GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Tailgate has mind of its own

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 09:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'14 GL550 , '79 911SC
Tailgate has mind of its own

Several times I have found my tailgate open, without any intentional input on my part. Typically I carry my keys in my pocket - is it likely that I am inadvertently contacting the "open" button on my key fob? Any way to lock the tailgate, or disable the button on the fob, so that it doesn't reoccur?
Old 11-23-2015, 09:38 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
2002 C4 Cab, 2014 Audi A5 cab, 2017 X5 35d
In all likelihood it's the same as a 'buttcall' on your phone but no more likely to pop the tailgate than lock/unlock the vehicle. Is that happening too? I'm not aware of any way to disable the key.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:14 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
'16 GL550, '12 C350
Pretty funny! I've had my GL550 for a few weeks now and the tailgate has opened twice. It's a weird feeling going to the garage and seeing the tailgate open. I ended up attributing this to my key pouch in my pocket, the rivet pushing against the fob opener button. After some shifting of the key position in the pouch it hasn't happened again.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 GL450
I have a 2012 GL450, and I had the problem several times when the car was parked in garage. And because the tailgate was open when I tried to open the garage door, the garage door caught the tailgate when it was opening up, causing some paint damage on the tailgate.

I usually put the key on a key ring belt clip on my belt. One day when I squat down to help my kid with his clothing, I heard and saw the tailgate open. So I realized that it was because when I squat down, the tailgate open button was pressed (by cloth, or other keys on the same key ring, or whatever).

From then on, I always open the garage door first, and after I am done with helping my kids for anything (which often means I need to squat down), I put the key into the belt clip. From that day on, the tailgate never opened on its own.

I guess the tailgate button on the key is just too sensitive.

On
Originally Posted by Count Laszlo
Pretty funny! I've had my GL550 for a few weeks now and the tailgate has opened twice. It's a weird feeling going to the garage and seeing the tailgate open. I ended up attributing this to my key pouch in my pocket, the rivet pushing against the fob opener button. After some shifting of the key position in the pouch it hasn't happened again.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GL550
I've never had this happen on both of mine GL450/550. When I wash the truck and have the fob in my pocket. The doors lock and unlock when touching the truck with the wet mitt. My VW and Jeep did this too. My other keyless entry vehicles never a peep!