GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Prospecrive new GL purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 10:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 Ford F150
Prospecrive new GL purchase

http://www.silverstarny.com/vehicle-...ny-id-14388314

New to the Mercedes world and am thinking of purchasing this vehicle for my family (more like for my wife) to drive the kids around in. We had a 07 Suburban my wife loved, and it ended up having engine issue's, so we traded it in on a new 2016 Ford F150 Ecoboost (super fast). It fits all of us (4 kids) and we put a cap and bedrug in it, but my wife complains all the time about not having this or that like we had in the Suburban. F150 has cloth seats, no DVD, yadda yadda.
We test drove the new Suburbans and she just wasn't impressed. Although nicer than the model it replaced it wasn't as roomy. So we started looking into other options. Had to have a rear seat entertainment system, it had to be able to tow, and it had to get better gas mileage than the old Suburban got. So she sent me the link above the other day. Low mileage, much nicer than the new Suburbans/Yukons, lower price, and could tow when properly equipped.
My concern is the maintenance ( I would buy the MB extended warranty), and if it would actually fit our family on road trips. It obviously has less room than a Suburban, but we have a cargo carrier if needed. We have big dogs too, but we can use the F150 for trips with them.
The plus for me is the engine (same as in the 550 from what I am reading, just detuned).
Is this example a good buy? I will be buying it sight unseen as this is in NY and I am in South Carolina. Anybody out there with 3 or more kids that can give an everyday snapshot on how this vehicle works for them?
Also looking into newer 6+ passenger vehicles (no vans...yuck!), but they are about the same price or higher than this Mercedes GL we are contemplating. Ford Explorer Sport is $45K and up. Thanks for your time.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:38 AM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
2014 GL450
Not that great. It is missing the Lightning package (so no bi-xenon adaptive lightning).

Also fake leather (may be preferred by some).

Pre-wiring doesn't mean it has RES which is what you said you wanted to have (DVD screens for back seats). You'll need to shell out another $1000+ to get OEM screens + installs from dealer.

Not sure if it has 360 camera either or lane assists (for blind spot). Even backup camera wasn't listed. It just says the following:

>>
This SUV is nicely equipped with features such as 19" x 8.5J Twin 5-Spoke Wheels, Eucalyptus Wood Trim, KEYLESS-GO®, Rear Seat Entertainment Pre-Wiring, Rear Side Airbags, and Wood/Leather Multifunction Steering Wheel.
<<

Basically 19" is the base rims. Appearance package adds the 20" + chrome trims.
Eucalyptus wood trim is hardly an upgrade.
KEYLESS-GO would be expected
Rear Seat Pre-wiring doesn't come with any screens
Rear side airbags would be expected
wood/leather steering wheel means it is non-heated since it is wood

Lightning package is a must on the GL. You'll regret it if you don't have it down the road. Lane and Parking Assist package was also a must on my requirement. I have appearance package as well which was a small bonus but not a must.

Based on the thin options, the low price (could even be lower) is expected.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:51 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
Hard to say whether the car does have lighting package or not. Looks like a zenon headlamp but Im not sure what a standard headlamp looks like either. But yes, lighting package is top of the list as to what this truck should have.

Honestly, this truck needs running boards, which is standard with the appearance package. Other than that, looks like a basic optioned GL.

If you're going to utilize the 3rd row, easy entry is probably a good idea also with smaller kids.

More than a few threads here discussing the must have options for the GL.

Good luck.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 808 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well... so you know exactly what it is and what it is not

I have attached the Mercedes spec sheet to give you full llist of features and factory options.

Please understand 99%+ of the GL450's come with the Premium 1 options - including COMAND navigation - and this particular GL450 does not have Premium 1.

That is not to say good or bad - but so you know.

If this is Mercedes Certified - again Mercedes Certified - then you would have Unlimited Mileage Mercedes Certified Warranty out thru Nov 25 2018.

I might suggest you also look at the $50K range - since at higher price point Mercedes Certified - you will have MORE features.

Your question on maintenance - normal maintenance is 1yr/10K mileage intervals - that is straight forward - the question becomes the cost of "WEAR ITEMS" like tires and brakes..

Again - I would suggest you research what MB features/options are important to you - then search for the right GL that fits what you really want.

From your handle - and your discussion - if you are currently deployed - stay safe - it can get "hot" out there - SFi buddy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
USMCERIC1 SPEC SHEET.pdf (44.4 KB, 129 views)
Old 12-08-2016, 10:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 Ford F150
Thanks for the information. Coming from a "lesser vehicle I never even thought about crazy headlights. From this comment I will have to go check out a vehicle with this option to see if it's even needed. The option sheet above is great! Thanks for that. Decisions need to be made and I thank you for giving me some insight as to what to look for.

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
I have attached the Mercedes spec sheet to give you full llist of features and factory options.

Please understand 99%+ of the GL450's come with the Premium 1 options - including COMAND navigation - and this particular GL450 does not have Premium 1.

That is not to say good or bad - but so you know.

If this is Mercedes Certified - again Mercedes Certified - then you would have Unlimited Mileage Mercedes Certified Warranty out thru Nov 25 2018.

I might suggest you also look at the $50K range - since at higher price point Mercedes Certified - you will have MORE features.

Your question on maintenance - normal maintenance is 1yr/10K mileage intervals - that is straight forward - the question becomes the cost of "WEAR ITEMS" like tires and brakes..

Again - I would suggest you research what MB features/options are important to you - then search for the right GL that fits what you really want.

From your handle - and your discussion - if you are currently deployed - stay safe - it can get "hot" out there - SFi buddy
Old 12-08-2016, 11:01 PM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
2014 GL450
Newer luxury cars already have LED headlights option. Even some regular cars have them as well. Xenon should be standard fare. Bi-xenon (lightning package) allows for adaptive lights based on steering angle as well as auto high beam when situation allow.

You don't want to drive around with halogen lights. That's for sure.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
2018 E43 | 2017 GLS450 | 2004 CLK 500
<<Comment moved to correct thread>>

Last edited by lowpost; 12-22-2020 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,978 Likes on 3,127 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
@usmceric1 How is the vehicle search coming along?
Old 12-22-2020, 01:14 PM

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
BMW 335d
Originally Posted by chassis
@usmceric1 How is the vehicle search coming along?
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he's not searching anymore.
The following users liked this post:
cadetdrivr (12-22-2020)