GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Deal or no deal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Na
Deal or no deal?

Hi all
Wonder if you might help me. Looking at a 2016 GL450 CPO with 9500 miles on it. It was a demo/loaner at the dealer. Specs in pic (sorry it's a bad pic).

sticker is $67.9 k, salesman told me the best he could do is $66 k. KBB says it's worth $59 k. I showed that to the salesman and he was pretty rude about it-- said he hasn't seen a KBB in 10 years. Maybe that's true-- I buy my cars with cash and keep them for a long time. Honestly his attitude turned me off so I haven't bothered to counter. Thought I'd check to see what might be a fair offer.

Thx in advance
Old 02-21-2017, 10:05 PM

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
GL350 Bluetec and GLS580
Cast a wider net online to compare. Carfax.com/Auto Trader.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:15 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 - GL 550
Call and demand to speak with Car Used car manager, try to negotiate the deal over the phone.
Sales man seems to be A Hole because no one would sell that many miles cars just couple of thousand dollars less. I would have just walked straight to the used car manager and would have asked for another salesman. Just call the Dealership GM or Mercedes USA directly and let them know about your experience.

I had the same issue once in a very big dealership and I just went on Facebook and wrote my comments and then to MBUSA and then the GM guess what he was gone.....These kind of stupid guys just leaves the bitter taste in mouth.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:23 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
Sales guy is either lying or stupid, or both, so why even consider dealing further with him? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say its won't be the last time he's gonna try to treat you like a fool.

Take a drive to the next dealership. It's not exactly a rare truck these days and there are plenty on the used market.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GL 450
Use Edmunds True Market Value website to determine price, much more accurate than KBB or NADA.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:07 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
2002 C4 Cab, 2014 Audi A5 cab, 2017 X5 35d
Look the sales guy in the eye. Tell him you'll pay $59k right now and walk away if he says no.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well... I would suggest for the moment to focus on what you value most... a couple of self-questions:

1) Do you know you would "out-drive/miles" in less than 4yrs if you purchased new/4yr-50K new GLS ?

2) Are you planning to buy/hold over 4yrs - and value extending the CPO warranty will cost less - and have extended unlimited mile - over extending new car warranty on new to estimated total ownership miles ?

If either/both 1/2 are yes - then CPO warranty has value to you - if no/1 and yes/2 then investigate cost difference between extending CPO vrs cost to extended new/ELW.

3) The kicker - is this CPO GL the GL you want - does it have all you want - and not have fluff for you that you don't want ?

If 3 is yes - you have the options - you have the miles - use edmunds.com to research value based on Certified - which will show under Trade-In/Private-Party/Retail.

4) "Buy Cash" - makes you feel good - you've earned it - but cash doesn't give you "lowest price" - leveraging a note with no prepayment penalty put a little more "meat" for the dealer/sales-manager back end - and justifies sharper front end price for the dealer - you just make one payment and pay off before 2nd payment - $60K note at 3% MBFS will cost you $150 in interest before 2nd month payoff - but you will get way more than $150 on front end concession/front end support from the dealer - willingness to finance - or actually financing - is no sweat really

5) Dealer has the right to ask for their profit - make it easier for them to agree to market price - without running the #'s - ballpark $1 off per mile/$9500 less dealer cost for CPO like $1300 - and less for CPO extras like fresh tires all around - all CPO dealers are not the same - CPO would clear 9500 mile rig normally for existing tires - like what a Cali dealer would be fine with - for some righteous dealers would do all new tires all around in value/niche markets to meet their market expectations

Hope this helps clarify - keep the beat !