GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Should CPO Come With Latest COMAND and maps?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GL350
Should CPO Come With Latest COMAND and maps?

First time poster. I am in the process of buying a CPO 2014 GL350 with Premium 1, Driver Assistance Package, Parktronic, Keyless go, Lighting package, powe 2nd row, etc. The only thing it is missing that I wanted is surround view. 34k miles.

i haven't taken delivery of the truck yet but I've put a deposit on it and filled out paperwork. When I asked, the salesman tell me he doesn't think a map update is included and said he'd get me a quote. Really? How is not updating the truck to the latest version of COMAND and maps not part of the CPO process?

I believe the latest version is 7.1. Correct?
Old 03-14-2017, 01:30 PM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
2014 GL450
Originally Posted by BoboPFunk
When I asked, the salesman tell me he doesn't think a map update is included and said he'd get me a quote. Really? How is not updating the truck to the latest version of COMAND and maps not part of the CPO process?
TBH, it is not a deal breaker for me. I've only used Waze or Apple Maps for Nav. Waze, Apple Maps or Google Maps would be 10x better than anything the stock nav can give you.

I do prefer the stock nav for 1 thing during long distance trip. It tells me when the next rest stops are coming up. Something which I wasn't able to get in the other apps.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GL550 & 2013 Mini Cooper
Originally Posted by jlim
TBH, it is not a deal breaker for me. I've only used Waze or Apple Maps for Nav. Waze, Apple Maps or Google Maps would be 10x better than anything the stock nav can give you.

I do prefer the stock nav for 1 thing during long distance trip. It tells me when the next rest stops are coming up. Something which I wasn't able to get in the other apps.
+1

Never a fan of the stock navigation system

Having car play might be different, though...I am not sure
Old 03-14-2017, 05:44 PM

2014 GL350
I 100% agree regarding the maps. In my car (not the GL), I use Wave every time I drive even when I know where I am going... just for traffic and police updates. Waze through Apple Car Play would have been fantastic.

The maps are one thing, but I believe there is also a COMAND update. There could be all sorts of tweaked/additional functionality and bug fixes.

Not a deal breaker. Just disappointing that bringing the SW up to date isn't part of the CPO certification process.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:21 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
2002 C4 Cab, 2014 Audi A5 cab, 2017 X5 35d
Originally Posted by BoboPFunk
First time poster. I am in the process of buying a CPO 2014 GL350 with Premium 1, Driver Assistance Package, Parktronic, Keyless go, Lighting package, powe 2nd row, etc. The only thing it is missing that I wanted is surround view. 34k miles.

i haven't taken delivery of the truck yet but I've put a deposit on it and filled out paperwork. When I asked, the salesman tell me he doesn't think a map update is included and said he'd get me a quote. Really? How is not updating the truck to the latest version of COMAND and maps not part of the CPO process?

I believe the latest version is 7.1. Correct?
Seems that nobody has really answered your question which is 'shouldn't the Command be updated as part of the CPO process. I don't think it's included in the CPO process but the dealer should update it per your request and at no charge. Personally I'd tell the sales person that I'm going to walk if the Nav is not updated.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
If we are talking about CD/DVD based COMAND Nav - there is nothing in the CPO process that "requires" map update to current version - so you know - NavTeq the map data copy provides the update and vast % of the update/disc cost goes to NavTeq anyway. YEs - as part of the "negotiation" process you can request frsh Nav update.

If you are talking new/gen dealer/Star Nav update - which is "free" up to 2x times a yr when new updates are available - AND customer requested. At the moment - the updates are coming out about 1x a year - and takes about 2hrs shop download. Again - as part of purchase - you can request download update if available.

COMAND update - any COMAND update - which are few and far between - are based on a Campaign - no charge - listed in the VMI (vehicle master record) - and YES - any Campaign issues would be done during CPO inspection/service
Old 03-16-2017, 09:24 PM

2014 GL350
Thank you anothercar and fabbrisd1. Very useful information.

The system is supposedly getting updated. When I pickup the SUV tomorrow, I'd like to check to make sure it was done. What is the current version number and where in COMAND can it be found?