GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Battery questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 Honda Odyseey Touring Elite
Battery questions

I have lots of questions since picking up my GL. Most days, I arrive a bit ahead of picking my kids up at school as parking is tricky and then I wait in the car worth the radio on and phone charging. I'm sure this is terrible for the battery...as it discharges it a bit. My previous vehicle had a finicky battery (known issue) and it had to replaced after a year which is not unusual. How long would you be okay running the radio and charging the phone on a daily basis without the engine on? Hate to waste obscene amounts of fuel just sitting idling.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I assume you are talking about a cigarette/charger - you're fine if we're talking about 1hr or so - no worries there...
Old 05-09-2016, 11:32 PM

Yes... Cigarette adapter...for less than an hour a day.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:29 AM
mtm

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts
gl450
That's my routine as well - 30-40 minutes sitting in front of school. Two weeks ago the car didn't crank on first attempt, then barely cranked and started. After it happened a few more times I took it to the dealer, they tested the battery, said it failed the test and replaced it under warranty.

A healthy battery will handle it just fine.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
With your door closed and the push to start button pushed once (battery position with foot off brake), with the display showing odometer/trip info, push and hold the OK and phone answer button simultaneously on the steering wheel for about 5 seconds. Vehicle Data will show up in a menu. Select Vehicle Data by pressing OK on the steering wheel. This will allow you to view real time battery status. You can keep this menu on while you drive or while you wait with the car off.

It's interesting to see how the fuel pump, steering, brakes, etc. effect the power consumption while you are driving. It's also interesting to note the time it takes for the battery to be fully charged after you start the engine. I've noticed it charges around 14.7 volts until the battery is back to normal and then it maintains 12.6 or so until you shut the engine off. If it drops below 12 volts, you don't want to be powering accessories with the engine off.
The following 2 users liked this post by 43221B:
aeggroup (05-10-2016), thegorilla (10-07-2020)
Old 05-10-2016, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by 43221B
With your door closed and the push to start button pushed once (battery position with foot off brake), with the display showing odometer/trip info, push and hold the OK and phone answer button simultaneously on the steering wheel for about 5 seconds. Vehicle Data will show up in a menu. Select Vehicle Data by pressing OK on the steering wheel. This will allow you to view real time battery status. You can keep this menu on while you drive or while you wait with the car off.

It's interesting to see how the fuel pump, steering, brakes, etc. effect the power consumption while you are driving. It's also interesting to note the time it takes for the battery to be fully charged after you start the engine. I've noticed it charges around 14.7 volts until the battery is back to normal and then it maintains 12.6 or so until you shut the engine off. If it drops below 12 volts, you don't want to be powering accessories with the engine off.
Awesome! Thanks!