GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Negotiate price before ordering or after?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2014 | 09:00 AM

ML350
I too locked in the price while completing my order. Just a tiny bit under 12% back in January for an ML. The caveat was no more discounts regardless of what deals came down by delivery. I guess I still had the option to walk away from my deposit and renegotiate. But then MB didn't have any special offers by delivery. I didn't have a trade either.
Old 10-30-2014 | 12:36 AM

2013 BMW 550ix
Does MB allow a lock in at time of order now or is the dealer assuming the risk of upward movement on those numbers?

My dealer says you cannot lock in at time of ordering. I'm assuming this is because they would be the ones taking the risk on number movement but dunno.

Also, dealer says 1K non-refundable deposit. So basically, I have no leverage that they will be honest about the numbers at time of delivery. If they don't budge on these, then I'm left feeling a bit uncomfortable about ordering.

I suppose they have reason to be honest with me to turn me into a repeat customer but you never know for sure.

Last edited by cordoor; 10-30-2014 at 12:39 AM.
Old 10-30-2014 | 01:10 AM

'15 GL450
Originally Posted by cordoor
Does MB allow a lock in at time of order now or is the dealer assuming the risk of upward movement on those numbers?

My dealer says you cannot lock in at time of ordering. I'm assuming this is because they would be the ones taking the risk on number movement but dunno.

Also, dealer says 1K non-refundable deposit. So basically, I have no leverage that they will be honest about the numbers at time of delivery. If they don't budge on these, then I'm left feeling a bit uncomfortable about ordering.

I suppose they have reason to be honest with me to turn me into a repeat customer but you never know for sure.
Is this the only dealer around where you live? If not or if you are willing to drive a little farther, go visit another dealership. Why deal with such clowns? This sort of crap is unheard of in my neck of the woods!

Last edited by luv2sleep; 10-30-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-30-2014 | 02:08 AM

GL550
Sound like sleaze bags - highly recommend finding another dealer - even if you have to drive or hop a short flight at pick up time. Try emailing other dealers with what you are looking for and see which one bites.
Old 10-30-2014 | 08:26 AM

ML350
The risk of a price change can go either way. My dealer specifically stated this is the deal and I would not receive any MB incentives offered between then and delivery, which ended up being three months. They also honored the discount as I added additional options right up until it went red in their STAR system.

Been dealing with this dealership for more than a decade so I never considered them pulling the offer. Take the time to find a dealership you like, one that doesn't make you so suspicious after you walk out the door.
Old 10-30-2014 | 09:16 PM

2013 BMW 550ix
Originally Posted by luv2sleep
Is this the only dealer around where you live? If not or if you are willing to drive a little farther, go visit another dealership. Why deal with such clowns? This sort of crap is unheard of in my neck of the woods!
There is one other dealer about 45 minutes away and they are much worse (require a 5K non-refundable deposit and no less than MSRP on price). I have to go out of state to find any other dealers.

I could certainly go out of state. I've done it before when leasing vehicles from that other German car company whose name starts with a B.

The struggle I have going out of state is that I like test driving the various vehicles and trims before deciding on what I want to order. The local dealer is the one spending the time with me to do this. So I'd like to give them my business if possible.
Old 10-31-2014 | 09:59 AM

GL550
I had to go back to see what model you were looking for. For a new GL450 this makes no sense. You should identify the internet sales manager at various dealers and email them you are ready to buy and what you want. If nothing else you can share that with your local dealers or at best you get a good deal and have it shipped to you.