GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

16h drive from Florida Bought 2014 GL550 Diamond White Designo Porcelain Good Deal??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 02:03 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 S550 & 2024 Kia Carnival Prestige
16h drive from Florida Bought 2014 GL550 Diamond White Designo Porcelain Good Deal??

Just arrived after 16 hours drive from Florida to Chicago with 2014 GL550 Diamond White with Designo Porcelain package.

here is the link from the dealer. ( I should have some pictures soon)

http://www.claudenolan.com/VehicleDe...-FL/2690551803

Some questions to those that can help

- 10,900 miles, for $72K original warranty until April 2018, Good Deal ???
(its actually 12K miles after getting home )))
Sold 2008 S550 just two days ago. Still in the garage 2013 S550, also designo white on white with pano roof
Car is supper Clean

- can I buy Mercedes Benz expended warranty as the second owner?

- 96 days for service B1 (not sure what 1 stands for) take it to dealer? cost?

- I did not catch this when checking the vehicle, windshield fluid is not working (spraying) front or rear. I can hear the motor though, any advise?
I looked under the hood and checked the hose, seams to be attached.
Also, is the fluid heated?

- I cannot seam to get the TPMS to reset, I do not get any messages that is low, just does not wants to display current pressure, just cycles through a loop of using current pressure My 2013 S550 displays pressure of each wheel

- Very small condensation in the both headlights, Its covered by warranty, not worrying about it, but what are your thoughts ?

- Trailer Hitch, I need one, can some one help? OEM? at the dealer? get one from ebay? aftermarket?

- Any others suggestion? how to pamper new baby? )))

Thank you all
Old 01-24-2016, 02:05 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 S550 & 2024 Kia Carnival Prestige
Forgot to ask

is it worth to get MB Apps? internet access etc? features?
Old 01-25-2016, 09:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 CL & S600 designo Espresso's
A real beauty. I tried to find a GL350 in that color and with ANY designo interior, when I was looking for mine, couldn't be found.

Some questions to those that can help

- can I buy Mercedes Benz expended warranty as the second owner?

YES. There are individuals on this forum that offer, or know dealerships that offer discounts, do a forum search

- 96 days for service B1 (not sure what 1 stands for) take it to dealer? cost?

I don't know the cost yet haven't had to pay for maintenance. I believe you might still have maintenance cost paid for under the new car warranty. A call to any MB dealer using your VIN can tell you.

- I did not catch this when checking the vehicle, windshield fluid is not working (spraying) front or rear. I can hear the motor though, any advise?
I looked under the hood and checked the hose, seams to be attached.
Also, is the fluid heated?

It IS heated. Could be many things. Have someone look under vehicle and inside engine compartment while someone else activates the sprayers to see if there is a leak in the lines. Otherwise, the filter could be clogged.

- I cannot seam to get the TPMS to reset, I do not get any messages that is low, just does not wants to display current pressure, just cycles through a loop of using current pressure My 2013 S550 displays pressure of each wheel

Not had that happen before, probably needs a dealer "reset". Someone else might know a "trick".

- Very small condensation in the both headlights, Its covered by warranty, not worrying about it, but what are your thoughts ?

Notify them ASAP. As a general rule IMHO, especially with trim/lights/interior items, the sooner and the lower the mileage you establish the issue, the better. On my S600 the first time it happened the Service Dept's said condensation was "normal" and goes away, and since the lights were working, with no error codes, there is nothing they can do. I went to another MB Service Dept when condensation also appeared in the led signal light in the side mirrors, and they gladly made a warranty claim on my behalf. It's nice to have a few MB Dealerships to choose from, like you DO, in the Chicago area.

- Trailer Hitch, I need one, can some one help? OEM? at the dealer? get one from ebay? aftermarket?

That's rare to have such a highly equipped GL without the tow package. You can get them aftermarket, but because there are so many expensive electronics attached to the bumper, a bumper that has to be removed to install the hitch, I'd have the dealership install, just work a deal on the needed parts (at least 10% is given just by mentioning you're a member of MBA Club) Plus, I believe you will have to have it programmed by the dealer to recognize when a trailer is attached, and a different rear camera menu for coupling to the trailer etc.

- Any others suggestion? how to pamper new baby? )))

3m invisible (sorta) protective film to cover the front bumper, lights side mirrors to keep them chip free.

I just received a set of these mats for my GL350 (I think there is a posting from the company here) and they are AWESOME looking and would be the PERFECT compliment to your designo interior.

http://www.autopreme.com

Thank you all[/QUOTE]
Old 01-26-2016, 02:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,105 Likes on 810 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well... sorry there is some incorrect information from the prior post..

1) the most impartial 3rd party benchmark for "value" is edmunds.com - based on the options the vehcile has - examination of the CarFax - frankly you were exciited about your GL or you would not have flown to FL otherwise

2) Can I buy Mercedes Benz expended warranty as the second owner? - on that check with your closest dealer - since they need to check the VMI - or vehicle master record - 1st before giving you that answer

3) Based on time - your GL is due for B service - call your local dealer for that cost - and/or also ask for cost of 3-pack pre-paid maintenance if you "plan" to keep your GL for 3yrs/30K miles more - note, prepaid maintenance is not refundable in the event you don't

4) Winshield washer fluid - please check to see if it's empty - under the hood "blue" flip top cap

5) TPMS - I suggest you download the Owner's Manual from mbusa.com under Owner's Section - also use the owner's Section to register for mercedesME - which will also update the Owner's Information with MB.
Also - call Roadside Assistance - with VIN# in hand - and update your Ownership Information on your vehcile with them as well.

6) No, small condensation in your headlights is NOT covered under warranty - it's "normal" in your case coming from a high humidty area - best way to reduce/eliminate it is to do some night driving.

7) Trailer hitch - in large part the answer depends on your towing intention - there are three things: hitch - trailer wiring - and safety/interface .

The mechanical hitch you can price out both MB and aftermarket - such as Curt.

Functional trailer wiring can be aftermarket and/or added adapter for trailers with LED lights.

Safety/systems - I "think" for 2014 safety systems will require replacement of the rear SAM control module - this is for like ant-see-saw etc.

Your will need to check with your dealer - based on VIN - if that same needs to be changed - and/or if for 2014 the Mercedes "kit" - which is hitch+wiring, if for non-SAM change model (which I "think" started MY 2015) - again, check with your dealer.

No - a "new rear camera" is not installed.

If you want basic hitch + trailer wiring hookup - then that can be done by either aftermarket hitch guy or MB dealer - if you need SAM changeout and/or hookup for a brake controller, again you will need to check with your dealer - based on VIN# - as to what will be required.

Hope this helps a bit - keep the beat !
Old 01-26-2016, 02:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 CL & S600 designo Espresso's
[QUOTE=fabbrisd1;6687997]Well... sorry there is some incorrect information from the prior post..

I certainly take exception to your comment that I provided "incorrect" information. While my advice might have been, and was different than yours, and certainly something other than "check with your dealer - download the owners manual", or not as "technically specific" in the areas YOU wanted to offer EXTRA info, but it was not necessary incorrect.

Regardless, couldn't you simply comment/advise without the unnecessary, and quick, critique of others good faith input? GOOD GRIEF!

I offered my dealings with MY headlight "condensation' issues, which ultimately, WERE replaced under warranty with the assistance of my Service Advisor, along with the side mirrors on my S600. I offered my advice and experience to help simply offer Andrew assistance.

I NEVER said a new camera was to be installed. I said that the camera will be reprogrammed to offer a different/additional rear camera "MENU" selection to assist in connecting the trailer. Just my opinion on one of the reasons a dealer instal might be the less aggravating method, nothing more.

Last edited by 300SDLguy; 01-26-2016 at 03:14 PM.