GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Front brake rotors warped again.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2019 | 12:27 PM

Yugo Zastava
Originally Posted by speefspeed
correct but autopilot constantly brakes
I meant autopilot/lane assist used in conjunction

In summary highway driving nannies
Old 09-18-2019 | 04:45 PM

CLK 350
Unhappy Rotor Warping

All,

I am surprised that no one has revealed the actual cause of all of these warped Rotors. I had a 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee that incorporated the MB Traction Control system. After 6000 miles my rotors were warped, it drove like most of your complaints on this thread. Shudders, shimmies, it will be most noticeable when going down a steep incline. However the front brakes locked up on me in a parking lot too when just backing out.

After countless rounds of bickering with the dealership and finally convincing them I don't tow a boat up and down hills or do anything to cause this, they found the solution for me. Just to clarify my jeep was garaged most of the time and used to go to the airport as I travel all the time, that's all I ever use it for except to tow a boat on flat ground 5 miles to the lake once a month.

It was the ABS system software. After they upgraded the software I never had another issue. Attached is a link to a PDF document from MB to its service managers informing them of this problem with certain 2015 models. I assure you this is a problem with almost every MB on the road. I just bought a used 2009 CLK 350 Cabriolet Convertible and it had warped rotors when I drove it off the lot. The car has 28k miles on it, one owner, the owner took very good care of it but I noticed at 10k miles they had an alignment done. Sadly for them it was not the alignment.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...7V308-8769.pdf

I currently have a message in to my dealers manager to see what they are willing to do for me on this issue. Hopefully I can get them to upgrade the software, even if I have to pay for it myself it will save me a lot of money in the long run because replacing rotors yearly will pay for the upgrade in two years or less.

So what is happening is the software causes the brakes to apply under normal conditions and it essentially acts like a stuck caliper and is applying the brakes on and off constantly. This in turn over heats the rotors warping them and in some cases it can get so bad the brake fluid gets too hot which can cause a car fire according to the attachment from MB.

When I find out what MB is willing to do to fix this I will post a followup. I doubt the software update mentioned in the link will work for my CLK but if in fact they have a revision for the CLK I will get the version number and post it here so you know what software to ask for.

If anyone else has information along these lines please comment.