not being a component on the x164 would explain why the x164 experience is different than the x166.

With the MBII, monitor the EPS module data stream. Specifically the wheel speed sensors. In a straight line all wheel sensors should have similar values. If the rears are slower, it would indicate the ebrake sticking.

Nor sure if the x166 section has it, but the x164 does. The EPS/ABS will be disabled while you're in the EPS module with the scanner and the dash lights for both will be illuminated. Drive with extra caution.
CDShack (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 08:38 AM

Received 215 Likes on 140 Posts
E63s SL550 GL450
Originally Posted by CDShack
I'm so glad to find this forum!!! My GLS450 (2017) has become dangerous in the slightest 'wet road' conditions. I read this thread a while back and put new tires on it. It is wearing Pirelli Zeros with maybe 5000 miles (didn't help from day one) My experience is somewhat different:

Last summer we were scooting up I35 in Texas during a pretty heavy rain storm at 75-ish, all good. Suddenly, it was like the road turned to ice!!! The car got loose and stayed that way for a long way. Hydroplan? Nah. It was different. When I got down to 45-50 mph, it was like the steering wheel wasn't doing a lot, and the car was sliding. Tire light came on and I thought, ("Ah-ha! I have a flat! That explains it!) Slowed way down, pulled off the road and into a station. Tire pressure was just low enough in the right front to turn on the light. I aired it up and checked out the car, and headed back to the highway. It was still raining lightly, but I couldn't get it above 55 mph that it didn't want to do a 180!. Finally, the road dried off, and back to 80 mph no problem. Beautiful.

I came back, saw this thread, bought a new set of tires and waited on the rain. Next trip when we hit rain, SCARY. You could 'feel' you had traction, then the car would get 'quiet' like you hit black ice and away you go. I found turning off the traction control helped considerably, but still dangerously unacceptable.

Then...Last night, the rain had stopped and the road was wettish with little wetter spots in the indentions of the road. As soon as a tire touched the wetter spot, the car would get quiet and slide over about 6 inches then catch, and you could tell by the noise there was traction again. It happened over and over again until we hit perfectly dry pavement, then it was great again. It has gotten progressively worse, to the point I don't let my wife drive it if the weatherman even thinks it's going to rain.

Has anyone had any experience with any of the electronic nannys messing with the wet weather traction? What was it? What was the fix? When I hit one little puddle it was like the ABS locked up the left front tire for a millisecond. None of this happened when in warranty, so I'm hoping to get some real world input before I sell my soul to the stealership!
Although our GL450 never broke loose like you described it was definitely scary on wet roads with the Continental tires. When I switched to the Pirelli Scorpion Zero the issue went away. I've driven it in really bad and wet conditions with standing water and have had no problems with the car feeling unstable or attempting to break traction. The tires are now worn about half way through the tread and still sticking to wet roads. Hope you get it figured out.
Old 11-02-2021, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gt 43 amg
You are not mistaken!!

Originally Posted by Ntuck
Sorry for the delayed response and didn't realize there were so many people who had responded to this thread either. Well, I have been through some tires in the last 6 years! The Conti's were what I started with, then Michelins and my last tires have been Toyo. I had Toyo Versa and now the Toyo Celsius. Both did really well in the beginning, but again after about 20K miles, I start to slip again in the rain. The vehicle is very floaty, but driving through heavy rain makes me feel very uncomfortable still in this car with so many different tires. I'm at 111,000 miles, and still feel this way. It seems strange it would be the tires after 4 sets, but who knows.
I have raced cars for over 20 years and have felt just about everything in the way of how my car(s) is/are reacting to my inputs and the external elements.
With that being said I have a MB GT AMG that I will not EVER drive in the rain. (Yes 4matic equipped) Dont listen to any of these people trying to convince you that you’re at fault or it’s old tires or that you’re imagining the cars lack of performance. This car sucks in the rain!!!
I will go as far as dangerous in the rain.
Good luck with how you deal with it!
I've gone so far as trying to calibrate the system so it can get me the security the AWD system should provide; but obviously that didn’t work either…
Old 11-03-2021, 11:46 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
GL450
Man, I thought it was just the '13 GL450 we bought!!
Scared the **** out of me the first time I drove it in the rain, I just knew I was going to put it in the wall or in a ditch! Me my Wife and both daughters were nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rockers! I've been driving cars, trucks, motorcycles, race cars, boats & airplanes for over 40yrs and yeah I've lost control in a few those rides but it was because I was either going too fast for the road conditions or cut'n donuts & drifting when I shouldn't have been! Fortunately none of those unexpected off road adventures hurt me, the car or my passengers!

The car has the factory (size) wheels and tires on it, 275/55-19 in all four corners on 19x8's.
I'm looking at going with a 20x9 front with a 275/40-20 and a 20x10 rear with 295/40-20. My hope is the wider and lower tires will grip the road better. I have ran Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 in the past and loved the tire. The handling, grip and tire life were all exceptional, hope they work as good on the Family Truxter!

Chad
Old 11-03-2021, 12:10 PM

GL550 X164
Originally Posted by Tiffany's GL450
Man, I thought it was just the '13 GL450 we bought!!
Scared the **** out of me the first time I drove it in the rain, I just knew I was going to put it in the wall or in a ditch! Me my Wife and both daughters were nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rockers! I've been driving cars, trucks, motorcycles, race cars, boats & airplanes for over 40yrs and yeah I've lost control in a few those rides but it was because I was either going too fast for the road conditions or cut'n donuts & drifting when I shouldn't have been! Fortunately none of those unexpected off road adventures hurt me, the car or my passengers!

The car has the factory (size) wheels and tires on it, 275/55-19 in all four corners on 19x8's.
I'm looking at going with a 20x9 front with a 275/40-20 and a 20x10 rear with 295/40-20. My hope is the wider and lower tires will grip the road better. I have ran Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 in the past and loved the tire. The handling, grip and tire life were all exceptional, hope they work as good on the Family Truxter!

Chad
Be careful with the different size tires front and rear. The 4matic might not like it. Just a guess here, no actual experience with different sizes on the GL 4matic. It might be fine. If the GL63 has wider rear tires (I think it does, but I'm not sure), the 450 should be alright with a similar setup. Just keep the diameter of the front and rear tires close enough.

In the wet, wider is not better. You want a tire that moves the water away. These trucks are heavy and will eat tires. If you put wider rears on, you'll probably be replacing them sooner than the fronts. You won't be able to rotate fronts to rear and vice versa. I'm just voicing some of the drawbacks here.

The DWS06 tires are very good, but on these trucks they seem to last less than their rated mileage. All depends on driving habits and conditions, I suppose, but the reviews I've seen were mentioning lower mileage than expected. That said, I'm going with exactly that tire (not the plus) in a couple of weeks in 295/40R21. Not my top choice, but it was too good of a sale to pass up. I'd have picked the Geolandar X-CV as my #1 tire, but saving $400 made the decision on the DWS06 easy. Time will tell if it was wise.
Old 11-03-2021, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 373 Likes on 325 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
I'm looking at going with a 20x9 front with a 275/40-20 and a 20x10 rear with 295/40-20.
Those (28.7" front and 29.3" rear) are way off for any MB 4matic car originally designed with the same front/rear diameter tires (like the GL).
Just as important the loads for those tires are significantly less than those required for heavy GL and tire to fender gap will look horrendous.
If one was to use staggered tires on 20" wheels for GL, the correct diameter and load tires would be 275/50-20 front and 305/45-20 (with 295/45-20 still acceptable for the rear), provided there's a tire available in both diameters.
As was mentioned above, going wider (especially on the rear) will reduce wet handling safety feeling envelope even more.
Old 11-03-2021, 01:14 PM

GL450
Thanks for the reply man, yeah I get the wider tire is going to sit on top of more water but I think smaller sidewall won't let the car flex (squat & raise) like it does now. Might be a bit stiffer ride but as cushy as the car is to begin with I don't think my wife will really notice the difference. Yeah rotations have been cut in half so to speak but I can move the left to right and right to left since the tire (the DWS) is not a directional tire.
As far as the car rejecting the tire/wheel sizes being different, I'm not sure about that. If it doesn't like it I hope I can use some tuning software to correct it, I've did that on newer Corvette's, Camaro's, GM Trucks and other GM Platforms with no issues so I'm hoping that Mercedes has that same ability.
I had the DWS's on a lowered truck, 4200lb curb weight. I see the GL450 is 5400lbs. What a beast huh!
I was looking at my post earlier, I made a typo. I am going to run a 275/45 & 295/45 and not the 40 series. Sorry, had a mouth full of spaghetti while I was typing!!

Bon Appetit'

Last edited by Tiffany's GL450; 11-03-2021 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-03-2021, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I was looking at my post earlier, I made a typo. I am going to run a 275/45 & 295/45 and not the 40 series. '
Doesn't matter as proportion of dimeter difference is the same for 45s as with 40s. You can not or rather should not run over 1/2" diameter differences on GL/GLS 4matics, so 275/50 is the correct front size, but it is your car and it sounds you're set on sizes. Since others read these forums, I put info regarding what should be done.

Also while lower sidewall enhances dry handling and turning, it is also as detrimental to wet handling as the wider tires are.

Old 11-03-2021, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've did that on newer Corvette's, Camaro's, GM Trucks and other GM Platforms with no issues so I'm hoping that Mercedes has that same ability.
That Corvette and Camaro were not AWD, were they? Of course not. And especially not the sensitive 4matic AWD system of MB. Deferential and transfer case will eventually fail.
Old 11-03-2021, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by expl0rer
Be careful with the different size tires front and rear. The 4matic might not like it. Just a guess here, no actual experience with different sizes on the GL 4matic. It might be fine. If the GL63 has wider rear tires (I think it does, but I'm not sure), the 450 should be alright with a similar setup. Just keep the diameter of the front and rear tires close enough.
X166/W166 all, including 63s, have identical wheels' tires at all 4 corners except for W166 GLE "coupes". With 167 platform MB went to staggered but still almost the same front/rear diameters, i.e. for 21" 167 GLE/GLS use 275/45-21 front and 315/40-21 rear tires, while 22" 167 GLS use 1" taller diameter tires.
Old 11-03-2021, 02:49 PM

GL550 X164
Originally Posted by threeMBs
X166/W166 all, including 63s, have identical wheels' tires at all 4 corners except for W166 GLE "coupes". With 167 platform MB went to staggered but still almost the same front/rear diameters, i.e. for 21" 167 GLE/GLS use 275/45-21 front and 315/40-21 rear tires, while 22" 167 GLS use 1" taller diameter tires.
Thanks for the correction!
threeMBs (11-03-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 02:53 PM

GL550 X164
Thanks for the reply man, yeah I get the wider tire is going to sit on top of more water but I think smaller sidewall won't let the car flex (squat & raise) like it does now. Might be a bit stiffer ride but as cushy as the car is to begin with I don't think my wife will really notice the difference. Yeah rotations have been cut in half so to speak but I can move the left to right and right to left since the tire (the DWS) is not a directional tire.
As far as the car rejecting the tire/wheel sizes being different, I'm not sure about that. If it doesn't like it I hope I can use some tuning software to correct it, I've did that on newer Corvette's, Camaro's, GM Trucks and other GM Platforms with no issues so I'm hoping that Mercedes has that same ability.
I had the DWS's on a lowered truck, 4200lb curb weight. I see the GL450 is 5400lbs. What a beast huh!
I was looking at my post earlier, I made a typo. I am going to run a 275/45 & 295/45 and not the 40 series. Sorry, had a mouth full of spaghetti while I was typing!!

Bon Appetit'
How about Michelin Crossclimate in 19 or 20, same size on all 4 corners? Those are rated about as high as you can get them in wet and winter driving conditions. If I were on 20"wheels, I'd be sporting them year round, personally.

Old 11-03-2021, 03:54 PM

GL450
Well, this is why I was looking for a Forum to ask questions about the Car, never owned one and never worked on one. I've never dressed one up either and it sounds like I still have much to learn about it.
I am/was not aware about the Sensitive 4Matic and the AWD system of the Car since it is our first Luxury car, again this why I am on here, to ask questions and get answers.

So your recommending a 20x9 in all four corners with at MINIMUM a 275/50 20? What about 275/45 20 in all four corners? Can I use a tuning software and adjust the speedometer without trashing the Diff and Xfer case?

Chad
Old 11-03-2021, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You can use either 285/45-20 (275/45-20 is ok but not ideal), 265/50-20 or 275/50-20 on 9" wide wheel all around; or 295/45-20 on 10" wide wheel all around.

You can run staggered if you really want to, but it is not advised on W166 GL. If you do, diameters must be ideally equal but if not then within 1% (or 0.3") difference: 265/50-20 with 295/45-20 will work. I am not suggesting to run staggered just saying that you can provided diameters are the same or within 0.3". The diameter of tires and not the width of tires is the key.
Old 11-03-2021, 05:39 PM

GL450
Thanks a ton guys! This is why I'm on here, to ask questions, get suggestions and find answers.
This is what I needed to know!
Cheers Gents, you guys kick @$$!

Chad

Last edited by Tiffany's GL450; 11-03-2021 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-04-2021, 07:12 AM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
GL500
I've moved to 275/55/20s from the 21s and stuck on some AT tyres with an aggressive tread. Car feels a lot better in the rain. Low profile Conti's don't suit a heavy car like the GL... especially when loaded with 6ppl and luggage.
Old 08-10-2023, 11:51 AM

GLE 2021
GLE slipping and sliding in rain

Did you get resolution on the slipping issue with your suv? I had the EXACT scenario yesterday and also last week. My tires are only a year old. Looking for a solution- love the car but scared to drive in rain now

Originally Posted by Sunbeltgolfer11
Although our GL450 never broke loose like you described it was definitely scary on wet roads with the Continental tires. When I switched to the Pirelli Scorpion Zero the issue went away. I've driven it in really bad and wet conditions with standing water and have had no problems with the car feeling unstable or attempting to break traction. The tires are now worn about half way through the tread and still sticking to wet roads. Hope you get it figured out.
Old 08-10-2023, 01:03 PM

Received 215 Likes on 140 Posts
E63s SL550 GL450
Originally Posted by LEIGH@nn1
Did you get resolution on the slipping issue with your suv? I had the EXACT scenario yesterday and also last week. My tires are only a year old. Looking for a solution- love the car but scared to drive in rain now
We are still driving the 2016 GL450. Since switching out of the Continental tires I've not had an issue with the car feeling like it was going to hydroplane or break traction on wet roads. We just returned from a trip to PA during the nasty rain and wind event without any problems. The car is approaching 120,000 miles and been through a couple sets of the Pirelli tires. Won't ever go back to Continental on any of our cars.
Old 08-10-2023, 10:26 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
GL 350 Bluetec
Sounds like you resolved the issue and it was the tires but the electronic nanny’s can be turned off in the menus if you ever wanted to rule that out. I know the Distronic cruise can act up in a heavy rain so it wouldn’t be that surprising if the other ones did too. I keep them off anyway.
Old 08-14-2023, 01:31 PM

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts
2016 S550 Coupe, 2015 GL 550
Correct Tires + Sport Mode Suspension

I run Continental DSW (the DSW stands for Dry, Snow, Wet). I live by these tires. As the tread depth degrades, the letters start to fade one-by-one on the tread to indicate you've exceeded snow capabilities (hence the "S" fades first I believe). Then the "W" for wet fades next, then eventually the "D". They perform well in all weather (obviously snow will vary depending on depth and nothing is great on ice). I also highly recommend keeping your suspension in sport mode at least in inclement weather. I found that comfort mode with the GL's suspension is as floaty as a Cadillac. I only drive in comfort in the city. Even though it's too floaty. I have a GL 550 by the way and in sport mode suspension it handles almost as good as my S550 coupe.

I will also add to those mentioning staggered tires on a 4Matic. I have an S550 Coupe and run 22" aftermarket wheels and have always done so without issue on not just my S550 Coupe but damn near every Mercedes I've ever owned. Never had an issue. That shouldn't be an issue if you go that route.

Last edited by lexnoir; 08-16-2023 at 11:21 AM.
CaliBenzDriver (10-18-2023)
Old 10-14-2023, 10:33 PM

cls550
me too

I have been noticing the same issue with my CLS550. It slides sideways on very wet pavement and raining but not enough for to hydroplane. It is very scary and have never had this with another vehicle. Tires are fairly new.

QUOTE=Ntuck;6047362]I am not sure if it's my tires or what, but when I drive in the rain it is down right scary. I usually go the speed limit or a little above even when raining and have never felt unsafe in any car driving in the rain. I have to say that I'm almost scared to drive the GL in the rain. I sway back and forth and it doesn't really feel like a true hydroplane but like I'm a little out of control.

Wondering if anyone else has this problem. My FIL said that it's probably all the computers taking over and trying to keep me in line. I don't know that it is. Just wondering if a different tire would help. I've got about 50% tread left and 16K miles so far, and of course not having much luck finding a decent tire for the 19" wheels.[/QUOTE]