GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Towing with GL450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 12:06 AM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
Towing with GL450

Anyone occasionally tow with their GL?

Looking to hook up the car trailer for short (<100 mile) trips to the track, a near 7k load.

Certainly not lookIng or expecting to set any speed records, more concerned with airbag handling of rear squat and overall stability at highway speed.

All GL's are rated to 7500lbs, but I've been down this road before with other trucks and that doesn't always tell the entire story.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
GL350
Be careful of the tongue weight. 600# limit and weight distributing hitch not allowed. It doesn't take much to get to 600#, especially if you're talking a 7000# trailer. In fact, with a 7000# trailer, the standard 10-15% tongue weight rule of thumb puts you over the car's tongue weight limit even though the gross weight of the trailer is within limits.

Load the car as far to the rear as possible and put it on backwards if it's a nose heavy car.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:53 PM

2015 gl450
I'm checking tinge weight with this particular trailer over the weekend. It's an aluminum deck trailer, so I'm hoping we'll be within spec. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:54 PM

GL350
Accurately measuring tongue weight is probably pretty difficult without a tongue weight scale. I bought one a while back for about $125, as I recall. I don't recall the manufacturer, but I'm sure googling "tongue weight scale" or some such will lead right to one.

I recall reading how to rig up two bathroom scales to somehow do it, but it seemed very convoluted, a large PITA and of questionable accuracy. Besides, with a 7000# trailer (including the load) I'd be very surprised if your tongue weight isn't far in excess of 600# so you'd probably break the bathroom scales on top of not getting an accurate reading.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:56 PM

2015 gl450
There are couple different ways to calculate the tongue weight that I know of, bathroom scale is one. You can measure the weight 3'-4' from hitch to keep it within the scales range.

I'll report back.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:05 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
GL 350
Originally Posted by Dog hauler
Be careful of the tongue weight. 600# limit and weight distributing hitch not allowed.
Just curious, why do you think weight distributing hitch is not allowed on GL? Does the manual say that? I have a first generation GL and the manual does not say anything. Maybe this has changed for the 2nd generation GL, not sure.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:30 AM

2015 gl450
Looks like I'm gonna overshoot that 600lb tongue weight limit by 100lbs or so.

Gotta look into this further as it doesn't make sense to me they would rate the tow at 7500lbs and give you an 8% tongue limit.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:24 PM

GL350
Originally Posted by RostamDastan
Just curious, why do you think weight distributing hitch is not allowed on GL? Does the manual say that? I have a first generation GL and the manual does not say anything. Maybe this has changed for the 2nd generation GL, not sure.
It's in the manual. I also checked with the dealer, who checked with MB (so they said) and weight distributors are a no-no. Probably because of the way the hitch is bolted to the unibody.

Originally Posted by Mike450
Looks like I'm gonna overshoot that 600lb tongue weight limit by 100lbs or so.

Gotta look into this further as it doesn't make sense to me they would rate the tow at 7500lbs and give you an 8% tongue limit.
Yes, it's stupid. But, if you wish to confirm the tongue weight either look in the manual or call MB. And if you really want to see something that makes no sense, take a look at the maximum allowable distance from the face of the receiver to the center of the ball shaft. It is laughably (not to mention impossibly) short. I don't recall the spec off the top of my head, but it's really, really short. Even if a weight distributing hitch was allowed, the receiver face to ball shaft distance would exceed spec by about 3x.

I wouldn't worry about 100# over weight if it was me. There is so large a safety margin build into these published limits that another 100#s can't possible make much difference. Although the farther out of spec you are on the receiver to ball shaft distance (and you are), the worse that 100# overage is.

And if your loaded trailer weight is anywhere close to the 7000# you mentioned earlier, I'm shocked that the tongue weight is only 700#...how did you do your measurement?
Old 06-19-2015, 09:36 PM

GL 350
Originally Posted by Dog hauler
It's in the manual. I also checked with the dealer, who checked with MB (so they said) and weight distributors are a no-no. Probably because of the way the hitch is bolted to the unibody.
Not to be picky here, but I know that the 2012 GL manual does not ban weight distribution hitches. I also looked at 2015 GL manual (its online at http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...al/2015_GL.pdf), and it does not seems to ban weight distribution hitches either. I spoke with my dealer once and they said use weight distribution hitch for heavy loads, to restore weight on front axle.

I know other German SUV's like Porsche, VW, and Audi explicitly ban weight distribution hitches in their manual. Mercedes does not seem to do so.

The photo of your dogs is nice
Old 06-19-2015, 10:44 PM

GL350
Not to be picky here, but I know that the 2012 GL manual does not ban weight distribution hitches. I also looked at 2015 GL manual (its online at http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...al/2015_GL.pdf), and it does not seems to ban weight distribution hitches either. I spoke with my dealer once and they said use weight distribution hitch for heavy loads, to restore weight on front axle.

I know other German SUV's like Porsche, VW, and Audi explicitly ban weight distribution hitches in their manual. Mercedes does not seem to do so.

The photo of your dogs is nice
You might want to call MBUSA on that. The wimpy toe specs are apparently due to unibody construction and the way the hitch is not so robustly attached to the vehicle.

This is of interest, as well: https://www.etrailer.com/question-64347.html

With the GL, only one tongue weight is given in the manual and on the hitch, itself. The limit is 600#. If additional tongue weight were allowable, there would be a second tongue weight rating.

Then there is the issue of MB specs 7.5" as the maximum length from the center of the hitch pin to the center of the ball shaft. There isn't a weight distributor in the world that short. It's hard enough to find an ordinary hitch that short.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:54 PM

2015 gl450
No firm measurements have been taken as of yet, so our tongue weight was only an estimate so far.

We are looking at a gross trailer weight of ~6,600lbs.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:55 AM

2015 gl450
And we have an issue.

No one lists a 2015 GL450 trailer hitch being available. There are 2013 units available, as well as 2014, but even those are different from year to year. Need to dig further and see if 2014 is compatible with 2015.

Dealer wants $2800 for one ... lol
Old 06-23-2015, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
The 2015 GL/ML dealer "retrofit kit" roughly $950 - contains the hitch, revised rear bumper "foam impact block", module connecting box, and factory hitch wiring harness for full "factory-like" install - the good news is the r 2015+ rear SAM module adapts, so now new SAM is required.

The other good thing is that there are extensive WIS install instruction - from A-to-Z including the full wiring connect - including running the retro kit harness up to vehicle front.

I believe - not installed/confirmed yet - you get full MB hitch function including COMAND call out - anti-see/saw, etc.

The bad thing - for the whole job - WIS labor is estimated at 8 shop hours - and that's the rub..
Old 06-24-2015, 08:52 AM

2015 gl450
So a 2015 ML kit is the same for the 2015 GL?

Thanks for the info fab.

Edit:

I now see why they quote 8 hours for the install. The factory kit requires removal of seats and dash, not something I'm looking to do.

I need to find an aftermarket kit for now.

Last edited by Mike450; 06-24-2015 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 GL450, '14 Audi S4, '13 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, '65 Arntz-Butler Cobra Replica

Why, yes, occasionally we do! Can tow this easily, no issues. This particular trailer is rated 6000 loaded.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:35 AM

2015 gl450
Nice Cobra!

Curt Manufacturing part number #13190 for the 2014 GL carries over to the 2015.

I'll deal with the wiring and trailer system over the summer. Need the hitch for bike rack now.

And for anyone reading this wondering if they should order their truck with a hitch, the answer is YES. The receiver alone is costing me $350 installed. Wish I would have thought of this 4 months ago.

Last edited by Mike450; 06-24-2015 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GL350. BMW 335. 2014R1200RTW
If you didn't order the GL with a factory installed hitch and haven't even started figuring trailer brakes (prodigy RF for me) then I would rent a good tow vehicle. You'll be better off in the long run...
Old 06-26-2015, 11:49 AM

2015 gl450
Originally Posted by JMCarter
If you didn't order the GL with a factory installed hitch and haven't even started figuring trailer brakes (prodigy RF for me) then I would rent a good tow vehicle. You'll be better off in the long run...
I do have other tow vehicle options, but yes, the GL will be delegated to light trailer and bike rack duties only for sure.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:43 AM

GL450, E320, GLC Coupe
Hopefully someone here can help. I have a 2014 GL 450 and a two-horse trailer with dressing room, 3700# empty. Once I load it with my one horse and gear, I estimate to be around 5500#, well within the power capability of the GL. I used to tow this trailer with our Excursion, so I'm used to a smooth, uneventful trailering experience! My husband maintains that I shouldn't need a weight distribution hitch because of the air suspension, but I find that I'm just not comfortable towing with this setup, and when I park the rig, it seems the back of the truck is sagging. I'm using a Prodigy RF brake system, which is mounted on the trailer where a WD hitch bracket would be, further complicating this equation. I've read in this forum that a weight distribution hitch is a no-no because of the unibody, but can't find anything about that in the owner's manual. Etrailer.com mentions that if the sticker on the hitch has two values for tongue weight, then you can use a WD system. Mine has only one value. I don't believe my tongue weight exceeds the 600# spec, but haven't confirmed it yet. Coincidentally, a friend of mine has a slightly smaller/lighter horse trailer and has a WD system on her GL and feels comfortable with the setup. Hopefully she's not causing an issue with her GL! Thanks for any feedback.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:37 PM

GL 350
Originally Posted by liselensky
Hopefully someone here can help. I have a 2014 GL 450 and a two-horse trailer with dressing room, 3700# empty. Once I load it with my one horse and gear, I estimate to be around 5500#, well within the power capability of the GL. I used to tow this trailer with our Excursion, so I'm used to a smooth, uneventful trailering experience! My husband maintains that I shouldn't need a weight distribution hitch because of the air suspension, but I find that I'm just not comfortable towing with this setup, and when I park the rig, it seems the back of the truck is sagging. I'm using a Prodigy RF brake system, which is mounted on the trailer where a WD hitch bracket would be, further complicating this equation. I've read in this forum that a weight distribution hitch is a no-no because of the unibody, but can't find anything about that in the owner's manual. Etrailer.com mentions that if the sticker on the hitch has two values for tongue weight, then you can use a WD system. Mine has only one value. I don't believe my tongue weight exceeds the 600# spec, but haven't confirmed it yet. Coincidentally, a friend of mine has a slightly smaller/lighter horse trailer and has a WD system on her GL and feels comfortable with the setup. Hopefully she's not causing an issue with her GL! Thanks for any feedback.
We have a 2012 GL 350 and the sticker on the hitch specifies 600# for both weight distribution and no weight distribution (weight carrying). I doubt 2014 be any different. I am just wondering whether your hitch is OEM (i.e. is factory, not after market). If factory, you can use weight distribution hitch, but are still limited to 600# tongue weight (which you seem to be under that). Maybe you can relocate the Prodigy RF to accommodate a weight distribution hitch? Anyways, when properly setup, GL is an excellent tow vehicle. And you should have no problem towing a 5500# trailer.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:22 AM

GL450, E320, GLC Coupe
We have a 2012 GL 350 and the sticker on the hitch specifies 600# for both weight distribution and no weight distribution (weight carrying). I doubt 2014 be any different. I am just wondering whether your hitch is OEM (i.e. is factory, not after market). If factory, you can use weight distribution hitch, but are still limited to 600# tongue weight (which you seem to be under that). Maybe you can relocate the Prodigy RF to accommodate a weight distribution hitch? Anyways, when properly setup, GL is an excellent tow vehicle. And you should have no problem towing a 5500# trailer.
Thanks, Rostam. Here's a photo of the sticker on my hitch - it is OEM. Does yours have another value for WD? Mine just has the one, as you can see, as well as limitations for the extension of the shaft - which would also be greater than the maximum if I were to use a WD hitch.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:59 PM

GL 350
Thanks, Rostam. Here's a photo of the sticker on my hitch - it is OEM. Does yours have another value for WD? Mine just has the one, as you can see, as well as limitations for the extension of the shaft - which would also be greater than the maximum if I were to use a WD hitch.
Hmm, this is indeed different. The first generation GL has a hitch with 2 ratings. Not sure, maybe Mercedes has changed the receiver in the second generation GL?

What I would do is to weigh your setup with trailer attached at a truck stop. If you are not exceeding the rear axle rating (and GVWR), then I would try it out with no weight distribution hitch. Just keep your speed a bit lower. My 2 cents.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:39 PM

GL 350
I was curious and stopped by the dealer and looked at a 2018 GLS 550 in the show room. The hitch had only weight carrying rating (no weight distribution rating). Also, the max distance to the ball was 7.5" (instead of 10.5" or 11" in the old hitch). Not sure when this change happened. The second generation GL was introduced in 2013 and I believe it had a mid-cycle refresh in 2017. I could not crawl under the GL and inspect the hitch, but looking under the bumper it *looked* like the old hitch. Maybe something not visible has changed in the hitch or the chassis? Anyways, this rules out GL as our next tow vehicle (and means we will keep our current GL for a very long time). Its a shame as GL is a very stable and capable tow vehicle. I guess it can still be used to tow boats, and just not campers (which almost always require weight distribution).
Old 07-27-2018, 12:52 PM

GL450, E320, GLC Coupe
Agree - for me it isn't worth risking an accident, especially when pulling a horse. I decided to sell my extra large horse trailer (tongue weight 660 lbs) and get a smaller version that has a tongue weight of 480 lbs, just so that I don't need the weight distribution. What I've read here and at etrailers.com is that the hitch is welded to the unibody, so the wd hitches are banned because of the stress they put on the unibody. I never heard back from Mercedes USA, but sold my trailer over night, so it's a non-issue at this point! Thanks for your reply!
Old 11-13-2018, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GL450
What brand trailer are you towing?

We just got a 2015 GL450, to tow our Little Guy Tag (basically a rolling King Sized Bed with a kitchen in the back). I currently tow with a 1999 F350 diesel (3 horse slant load GN) and would love to downsize into a small BP as we only have one horse now. Any suggestion on brands of horse trailers to look at for short hauls? The 450 towed the Tag perfectly, never even knew it was back there (once we got the adapter for our LED lights).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Towing with GL450