GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Premature rear brake pad wear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GL63
2016 GL63 Right rear rear brakes already grinding on rotot.

Originally Posted by Dog hauler
I have a 2015 GL350 with 45k miles. Recently, the Check Brake Wear warning light came on. I pulled the front wheels and there is plenty of pad left, perhaps 40%. Certainly at least 30%. In either event, not enough to turn on the warning light unless MB is trying to make a few bucks changing pads that don't really need it.

I then pulled a rear wheel and found that the rear pads are, indeed, getting down to where they need replacement. I find this odd for two reasons. First, 45k miles seems a bit early to wear through a set of pads, though I'm sure stopping a 5600# truck tends to wear out pads. The second thing, and I find this even more odd, is that it's the rear pads that are wearing out long before the fronts. I'm thinking that just shouldn't happen.

I tow more than occasionally and that certainly could contribute to faster than normal brake pad wear even though the trailer has brakes. But, it's still very odd that the rears are wearing quicker than the fronts.

Does anyone have any idea why the rears would wear faster than the fronts?
Yes, I only have just over 17k on my 2016 GL63. About a year ago,, I got message stating pads need to be checked. Repair guy said that the amber message will turn red when they need to be replaced. Recently I heard a grinding noise at the back right wheel when braking at low speed. Found out the inner pad has grinded out the inner rotors. Quotes over $1000 just to get both rear brakes & rotors replaced.

Next time I buy a car that's beed test driven by more than 100 miles, I'm going to ask for new brakes and tires before purchasing. I'm also suspecting brakes may have been swapped.

Last edited by Kyu Tachibana; 01-05-2021 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-06-2021, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
The rear pads have a pin that needs lubrication. If the lubrication fails, the inside pads will stick against the rotor and wear prematurely. $1k for rear brakes/rotors is laughable.