GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Help with the wrench, SOS, info button on a CPO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 02:26 PM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
2014 GL450
Help with the wrench, SOS, info button on a CPO

I'm aware of the 3 months trial of mbrace+ on a CPO. I never did get around calling it. Prior to a recent trip, I thought it would be beneficial to give it a try while I was on the last month of the 3 month CPO purchase.

I pressed those 3 buttons for the first time but none of them worked. So I ended up calling the number on the letter about activating mbrace. The rep I spoke to asked me to press the "i" button (IIRC) for a few seconds so she can set it up, but I told her the buttons never light up. Searching the internet, it appears she's correct in telling me I need to bring it in to the dealer to have them program the buttons.

I don't intend to pay for mbrace anyway. At least not on this vehicle. Maybe in the future when I get one where I can remote start. That would be worth it in the summer/winter months. Here's my question (assuming the dealer reprogram the buttons):

If I do need roadside assistance BUT I don't have mbrace service, will the wrench button also work? Will it dial out for me to speak to someone?

According to Mercedes, if I have mbrace, the wrench button does the following:

>>>
What is the Wrench Button?
The Wrench Button connects you to a Roadside Assistance Representative who will also receive your vehicle information and location. The Representative will assist you in assessing which services are needed and dispatch the appropriate assistance to your location.
<<<

Also, I've always assumed I have roadside assistance for the duration of the CPO warranty. Is this a wrong assumption?

According to this website, if I call the 800 number for assistance, I can do the following. Frankly, roadside assistance would be all I need. If I lost my key, I don't see how remote door lock would help me. Even if the door unlocks, I can't start the car anyway and you cannot lock the car with the keys still inside the car.

https://mercedes-benz.custhelp.com/app/call

Press 1 for Roadside Assistance
1 If you require remote door unlock 24 hours a day
1 If your vehicle is disabled and requires Roadside Assistance 24 hours a day
3 Vehicle Features non Emergency Roadside
Old 12-01-2016, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
From what you describer:

1) Your mBrace unit needs to be "allocated" or condier that "reprogrammed" which is a technical thing - takes about 1 1/2 hrs in the service bay. Normally that reallocation/reprogramming would have been N/C so you could start/enjoy your free trial. Whether you can reprogram now for N/C and restart the free trial you never started - contact your dealer salesperson or a service advisor at your dealership

2) You can use the Roadside Assistance toll-free tel# - driver's visor - decal under the vanity mirro cover. Program that into your phone so you have it saved,
Old 12-02-2016, 10:59 AM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
2014 GL450
Thanks for the info. I'll skip programming the buttons as I've no plans to pay for mbrace even if I get 3 months free trial.

Maybe when I do bring it in for the first service I'll have them do it and ask for my 3 months trial then. Spending 1.5hrs at any Merc dealerships near me (3) doesn't sound like fun since they all have very poor review on Yelp. The dealership I bought it from is better but is also 1.5 hrs away.