GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

S class of SUVs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2014 | 03:16 AM

S class of SUVs

So GLs are really the S class of SUVs.

Does that mean our cars gonna depreciate slower?

I wanna go and rebadge mine to GLS right now.
Old 11-14-2014 | 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
Originally Posted by jtse
So GLs are really the S class of SUVs.
Agree with that statement.

Does that mean our cars gonna depreciate slower?
S class is one of the biggest depreciation whole on the market. I wouldn't like GL to follow this pattern

I wanna go and rebadge mine to GLS right now.
This is defenetly will look bad
Read above ....
Old 11-14-2014 | 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
the S class depreciation is AWFUL, so not sure that's a good thing, lol.

from my observation, the lowest depreciation MB cars (on annual % basis) has been the G wagon and GLK, historically...going forward - who knows, but it's definitely not the AMGs, which is why I always buy them used

PL
Old 11-15-2014 | 08:51 PM

My post was sarcasm. It would have helped if I included the new nomenclature change that MB is gonna do. Sorry for the confusion.

:P
Old 11-20-2014 | 11:40 PM

b200 plus bmw, peugeot
The S class has horrific depreciation, as does the 7 series and the Audi A8. Being across all brands suggest this depreciation is not related to the letter 'S', but the nature of the vehicles themselves.

All 3 have been positioned as the pinnacle of automotive technology of the brand, and yet somehow they quickly lose value.

One theory I have is that cars ae about identity. To most people, all of the above models are a 'mercedes', a 'BMW' or an 'Audi' in the same way an E class, or C class is also a mercedes. Paying extra for one mercedes compared to another becomes less relevant in the used market where they are all 'a mercedes'. Plus, running costs become more significant compared to purchase price as cars age and all of these premium models are preceieved as having higher running costs. Plus, some of the design features are those sitting in back, and that may be less relevant in the used car market.

I suggest is it more the range of lower cost merceds SUVs that will put the GL (or I guess I should say GLS) in the same postion as the S for sedans.

But if the 'GL' (or now 'GLS') does move to the same brand position as the S will it suffer the same depreciation?
Well, the GLA,GLB,GLC,GLE will mean that there is a whole range of lower priced mercedes SUVs. But it is the only 7 seat mercedes SUV still.