GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

2015 GL350 - long term reliability?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 07:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
S550
Originally Posted by Cody McCullough
I just purchased my first Mercedes Benz GL 550 five weeks ago. I have owned 5 BMWs and one Audi and can say quality seems suspect in comparison. It just came back from the dealer this week. The rear vent window broke in the second week. The front chrome bumper is bubbling. The rear wheel arch has a very poor fit that for MB offered to fix but I'm concerned with having a new piece that requires painting. I like the truck, but have been surprised with the initial issues.
What made you switch to MB after owning BMWs and an Audi?
Old 01-17-2015, 11:46 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
2002 C4 Cab, 2014 Audi A5 cab, 2017 X5 35d
Originally Posted by tate16t
I'm a bit concerned with all these negative posts about the GL. I was considering one of these for my family. Are the problem posts here limited to a few or is this vehicle one I should avoid? Those with problems are they resolved by MB?

If I should avoid the GL, which other SUV is worth looking at?
If you want a truck.....buy a Yukon, Tahoe or Escalade. If you want old technology.......buy a Sequoia, Lexus LX or GX, Infiniti QX 80 or the like. If you want Jaguar trouble.....buy a Range Rover. If you want a Ford........you really don't want a Ford do you?
I do think the newly designed Audi Q7 warrants a look.
I'm no authority or expert but I've participated in and/or followed many of these auto forums and a good percentage of what you get here is of the complaint variety. In general people who are happy with their vehicles are busy enjoying the car. The true enthusiast shares the good, the bad and the ugly. My point is that for every GL issue posted here there are thousands of drivers who have no issues.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
S550
Originally Posted by anothercar
If you want a truck.....buy a Yukon, Tahoe or Escalade. If you want old technology.......buy a Sequoia, Lexus LX or GX, Infiniti QX 80 or the like. If you want Jaguar trouble.....buy a Range Rover. If you want a Ford........you really don't want a Ford do you?
I do think the newly designed Audi Q7 warrants a look.
I'm no authority or expert but I've participated in and/or followed many of these auto forums and a good percentage of what you get here is of the complaint variety. In general people who are happy with their vehicles are busy enjoying the car. The true enthusiast shares the good, the bad and the ugly. My point is that for every GL issue posted here there are thousands of drivers who have no issues.
Another angle: there might be thousands who are experiencing similar problems as those posted here but aren't aware of this forum.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:15 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
2002 C4 Cab, 2014 Audi A5 cab, 2017 X5 35d
Originally Posted by tate16t
Another angle: there might be thousands who are experiencing similar problems as those posted here but aren't aware of this forum.
Could be......however, since 2005 I've owned 11 German made vehicles (4 MB, 4 Porsche, 1 BMW, 2 Audi) and all have been trouble free! Oldest was Model year 2002 (C4 Cab owned for 10 years) and newest is 9 weeks old (GL 350). Fact is that most of today's vehicles, no matter what country of origin, are reliable and trouble free. Of course, a few are troublesome and we hear about the trouble makers more often.
That said, I trade most of my vehicles before the warranty expires so I'm no expert on long term reliability, the 2002 C4 Cab excepted. Dumbest thing I ever did is sell that baby.

Last edited by anothercar; 01-17-2015 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 350
Let me start off by saying that when I test drove my 2010 GL-350 I fell in love with it. The engine was smooth, transmission great and interior quality was fantastic, so I went ahead and purchased it. Despite having 90k miles on it (I have had diesels before and run them until 150k easily and know they can go much higher so the miles didn't worry me) I thought it was as sound decision (I have also had 2 other ML-350's before and loved them and had very few problems, one was a 2002 and one a 2005).

Well after 4 Check engine lights (Blue Tech low... the Check Engine Light came on before the warning !, Fuel line break spraying diesel over a relay, Blue Tech heater replacement and an O-ring failure on the turbo) and over $3000 in 3 months. I tried to work with Mercedes of Westminster, CO but ended up deciding to try to trade back the vehicle for a gas engined car. Unfortunately they did not offer me a good value on my car for a trade in so I was basically losing all my equity in the vehicle (interestingly I test drove a 2010 ML and the check engine light came on while I was driving it !! ). In the end I decided not to give my trade back to that dealership and went for a new Japanese car... lost about $10k over 3 months so will NEVER buy a Mercedes again.

My advice, DO NOT buy and older Mercedes and if you buy new do not expect them to last unless you have deep pockets ! Oh and if you are still thinking of buying a diesel, don't if you live in a cold climate !
Old 04-01-2015, 06:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Originally Posted by cchristison
Let me start off by saying that when I test drove my 2010 GL-350 I fell in love with it. The engine was smooth, transmission great and interior quality was fantastic, so I went ahead and purchased it. Despite having 90k miles on it (I have had diesels before and run them until 150k easily and know they can go much higher so the miles didn't worry me) I thought it was as sound decision (I have also had 2 other ML-350's before and loved them and had very few problems, one was a 2002 and one a 2005).

Well after 4 Check engine lights (Blue Tech low... the Check Engine Light came on before the warning !, Fuel line break spraying diesel over a relay, Blue Tech heater replacement and an O-ring failure on the turbo) and over $3000 in 3 months. I tried to work with Mercedes of Westminster, CO but ended up deciding to try to trade back the vehicle for a gas engined car. Unfortunately they did not offer me a good value on my car for a trade in so I was basically losing all my equity in the vehicle (interestingly I test drove a 2010 ML and the check engine light came on while I was driving it !! ). In the end I decided not to give my trade back to that dealership and went for a new Japanese car... lost about $10k over 3 months so will NEVER buy a Mercedes again.

My advice, DO NOT buy and older Mercedes and if you buy new do not expect them to last unless you have deep pockets ! Oh and if you are still thinking of buying a diesel, don't if you live in a cold climate !
Sorry about your luck. Why did you post this here? You had a X164. The GL was redesigned in 2013. This is the X166 forum. Perhaps the X166 will prove to be unreliable but I'm not sure that your experience with a X164 has any relevance here. Apparently your experience with two other ML's didn't have any relevance to what you experienced with your 2010 GL. Right?
Old 04-01-2015, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Probably best to discuss in X164 forum.

There are a lot of questions, how long did you have it, did you buy it CPO, did you buy from the dealer, etc. I think sharing your experience will be more valuable people who have the same model.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 350
Originally Posted by cchristison

The reason for posting here was that someone was asking about long term reliability and I purchased an older Mercedes on the basis that they were reliable cars and I found that the newer models (Can you say that the X166 models are going to be better ?) are not, in my experience. I believe that they are great from new for 0 -4 years, but after that you take your chances (I had a 2002 ML320 for 3 years with no problems and an 2005 ML350 for 3 years with very few problems). I am not saying that every Mercedes will be like this, but when I test drove another ML350 with 40k on the clock and the CEL came on, then that decided it for me.... no more Mercedes.

Last edited by cchristison; 04-13-2015 at 06:21 AM.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carrera S;
2014 GL550 w/ 13,200 miles. No issues at all except replacement of defective headlight module within week of delivery.